Wifi Mesh

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by randywatson, Jul 2, 2015.

1. randywatson

randywatson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanted to start a thread on this as looking for some further advice. Seen a couple of good posts about potential solutions.

Currently undertaking whole house renovation and will be wiring CAT6 extensively. Looking at WiFi access over whole house, across large garden and even further if possible (park and pub :).

Current Virgin Fibre router isnt up to the task but dont want basic solutions like powerline or extenders with separate SSID.

Need high speed GB connection 2.4 and 5ghz preferably (and AC?)

eero.com might be a solution coming soon. Chester on another post mentioned Drayteks Vigor 2860 with AP900s as a solution but I'm a little overwhelmed and not a techie.

Aclass mentioned he was working with Ubiquiti i think but again a little overwhelmed with the choices on their website.

Ideally looking to be able to centralise a router and switch and extend with APs, maybe an outdoor version too to cover my garden/street/park etc.

Anyone out there with more advise.

2. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Draytek and Draytek or Draytek and ruckus. Ubiquity is an interesting product and apparently have a lot of power. It's quite an in depth subject so the help of a professional may benefit you.

3. randywatson

randywatson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agreed. I dont want to spend silly money and would be keen to do the installation myself and the house build/renovation develops but would likely need support for configuration.

Still, be good to get an understanding of the solutions...at a basic level :)

4. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Draytek are great for support. There direct support is to dealers, however. I'd pretty much forget Ruckus for DIY some of the major benefits are gained via zone director etc. you'll spend the best part of £500 for. Router and 2 ap from Draytek. You'll have a lot of reading to go through if your going to buy and deploy a solution yourself. You will also have to overcome any issues you may encounter from router problems as the isp is unlikely to be of any help with 3rd party routers.

5. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    If your using a Superhub you will need it working in modem mode and then Virgin will establish you have a working gateway. There are no cable routers sold in the UK.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    If you need help on Ubiquiti just drop me a line, already used it in quite a few installs.

With a few tips and tricks very easy to setup and quite cost effective

7. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I might be tempted to try ubiquiti at some point.

8. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    It's always a leap of faith when the stuff you using works for you.

9. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Draytek and Ruckus gets my vote.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2015
  10. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    There's nothing wrong with the routing aspect of the Virgin SuperHub for most users, although you won't be able to capitalise on all of the features the Draytek Vigor 2860 has to offer unless it is doing the routing. Draytek also suggest that you can deploy 2860 for WiFi management specifically, in which case give it a static IP address on an existing network and turn DHCP off. (It's possible to use DHCP on the 2860 in this scenario, but I'm not going into that here.) WANs also can be disabled. You'll then end up with a 6 port switch which you could place in a position where up to that many sockets are in demand.

So for that reason, I don't recommend switching the SuperHub into modem mode; not to mention the countless issues documented on the net in doing so, and not all SuperHub versions/firmware support it.

Do you depend on AirPlay, uPNP, DLNA or other applications that use broadcast/multicast on 5GHz? If so, Draytek's got issues with the AP900 right now; again, check out the Draytek forums and you'll see people reverting back to common-law garden stuff for this. The engineers are working on a fix, but in the meantime I lost a client over this issue! You've been warned.

However, 2.4GHz is great, in that respect you can choose to deploy a mixture of AP810s (2.4GHz only) and AP900s where faster speeds are required. Although it's not clear why faster speeds are required, just coverage, and for that 2.4GHz is better anyway.

802.11ac? Why?

Another benefit of the Drayek APs is the ability to connect high-gain and directional antennas via the mini-F connectors, but remember the APs are indoor use only, so only expose the antenna. Even then I don't think their IP rating is that good at IP65, it's not weather proof so be sure to protect it against rainfall as far as you can.

Otherwise the previous posts about this being a highly technical area and one where some reading/understanding is critical to the successful deployment of such a system is true. It's foolish to believe you can just throw these devices in; I'd even go as far as to say disrespectful to those network engineers who have spent 100s of hours in training and accreditation to gain the knowledge and expertise to deploy such systems. Of which such advice couldn't be offered in reality. I appreciate a renovation will take a lot of your time in other areas, but this isn't a subject you can skip read through and have ready issue free, it's fraught with many pitfalls and gotchas. Take your time, and if it helps, start small with the idea to expand later. You can always put your cabling infrastructure in and then deploy appliances later. That's how I'm growing my network at home which benefits me by managing complexity and spreading expenditure.

11. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I've used Draytek as a router in front of a Superhub in modem previously and had no issues. I've had multicast issues for which Draytek wrote firmware. They got around an issue with BT Vision which 3 other manufacturers had issues. Draytek were the only ones to apply themselves to a solution. Totally agree about the pitfalls of networking however. Even though splash screens are more intuitive and setup has been made simpler. The rules of the game don't change on how the system work and are deployed. There are many things to get wrong or cause issues.

12. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Yep, just remember that not all SuperHubs are the same and problems still exist for some. As said, Draytek are working on the issue, it's just unfortunate I had an impatient client here, but I'm still looking out on this issue as it may be important for future installs. So I'm now using an AP900 myself!

13. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    What issues were you having with multicast on the AP900?

14. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Specifically AirPlay to an ATV in the boardroom and access to a Synology NAS. Bonjour fine over Ethernet and 2.4GHz, not 5GHz.

15. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Ah I've never had a problem with AirPlay to an apple device.