1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WiFi gaming - does it cause interference?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Dak, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I want to set up a WiFi system in the flat so that I can go wireless with the laptop and have the PS2 linked to the broadband.

Rather than a bridge for the PS2 I was thinking of having the wireless transmitter thing next to the PS2 and connecting it with a cable.

If anyone can recommend a wifi set up for this it'll help.

Main concern is that the wifi transmitter thingy will then be next to the PS2, which is in the same cupboard as the dvd, cd, pre-amp and 3xpower amps, video etc.

Will it cause any noise or other problems being so close to these bits of kit?
    Ta

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't know the PS2, its' networking abilities or what it's 'bridge' is, but I can see no problems of interference .. each PC on a WiFi LAN has a trasmitter inside it so proximity to the router/WAP is not going to make any difference.

I use Netgear PCI cards and cable router/hub .. if you're not worried about the problem of different brands then 54Mb systems like mine or D-Link etc. are probably the way to go IMHO.

Just make sure you secure it properly using whatever WEP protection it provides .. also look out for the ability to filter by MAC address, ie. specific network cards, this is a good defense to protect against outside users hitching a ride on your network.

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Here's what I've done, for what it's worth ...

Broadband router upstairs, into a hub, then into a Netgear WAP.

Downstairs, a LinkSys WET11 bridge, into another hub for XBox, PS2 and NetGem freeview box.

So kind of the reverse of what you're after :rolleyes: if I understand you right.

How's it work ? PS2 and NetGem are fine (not that I use 'em that often) - I've done all the beta trials for the PS2 games (SOCOM, Destruction Derby, Hardware Online etc) with no networky problems at all.

The XBox, however, just wont run reliably with this config - fine for a while, but then it looses the connection. I've taken to plugging the xbox directly into the broadband router for PGR2 sessions to make sure I can maintain a solid connection. No idea why, but it works.

As for noise (the WET11 sits behind a plasma, over the amp, CD, DVD etc) can't say I notice any problems.

Cheers, Carl.

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    WET11 here also - no issues.

5. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I'll have to have a look at the products because my virgin modem has usb leads and these don't plug into the ps2. Getting confused about what is adsl / ethernet / usb etc!

I am presuming that the telephone line can come in, the virgin broadband modem can go into a wifi transmitter via the usb and then as the box will be next to the ps2, if I get the right wifi transmitter I can actually cable it to the ps2 (ok so it won't actually be wireless) and then if I slot a card into the laptop and the desktop (and I think I can do something with the printer?) they will all share the same broadband connection.

All so confusing.......will let you know how I get on!
    Dak

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Umm, your USB modem won't connect directly to any wireless stuff unless it has an Ethernet connection on it as well.

Exactly what modem are you using? (make & model).

In desperation, there is a product that you can use to enable you to "properly" share this modem, take a look at this:

http://www.seg.co.uk/products/a_vigor2200usb.html, but it's not exactly cheap.

Normally you can only connect a USB modem to a PC and you'd then have to share the connection with ICS.

It can be done, but it means your machine with the modem has to be on all the time, or at least whenever you want to get connected.

You could just use something like this instead: Dlink 614+
    Which is an ADSL modem/router/wirelesss all in one box.

Put this next to your PS2, attach it with a cable. Then put a wireless card/adaptor on your laptop and away you go.

Let us know if you have any more questions. I've been running my setup in pretty much this way for some months now.

As regards interference, I wouldn't worry about it. I have my wireless stuff on 24/7, no problems with my hi-fi which is less than 2m away.

7. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AOD

Thanks v much. The modem I have is the speedtouch usb, which is actually pictured in the link you gave me. Virgin supplied this when I signed up to their broadband service.

I presumed that I therfore had to use this. You seem to be saying that I can replace this with a one box does all (?). That would be ideal. Thing is the d-link one that you have also linked to says:
    I was planning to go down Tottenham Court Road tomorrow and sort myself out with something. Only problem with that is that you must know exactly what you want as it is a road full of shysters!!! :D

8. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry mate, slip of the mouse.

Yes you can replace it with a one box solution (not forgetting the wireless card for your laptop).

Any of these products will fit the bill.

I would think twice before buying something like this in TCR. If you order it today online, you might even get it tomorrow. :)

9. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AOD,

OK, firstly you were right, I should have listened to you. As usual TCR is only good if you know exactly what you want and don't listen to the sales speak for the alternative products.....

I had a look at the D-Link and Linksys products and decided they are what I need. Put the box next to the PS2, connect it by cable to the PS2 and buy a wireless card to go in the laptop. Sorted.

Not that easy though as I was being pushed with a triband version, told to go for 'a', 'b' and / 'g' somethings, being told to go for a new product that has over 100mgps transfer rates and being asked what sort of firewall I want..

Am I being BBB (baffled by ......) or is there more to this than meets the eye? I want a good, reliable, fast, safe product and have a couple of hundred quid to sapre, but the less the better.

I will link the PS2 by cable, the laptop wirelessly, may get a desktop later (again wirelessly) and my lodger may want to link in as well.

Please let me know what you think.
    Cheers
    Dak

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/wirelessstandards.asp

I'd go with 802.11g. Tried and tested with plenty of compatibility and delivers 54Mbps. Way fatser than you are likely to need most of the time. Don't forget BB access is only 2Mb max so you'll only get the benefit of the 54Mb speed for local LAN file access etc.

11. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd echo Messiah's suggestion, look for kit that is 54g standard out of the box. By the way, 54g is just another name for 802.11g. The "54" refers to the supposed maximum transfer rate attainable (54 Mbps).

When I purchased mine, g stuff was still in draft spec but the standard has now been ratified.

