Wifi for virgin media

tangomachine

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been on virgin for a good number of years at my current address and I'm more than aware how poor the superhub wireless is as standard. I'm moving house next week getting theVIVID 100 deal.

Going to be running cat5 to the tvs and various points in each room etc. Wanting to put the router into modem only mode ( can the new ones do this still? ) and have 3 hardwired wifi extenders. 1 upstairs 1 downstairs and one in the garden.

Anyone with virgin who uses extenders or boosters what do you use or what have you tried that's best

Thanks

All the Superhubs can be placed in modem mode. You will then need a router, huge choice depends what features you want.
The Ubiquiti AC lite is a good choice for access points.
I have a single AC lite on the 1st floor landing which along with an Asus router covers a 4 bed house + garden without any problem.
It's also worth while looking into the BT whole home mesh system.

For the avoidance of doubt, you still need a router to "route" (and NAT and Firewall,) even if you don't want to use it's Wi-Fi. Unless you have a good reason to change, you may as well use what you have.

If you put a router into modem mode, it'll almost certainly disable all but one of it's ethernet ports, stop functioning as a switch and a whole load of other stuff you still need.

Many SOHO routers will let you turn off just their Wi-Fi if desired - you don't (usually) need to use "modem mode" to defeat Wi-Fi.

You can certainly disable WiFi on Virgin SH2 and SH3 routers and run wired ethernet linked APs in desired remote areas of the house; I have done this for many years.

Using decent access points will help but the routing and dhcp on the superhub isnt the best, modem mode is the better option if you dont mind spending a few quid on a decent router. Tp link archers are decent, unifi/amplifi too, asus are not bad but i dislike the gui, you have loads of options.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom