WiFi music player, with clock and alarm - recommendations needed please!

quaalude

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there -

I'm new to the forum (hello!), and really need advice, so hopefully knowledgeable people might help!

I'd like a music player for my bedroom, but I have a list of features I need, and I can't find something that ticks all the boxes. SO here goes:

- Streaming music over WiFi, so I can connect it to my network and play music off my shares (2 PC's with shared folders).
- A decent clock I can see from bed (but not too bright!)
- An alarm, so I can wake up to tunes
- Chargeable, so I can take it into the garden on a sunny day
- Built-in speakers, but amazing sound quality is not a priority for me - as long as it's not totally tinny I'm happy enough

Does such a thing exist? Let me know if you have a recommendation!

Thanks for reading.

Sounds like a Squeezebox Radio fits the bill.:)

Hi nacmacfeegle -

Thanks for the recommendation, I was having a look at that actually, thinking of buying a secondhand one maybe.
I see from its spec that a "Rechargeable battery pack" is an additional option sold separately - but I can't find one to buy in the usual places...

Ack, just found the battery pack - £68.19 on Amazon.co.uk, yikes! With that and the unit, it's a bit more than I want to spend (was hoping for around £100 all in).

>£68.19 on Amazon.co.uk, yikes!<

Yep :( IIRC I got mine with from Logitech when one of their discount codes was circulated on t'interweb, so worth keeping an eye out.

Hi there -
Just popping back to say I picked up a Logitech Squeezebox Radio locally, slightly used, for €90, and it is wonderful, I love it already.

It has every feature that I said I needed in the OP, and also I can add my favourite podcast feeds, and listen to Internet radio stations, so I'm totally chuffed.
There's also a free iPhone app that allows me to use my iPhone as a remote control for it, so that's a nice bonus.

So thanks for the recommendation, nacmacfeegle - and I did just use an extension lead to bring it into the garden yesterday (the WiFi signal was fine), so I might not even bother with the battery pack.

No worries, glad you got sorted and are happy.:)

"There's also a free iPhone app that allows me to use my iPhone as a remote control for it, so that's a nice bonus."

I find that Ipeng (paid for app) to be better value than the free app, if that makes sense.

>I've found the alarm clock fine so far, but I've only used it twice <

It tends to be if you are using mysqueezebox.com that the alarm fails if waking up with a radio stream. Using a local Squeezebox Server is much more reliable.

The Radio has been subject to loads of s/w updates re. the alarm function, so an up-to-date firmwares should help.

>
It tends to be if you are using mysqueezebox.com that the alarm fails if waking up with a radio stream. Using a local Squeezebox Server is much more reliable.

The Radio has been subject to loads of s/w updates re. the alarm function, so an up-to-date firmwares should help.

Right cheers - I'm using a local Squeezebox Server, so hopefully won't have problems - thanks for that.

OK, that's not good news. I've found the alarm clock fine so far, but I've only used it twice :)
In what way do you find it unreliable, peepingtom?

I cant put my finger on it mate ... it was grand from new for ages. I nearly always go to bed with the earphones plugged in, and one of its features is the alarm clock will (or should) ignore the phones on wake up, and play via the speaker. This part is a bit hit and miss recently and I've no idea why. Also I have it set for 6.55am mon to fri ... for some reason on some mornings, bang on 7.00am after playing for 5 minutes, it will switch to an alarm sound. A bit frustrating.

I use MSB.com by the way, as I have my server turned off at night time. This could be the issue, but surely everyone should have it if its a firmware issue (im on latest)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom