Wifi extremely slow - Need help - MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC

CTJP

I have an issue with my computer only getting roughly 1/10 the upload and download speeds as my old laptop. Same location in the house. I think it has always been like this but I didn't notice how bad it was until recently. I have gone through all of the standard wifi fixes with MSI to no avail. I then sent the mobo back to MSI for repair. After reassembling, the issue is still there and they claim there is nothing wrong with the board's wifi (they may have replaced something, though this was not clear in the notes). I am at a loss for what to do. I am considering re-installing windows, and tinkering with BIOS, but have not idea if doing so would help. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

CTJP

Ha! good thought but no. Same measurements and metrics. Speedtest OOKLA is what I have used.

DavidG1

Initially measure your speed with an ethernet connection and then again with wifi, update your post with the results, do you get any improvement if you move the laptop nearer to the router?
There are numerous factors affecting wifi speed, neighbouring wifi networks, interference from fluorescent lights, cordless phones, doorbells, microwave ovens etc. If you are using 5GHz wifi the penetration is not as good as 2.4Ghz
I would also update the firmware of the router.

Helios451

Have you speed checked your wi-fi using a different piece of equipment, such as a phone? Does that show a different speed or has something else convinced you that this is an issue with your PC?

CTJP

The mobo uses an external aerial , yes.

I went ahead and tested the computer about 10 ft from the router in the same room (10 times on both the laptop and MSI). The MSI performed much better but was still about 10-15% slower across the sample. If this was the difference observed in my room, I would not press on and would be mostly satisfied. My phone performs similarly to my laptop in all scenarios.

When I moved the MSI back to my room (40ft and 1 floor down) and retested, the huge wifi performance gap comes back (30 vs 190 down roughly).

Using the Ethernet cord, I get near-gigabit speeds, so no issues there. All things considered, I dont know what to make of this because I presume the large antennas on the MSI should generally perform better than my laptop in most scenarios. Both use 802.11 ac.

Thoughts? Is this a mobo issue? Should I send back to MSI again?

Helios451

Given what you've observed using your laptop and phone, it's not the actual wi-fi that's your problem, but the potential interference and attenuation that erodes the signal as you get further away from your router along with the potential weakness of your MSI in picking up the signal.

Also, just to set expectations, it's worth bearing in mind that the 802.11ac standard has a theoretical maximum data rate of 1.3Gbps, and an indoor range of 35m. It's also a signal that suffers from radio signal interference and attenuation through physical objects and distance. 802.11n has a 70m indoor range but a maximum data rate of 600Mbps.

Whether there's something wrong with the MSI mobo is difficult to say, though. It may just have poorly specified wi-fi ethernet components, and a rubbish ariel, which is not actually a board failure.

There are a few things you could try:

Set the router to broadcast on 802.11n
Get a new, better spec, external area for you MSI
Make sure your mobo drivers are up to date, specifically the one for the wi-fi
Check for any interference or blocking that you could change to improve the wi-fi signal
Get a PCIe wi-fi card and ariel

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

DavidG1

I assume your motherboard uses those directional stubby aerials. You may find this type of antennae more effective. These can be mounted well away from the PC and may be subject to less interference