Question Wifi extender to garden 'bar' for TV viewing

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by bendeneo, Jul 9, 2018.

1. bendeneo

bendeneo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I wonder if I can lean on you all for some advice please?

I have tried a few different ways to get internet connection down at my garden 'bar'.... mainly for simple music streaming and the occasional TV/Sky event.

The things I have tried:

- Originally for TV viewing I had a nice simple CoAx cable running from the SKY+ box.... and that worked fine.... but then I upgraded to SKYQ and there is no way to use an IO-Link box....

- I ran a 50m length of CAT6 cable, and used some devices at either end that converted the HDMI... this was a bit intermittent, and I thought it was the boxes I used, or the cable, but having tried another length of CAT6, the problem still remains (I actually tried a short run in the front room at the weekend, and that still was a bit intermittent - so no good for watching any sports).

So I have a couple of options left I suppose....

1) Run a great big length of HDMI down the garden (probably not a great idea), but this wont help me get any internet down there

2) Put some kind of wi-fi aerial on the outside of the house (using the existing CAT6 cable run, but it will now be 15m..... and then run everything over wifi down at the garden bar

Therefore, what are peoples thoughts please?

And if 2) is the best way, can anyone recommend a good wi-fi aerial set up that I can use please?

Cheers,

Ben

2. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
  3. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Ubiquiti do some nice point to point transmitters which work very well and are not too expensive.

802.11AC Indoor/Outdoor Wi-FiAccess Point with Plug & PlayMesh Technology

But I agree with Chuck that your best option is a digital modulator, which will give you 1080p over your aerial cable. Then just use your Cat6 for internet, connect one end to your router stick a Ubiquiti WAP on the other end, then install an access point at the bar job done.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    ive been using tplink av500 kit for a couple of years over extension leads from the garage which is 40m from the summer house - works fine for the sky/netflix/iplayer app on ps3/4 and means i have a wifi network up the there.
    tested at 43mbps in the house and 23mbps in the summer house