Wifi encription

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pwood, Mar 21, 2006.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Hi folks,
    I currently use WPA on my network but being a paraniod android I have come across this company who reckon they have a far more secure system which is avail for free download.
    Its called ipig.

Can the one of the resident forum computer buff tell me if this download is safe and if is worthwhile
    http://www.iopus.com/ipig/

Thanks in advance

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Why bother, turn on MAC address filtering and 128bit encryption. that will be more than enough. it's unlikely your going to get professional hackers trying to get onto your LAN.

All you need is something to stop your neighbours jumping on and stealing your bandwidth

3. kahunaav

kahunaav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    if your AP supports it you can upgrade to the new standard WPA2 which uses AES standard (256 bit) encryption which is very secure and can use very long highly complex passwords, use this coupled with MAC address filtering and it will be very secure.
    You will have to get the latest driver for the wireless card to support WPA2 as well, at the moment only Windows XP supports it via a free MS download.

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Thanks for the usual swift reply.

I cannot fathom how to use Mac filtering on my Etec router. I have the other type availabe as well which is Wpa or is it WEP cant remember. However I ended up with no wifi connection. I will of course have another crack at it.

I did think that ipig's pitch seemed fairly sensible especially for unsecure wifi spots. I'll take your advice and use the options you have all suggested even if it pickles ma heeed for a while.

Thanks again:smashin:

5. kahunaav

kahunaav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    the only thing I would be wary of is putting someone else or a service in charge of your own security, also the ipig service is 256bit the same as WPA2 so is no better, also its protecting the data sent/received to your machine but not protecting your wireless access point from people connecting to it and using it as "free internet" etc, mac address filtering is the minimum really to at least make sure you are the only person who can use your AP :rolleyes:
    if you have any questions about it feel free to pm me.

6. FeiJi Fancier

FeiJi Fancier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    MAC address filtering doesn't ensure your privacy, however, so your data can be harvested and MAC address spoofing is a relatively easy thing to do. Not to mention losing your credit/debit card details if you buy anything on-line. Encryption of some kind is a must.

Go with standard 128bit WEP - it's sufficiently secure for domestic use - and if you want MAC address filtering you can use that too, if you must.

WPA is more secure, but it would take 48hours worth of data (which would take weeks to collect in reality) to crack WEP anyway. That's something the military or government might want to do, but there are plenty of easier "marks" around your town to make it not worth anybody elses while.

To make it a bit harder to find your wireless network (but not impossible) you can hide your SSID - but that means you'll have to enter it manually when programming the wireless network cards in your PCs and other wireless devices.

7. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Always turn off SSID broadcasting, always use MAC filtering, always use a non-standard IP range (d.o.b or phone number both good), and preferably always turn off DHCP. ;)

....and if you live in a house with bricked-up windows and a crocodile-filled moat, you can always use WEP/WPA aswell.... :D

8. FeiJi Fancier

FeiJi Fancier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What was that old gag they had years ago about paranoia?

"Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they really aren't coming to get me"?

9. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    where do you guys get the info? WEP WAP incription etc?
    Post some good sites so one can enhance ones knowledge. I must say I am not freeking out about wifi too much as there are 3 unsecure networks I could access newrby without effort.

I mean there are some people out there that still think they dont need to tell their INS company about fitting alloys or a bigger spoiler to their car. oops off topic................

10. kahunaav

kahunaav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21