• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Wifi signal drops

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
The signal takes about 14secs on come on from sleep, which is not a problem, but it lose the signal.

Also when the signal is up, when i load up a app that connect to wifi, the signal goes off again :(

I had a 3G signal problem originally, so i did a General prefs reset network, and since my wifi is not working like it used too. No problem with the router as my Imac is working off it fine.

Any ideas before i take to apple. Come to think off it i did drop it once on a wooden floor about 2 weeks ago, but the i only noticed a problem a few days ago, after the network reset. I have restarted it etc. 3G works fine.

Should i try a full restore?
so itunes would first back up my iphone automatically?

thanks in advance
rai

Hi Rai,

Having a similar problem myself - WiFi is very up and down and then it struggles to find the 3G. I did a power cycle yesterday and that seemed to help things a bit.

I had a Touch before and the signal was much better on that than on the iPhone.

Please update us all if you get any more info!

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the feedback pboreham.

I just tried it around my sisters house, and the wifi works fine with her router, so its not a hardware problem thats a good thing.

Seems it having problems with my router, i will try and turning the router off and on when i get home and try and see what the problem can be. Should'nt be too hard to solve......he says :)

Thanks for the feedback pboreham.

I just tried it around my sisters house, and the wifi works fine with her router, so its not a hardware problem thats a good thing.

Seems it having problems with my router, i will try and turning the router off and on when i get home and try and see what the problem can be. Should'nt be too hard to solve......he says :)

What router you got? I've got a Home Hub (new shape) which works fine every day with my Macbook.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Try changing the security type on the Wireless connection on your router. I had a problem whereby for no apparent reason the iPhone decided it no longer liked WPA2. I changed it to WPA and it worked fine.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Solution

After days off not having any luck, i managed to find the solution for my problem, now my wireless siginal takes 1 second to come on the iphone from sleep, instead off 12, and not drop out when using any application that access wifi. Fingers crossed it stays that way. :)

Originally mine used to work fine, should a problem with wifi drop out occur with your own router, or even if you want to stabilize your connection anyway. You can try this:

I have a Netgear router. Though should be similar for others.

Router

1. Go your router web settings via your browser on your imac, etc
2. Go to LAN IP Setup > Address Reservation
3. Here you want to add a settings for your iphone.

iphone

4. Locate your iphone Wireless MAC address on your iphone General > About, scroll down to Wi-Fi Address.

Router

5. Add that into the router web setting for MAC Address, enter a IP address eg 192.168.0.10 Enter a Device name, eg iPhone 3G
6. Make sure 'Use Router as DHCP Server' is checked ON, it should have the IP fields already, if not use Starting IP Address 192.168.0.2 Ending IP Address 192.168.0.254

iphone

Go to settings - WiFi, reselect your router name again. Hopefully that will work for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom