Wifi help!?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Trueman, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Trueman

Trueman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I will put it as simply as possible. I have a sky router (white netgear version) and according to when I dial into the router settings it is a 'G' generation router capable of 128mbs connection.

Now, I have bought a new laptop with wireless 'N' capabilities (hoping to upgrade to an 'N' series router in the near future. I was just wondering why my 'Wireless Network Status' on vista states that I am only connected @ 54mbs. There are three options on the Sky router IP settings; B+G, G or 'always 108 mbs'. I have tried all three of these and none of them allow for a higher connection other than the 54mbs that I am currently getting.

Could any1 please suggest any options to me. Don't get me wrong the connections is good for browsing and what not, but I paid the extra and when transfering files over the network I would prefer the connection to be greater.

If it helps at all, the laptop is using the wifi link 5100 series of draft-n. I have not updated the firmware on this, to be honest , I have not checked. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. graystreet

graystreet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    To run at 108 Mbps you'd need a compatible card ( it was called "Super G" ), I don't think it was ever a standard in the same way as b or g wireless speeds are and therefore not compatible.

The best you'll get with a Draft N card is 54 Mbps, until you get your Draft N router.

3. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Quite correct IEEE 802.11g runs at 54 Mb/s. The 108 speed does not comply to IEEE standards but is proprietary and needs a compatible (Netgear usually) adapter.

The Sky router does not support 802.11n which is why your new laptop drops back to 802.11g.

You best bet for file transfer across your home network is to use wired Ethernet and/or Homeplugs. See the Homeplug FAQ.

4. Trueman

Trueman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks to you both. saved me time and hassle. I will hold out a while for a draft-n router. they look the business however for the time being this set-up suits my needs perfectly, I'm just being greedy.

BIG :thumbsup:

5. clarksonwayne

clarksonwayne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you really need a faster connection then 54mbs?