Question Wifi for desktop

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by slowgsxr97, Jun 21, 2015.

1. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im moving to the new house, and the desktop computer is going where there is no wiring for internet. I need to make the desktop wireless. Im leery of the usb type options, and would rather have a motherboard mounted one for better signal. What one would I need to buy? Its an older HP desktop.

2. sep8001

sep8001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
  3. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that link.

Im not to computer smart, it shows this in the control panel

802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card LAN Adapter

Does this mean it has built in wifi? Even though theres no antennas or anything??

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  4. sep8001

sep8001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Sorry nothing attached. What is the model of the desktop?

5. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    That sounds like a Wi-Fi NIC. Nearly all laptops have them built in these days - usually the antennas are in the screen. Conversely the opposite is true of desktop machines, though it's not unheard of. I've had MOBO with Wi-Fi NIC's - on mine the antenna was a separate device on a fly lead which gave the option to experiment a bit with positioning.

There's nothing about being built into the mother board that makes "signal" transmitted necessarily any better. Whilst (IMHO) there are other reasons for preferring not to use USB, the quality of the signal is more a function of the antenna size and positioning rather than intrinsically being better from a MOBO based NIC. In a little USB dongle, by necessity antennas are small and close together and of course a USB dongle is physically rather "wobbly."

If you're going to spend money on this though, I'd give HomePlugs serious consideration as other have suggested. They are mostly well spoken of at AVF, (Greg Hook reviews them from time to time.) There's and FAQ about them pinned in this forum.

6. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The model is Hp Pavilion Elite m9426f pc

7. sep8001

sep8001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
  8. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    The published spec for that PC suggests that is does indeed contain a Wi-Fi NIC. Windows is usually pretty good about such things and won't claim you have a NIC installed is if isn't actually there. And it's PCI based which is waaay better than USB. Have a look round the back of the box - you might be able to see the antenna connector - they usually look a bit like a miniature satellite TV connector (in that it has a screen thread.) Again from the spec. the NIC says it has two antennas built in.

Should be easy enough to test though: Check that the device is enabled (you never know) unplug your ethernet cable and wait for (or prod) the Windows Wi-Fi client to wake up and start looking for a network. Just like any other Wi-Fi client, it'll want to know which WLAN to join and the passphrase - once the links established you should be good to go.

9. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting pics now

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  10. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I took it apart to snap some pics, when I hooked it back up I didn't connect the Ethernet cable from the router and I had wifi. So im assuming its built in??? I had full strength signal. Granted its only 4 feet from the router. Hopefully I can get that good of signal at the new house. The modem/router is in the basement probably 40' away.

Heres some pics, maybe someone can explain what I actually have, thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    Contrary to what I said earlier, it looks like the WLAN NIC doesn't have ay external connectors. As picture, the WLAN NIC is almost certainly the "top" one of the two, (the bottom one is the video adapter.) The two grey wires look like they are either the antennas themselves or connect to the antennas elsewhere in the case. RF cables tend to rather less "bendy" than others. The blue/black pair if wires are probably either an additional power feed or (I think more likely) a "Wake On LAN" connector. It would be interesting to see what socket they connect to on the motherboard.

12. slowgsxr97

slowgsxr97
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so with the info and pictures, is it safe to say im good to go using this on wifi at the new house without buying anything extra?

By the way, cant thank you guys enough for the fast, knowledgeable responses.

13. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    Yep - I'd say you're good to go if there's a good enough signal path (both ways) between router & PC and you won't know that until you get there and try it.