The main benefits are better wireless speeds (useful for local LAN traffic) and enhanced wireless security, WPA, (although this might only apply to Windows XP, this seems to be the case with my Dlink drivers). Standard WEP security is a bit naff.

I went for a separate modem + wireless router. The modem just has a connection for the phone line and an Ethernet connection to the router. My PS2 is cabled to one of the Ethernet sockets on this and my laptop uses a wireless card to access the Internet via the router. In a worst case scenario I could connect my PC directly to the Ethernet socket on the modem if the router ever went bang.

Don't get too worried about tri-band wireless stuff. For a home environment, it's probably overkill. Any 54g wireless router is backwards compatible with the "b" standard kit, which is good because "b" cards/adaptors are pretty cheap.

If the router has an onboard firewall, that's a good thing. I would also advocate using a software firewall on any machines connected. You can get some good ones that are free for home/personal use.

Not only do they stop stuff getting in, but they can also stop stuff from getting out. Once you get your stuff setup, there are some sites that will tell you what is "visible" from your end to other users of the Internet. Basically they scan your IP address and point out any issues.

With a firewall in place, ideally you should appear to be "stealthed" or invisible. Let me give you an example, if someone tries to contact a particular port at your IP address, they can get one of 3 responses.

1. Open. (not good)
    2. Closed. (better, but it confirms the presence of your equipment)
    3. No response (best of all)

The best possible scenario is that your equipment gives out the third response to any unsolicited traffic. In this way, your IP address just appears to be a "black hole" with nothing of any interest there, as if there was nothing connected.

Most routers will as a minimum have a feature called NAT (network address translation) which effectively masks/hides the IP address of your equipment locally. This is a good first line of defence, with the addition of a firewall, it becomes even better.

My way to domestic harmony was to hijack the phone cable for my Sky connection. I never used any Box office stuff anyway and the cable fits the socket on my ADSL modem. All the kit is hidden in the TV stand next to or behind the PS2.

Broadband access and no visible cabling went down a treat with my other half. :smashin:

Final point, whatever you buy, I would advocate getting all the bits from the same manufacturer. Sometimes issues can arise (thinking of a certain Dlink ADSL modem combined with other brands of router here) that drive you loopy when mixing & matching.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Anthony

Great summary.

Any chance of a link to one of the sites you mention to check my visibility.

Thanks.

13. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you.

A link? I can do better than that, here's a couple:

First of all, Symantec: http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/

Choose the option for "Symantec Security Check", then "Scan for Security Risks".

Next we have Gibson Research: http://www.grc.com/

Look for the facility called "Shields up".

Lastly, DSL Reports: http://www.dslreports.com/scan

If you have *any* ports showing as open, then I would consider taking remedial action. I had one port open in my default state (port 113, IDENTD, mostly used by IRC). If I entered a firewall rule to block it, it would respond as closed.

To make it appear stealthed, setup a forwarding rule that sends any incoming traffic to a non-existent local IP address. This effectively makes the port stealthed because it then never gives a response of any kind. Sneaky, but effective!

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks.

15. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, thanks very much indeed. I think I am there and have worked out that a Linksys WRT54G will do all I need.
    Thanks again.

16. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a quick note to make you aware that the belkin router
    is having probs on XBL when trying to talk with someone with
    a netgear neither member can hear each other due to the incompatability of these two routers not sure if its the same for PS2

17. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You'll also need an ADSL modem as the WRT54G does not have a odem built in. Found that out to my cost as thought it had because they call it a Broadband Router. If I were buying again I would most likely but the D-Link all in one.

18. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Arggggghhhh!!!!! :suicide:

Made the same misktake - by the name I thought it was an all in one box. Must go and cancel the order......

Anthony recommended the D-Link DSL-604+ 22Mbps ADSL Wireless Router but I cannot see wheteher that is 'g' or what?

Thanks v much indeed.

19. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    hang on 2 mins and I'l find you a link to it

20. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  21. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  22. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't be too hard on yourself, you knew enough to research it first, it's scary how many don't.

The Dlink model I mentioned before while it is an all in one solution, is not 54g, you're quite right.

Something like these would fit the bill:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=80&ShopGroupID=38&Alt=Yes

Any of these packages (remembering to budget for a laptop card for those that don't include one) would do the job and they are all 54g.

An example of one that gives you just one box (in addition to the laptop card is this): http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=38&CategoryID=80&ProductID=809

Happy choosing. If you want some recommendations on hardware, checkout the forums at www.adslguide.org.uk.

23. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Only problem with Netgear stuff is there are compatibility issues with other XBL users using Belkin kit. I would stear away from Netgear if I were you, although their kit is very nice, and looks great.

24. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, they have let me cancel my order - thanks v much for your quick responses which have saved me!

Now going to order:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DLINKGCOMBO&pm=877

and a DWL-G650+ card.

Please let me know if I am making another stupid mistake!
    Cheers
    Dak

PS I am sending you both wireless beer chits; have one on me.

25. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    But in this case the intended console is a PS2, so XBL issues aren't really a showstopper.

26. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    That looks spot on. If you really want a one box solution go for the USR otherwise that looks great.

Thanks for the pint :)

27. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    But how long before an Xbox upgrade happens. You need a little bit of future proofing, but do agree immediately it would not be an issue.

28. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :eek:
    oooh please lets not get into the argument over whether X-box will be an upgrade, side step or retrograde action..........
    ;)

I got it right at last ! Order has gone in....:clap:

29. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Nope, never wish to go down that road but just saying always best to buy the product with the most compatibility.

30. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree - sure the kids will want an X-Box as well soon. PS2 online is last upgrade I can make on that I guess.....