Wifi dead spot

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Tim J, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Tim J

Tim J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have just built an extension and installed a home cinema. I have a wifi router in my house and I am streaming HDMI signals using an Octavia distribution amp and receivers over pairs of cat6 cables. The problem is I have my router installed in my home office in one part of the house and connect to Ethernet for my work pc and wifi for my home pc and wifi for personal devices (ipad's phones etc.). However the signal does not extend to my new extension. The Octavia is installed with my cinema in an av cabinet along with a PS3 and Sky HD box and all linked via Ethernet & HDMI to a projector and amp. I don't have Ethernet running from my home office to the av centre albeit I do have a telephone line. So I cant connect my PS3 and sky box to the wifi as it doesn't reach. My thoughts are to either...
    1. buy a repeater.
    2. buy a better home hub (I have a bt hub) with stronger reach but I still cant connect my projector and av unit (unless I buy a wifi receiver).
    3. run an Ethernet cable from the home hub to the av centre.
    If I go with 3 can I simply plug in another home hub to distribute the Ethernet to multiple devices or do I need to run multiple cat6 cables?
    I tried using plug in extenders but the extension has its own mains power supply and surprise surprise wont connect.
    Any ideas as I want network connection in my cinema room so I can control devices using a tablet etc. network.jpg

2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Your best solution (reliability, bandwidth, ease of configuration) is number 3, run an Ethernet cable from your router (Home Hub) to your AV Centre and use a Switch (like this one) to distribute to other network devices at that end.

If you then want to use WiFi devices in the Cinema room you can plug an Access Point into the switch as well.

3. Tim J

Tim J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. However I still wont get wireless in the room. So the switch will help network the devices but if I want to operate them over the network using an ipad I still have the wifi deadspot in the cinema room. hence wondering if I connect another home hub does that act as a switch and also distribute the signal via wifi again?

4. Tim J

Tim J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry. just read the rest of your message (email only showed first few lines). Do you have any links to an access point which I could buy to connect to the switch?

5. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    If you don't need many ethernet ports, some people like to use a "crippled" SOHO router as a combination ethernet switch and Access Point. How to do so is described in the "Using two routers together" FAQ in this forum.

6. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Yes, if you need a combined switch/WiFi access point the WD My Net Routers (now discontinued in the UK) are a good option, you can pick up an N750 (gigabit switch) or N600 (100Mbit switch) for < £50. They're pretty strightforward to set up and give you dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) WiFi. Here's a link to the N750 on Amazon. If you need more ports on the switch (the N600/N750 have 4), there's an N900 with 7, but it's more difficult to find.

7. Tim J

Tim J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. so if I buy a WD MY Net Router do I simply run an Ethernet cable out of my existing bt home hub3 and plug it into the back of the WD NET Router. And then the WD acts as a new wifi access point and will also act as a switch to plug in my other network Ethernet devices? Or would I be better swapping over the bt home hub and the WD device so the WD is the prime device connecting to the telephone line/broadband. I actually still have an old bt home hub2 but would this do the same job and act as a wifi access point and Ethernet switch?

8. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    did you have a look at the sticky above ? (using two routers )

9. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Yes, that's correct. Just missing the first step where you connect the WD router to a PC and configure it as an Access Point (single checkbox) and set up your WiFi SSIDs and security.

Yes, the old HH should do the job as well (although it's not gigabit or dual band). Have a look through the sticky thread about using two routers (is there an echo in here ?). I like the WD routers because they make the configuration so easy.

10. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Try out you old HH and see how it works for you, it will be very easy to setup and test. Once you are confident with the setup you can always buy something better if you need to.

David

11. Tim J

Tim J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Read the sticky on using 2 routers. My exchange gets fibre end of March and just wondering if I should wait before buying a new router. Saying that I guess I could buy a fibre compatible one anyway as it looks like I link the routers via Ethernet (not WAN port). just curious though if a Fibre router is backward compatible with ADSL? i.e. can I change my Home Hub now but ensure its future proofed for when I can get Fibre (albeit I suspect BT will send me a new Hub anyway).

12. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    No they're not. I wouldn't worry about trying to second guess what you might need towork with some future FTTC product. Most ISP's seem to provide you a new router when you subscribe to their FTTC product.

13. Tim J

Tim J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I have successfully installed another router as a wifi access point and Ethernet switch using the 'Using two routers together' thread. Fantastic. One thing I am not sure of though is should I change the routers to have the same name and access key? Or should I just leave the devices to auto switch as I roam around the house?

14. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    Presuming you mean the wi-fi SSID name and passphrase, you can do it either way: If you want to avail automated roaming between the cells, then set the SSID/Passphrase the same, if you want to manually switch then set them different. Most people choose the former, but there's no "right" and "wrong" way to do it, it's a matter of preference.

Note that if you do opt for automatic roaming, it's the client devices that decide if/when to roam not the routers. It is something of an Internet Myth that clients are always "hunting for the best signal," rarely is this the case. Some clients are more dogged about hanging on to a working link, no matter how "bad" it gets, even though a better alternative is available. There's not much we can do about that as its mostly in the gift of the device designers to determine how aggressively they seek to roam.

Also ensure you have the routers set to use different radio channels: In the 2.4 GHz band, choose from the set [1,6,11] in the 5GHz band (if you are using it) ensure the channels are different and "40 apart" (eg 36,40 or 40,44, etc.)