1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WiFi - Slow to connect!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by janmars, Aug 24, 2005.

1. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an Acer Aspire 5020 notebook, and use a wireless connection to get onto my network. I have a Belkin Router / Access Point.

It all works great, and I get very good connection speeds. However, when I first turn on the laptop it takes about 2 minutes before it actually connects to the network. It just sits there scanning for wireless networks, eventually though it does connect.

When I take this laptop to my mums place, it has the exact same problem there. However my mums laptop connects to both networks instantly.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    not sure on exact details as they vary card to card, but on your laptop you should have somewhere a list of known wireless networks it has connected to before.. somewhere in the same options page there will be an option for only connecting to known networks, or connect to known networks in a particular order first, then scan for new etc....

basically, your wifi card on the laptop is ignoring the known configurations and going looking for new networks by the looks of it.. you need to alter this behaviour somehow..

what wifi card is in the laptop? are you using it's own card software to manage the connection, or using windows wireless manager..

If you're running XPSP2, the windows wireless manager thingy does a better job for most people... :)

3. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks that seems to have done the trick. I told it to connect to Infrustructure networks only.

The card is the built in one...it is a Broadcom card, and I use the Windows software to configure it (which is also SP2)

Thanks again!! :)

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    no worries mate, glad to help.. :)

5. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Heh well apparently it looks like I was mistaken. I am still having the same trouble... :/

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    go into the wireless connection properties, then onto the wireless networks tab... is your network at the top of the list? if not, move it to the very top...
    and... on the advanced settings, make sure the 'automatically connect to non-preferred networks' option is UN-checked.... make any difference??

7. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the suggestions; but my network is at the top of the list...and that box is un-checked...

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    hmm..

it's also worth checking for a driver update for the wifi card in your laptop... Wifi devices are notorious for having little niggles that can be easily fixed this way.. have you tried that yet?

also, are you using WEP? if you are and the driver thing is a no-go, try reducing your encryption down to 40-bit (you'll nedd to reconfugire at both ends), and see what happens then?