wifi calling activation in uk

Maxr

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an unlocked Moto g7 phone updated to Android 10 (and yes, the screen now flashes different colours for a minute when booting up). I need to get it working on 'wifi calling' as I have no cellphone signal at home, and texted PIN security is becoming more common for online purchases.

The phone has the Android Wifi Calling app listed, but no visible means to activate it. I installed a 3 network card, as they have WiFi calling. I know this phone can do it, because another network lists it as compatible, but that only has plans at twice the cost of 3. I found a list of edits to the Network/APN/Edit access point settings, but that didn't do it. Any ideas please?

It is not in the list of supported devices on three 😬

Thanks - Motorola say that confusion arises because a phone can be WiFi Calling capable (the G7 Power is), and the network provider can have the function, but it also needs the provider to enable the function on for that specific phone. I'll phone 3 and see if they're persuadable.

Motorola phones are only officially supported on EE iirc, but you can try and activate it in the engineering menu.

Dial *# *#4636# *# * ->Phone Information -> switch on 'WiFi Calling Provisioning'

I would add, the list of supposedly supported handsets on Three is wildly inaccurate, there are plenty of other supported handsets that aren't listed.

Motorola phones are only officially supported on EE iirc, but you can try and activate it in the engineering menu.

Dial *# *#4636# *# * ->Phone Information -> switch on 'WiFi Calling Provisioning'

I would add, the list of supposedly supported handsets on Three is wildly inaccurate, there are plenty of other supported handsets that aren't listed.

Thanks Dave, I'll try that. Also, Virgin Mobile techs say that any UK phone that supports WiFi calling should work with their network.

Also, Virgin Mobile techs say that any UK phone that supports WiFi calling should work with their network.

Unfortunately the awful way Android deals with the WiFiCalling and VoLTE standard doesn't allow that.

Only iPhones will consistently work with all networks. For Android Huawei were probably the closest to using a universal standard for their handsets (but still didn't work on o2 iirc).

Thanks Dave:
I opened the engineering menu and found the slider for WiFi provisioning, but it's off and unresponsive. Does that mean the service provider hasn't enabled it for this make and model of phone, or ???

Thanks Dave:
I opened the engineering menu and found the slider for WiFi provisioning, but it's off and unresponsive. Does that mean the service provider hasn't enabled it for this make and model of phone, or ???

It's hard to say, it's likely that the sim card controls the menu setting and keeps it off.

As an example, on my OnePlus 7 Pro wificalling doesn't show on Vodafone (but does on EE and 3UK) unless you download a different logkit apk which allows it to be turned on. Unfortunately I don't know of any similar app for Lenovo/Motorola.

On Android unfortunately it is still the case that to ensure you have WiFi calling you’ll need to buy it with the providers firmware and explicit state that it supports it. Had my fingers burned by that twice now. That doesn’t mean you can’t get lucky with an Android device you got yourself but it is like playing roulette.

Our iOS devices just support any network, no ifs or buts. And as we also live in a no signal area it is essential for us. Especially after so many years locked to Vodafone who was the only one providing a service through a femtocell in our home. I don’t want to go back to being locked to a particular network.

Very grateful for this thread!
I have the unlocked G7 Power phone and was on Vodafone monthly SIM contract.
WiFi calling was not available in the phone.
I have signed up with an EE pay monthly SIM contract and the WiFi calling option appeared as soon as the SIM was inserted. WiFi calling works and provides coverage in the remote corners of my house where mobile signals don't reach. Vodafone don't seem to provide the necessary network settings for WiFi calling unless you have a supported phone. It seems to me that If the phone doesn't know the destination for the WiFi traffic then the option doesn't appear.
Three seem to operate like EE but the assistants in the shop I visited got the option to appear but didn't succeed in demonstrating a WiFi call. I.e. you could have a go with Three but it may or may not work YMMV!
There is a difference between "supported" phones where you can ring the mobile operator and expect tech support. Unsupported devices may work but you can't expect much help from the operator. In this case, EE sell and support Moto phones and the guy in the shop was comfortable suggesting it would work because they sell them. He also promised a 14 day cooling off period in case it didn't work out.
EE 1 - Vodafone 0 !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom