WiFi Boosters?

Ron100

Ok, here again, I'm using a Pioneer NP01 streamer, it's five years old and is brilliant.
However, due to it's position I can only get two of the four available signal strength bars to light up.
It's never bothered me because it works fine. Anyway, for £20 I decided to buy a WiFi booster.
Set it all up and it's working. When I go into setup on my iPad I can now see four options.
2.4 and 5ghz from the router and the same from the booster, 2.4, 2.5 ext.
When I reset the streamer, I get full signal until I connect the streamer to the iPad, then it drops back down to two bars. Also when I do a speed test, the speed using the booster is about half what I get when I log on to the router, 100mps on 5G and only 50mps when I use the extender. I don't need this much, just curious as to why I can"t get full signal strength on the streamer when the booster is only 8ft away.
Any thoughts anyone?

Ron

kit1cat

I use a WiFi extender to feed my pi setup in the living room and get half the speed, I think I read somewhere this is normal. I use a iPad Mini for control and I find it helps if the ipad is connected to the extender as well, and not direct to the router.

Ron100

Thanks, so half the speed but greater range seems normal. Any ideas why I'm still a couple of bars down with the signal strength on the Pioneer streamer.?

Whats a pi set up?

Last edited:

kit1cat

Yes, that seems normal., You could try moving your extender to a different location. I tried various places in my house and found the best to be in the next bedroom, but even then moving the extender or receiver an inch can make a différance. You need a location that gives a good signal to the extender and a good signal from the extender to your Pioneer at the same time.

I use a Raspberry Pi computer with a "hat" DAC as my music player, running moode software on the pi, controlled by my iPad Mini. A good quality setup at a reasonable price.

mseve1

I'm using a Pioneer NP01 streamer, it's five years old and is brilliant.
However, due to it's position I can only get two of the four available signal strength bars to light up.
It's never bothered me because it works fine.
If the streamer is working fine with no dropouts I wouldn't worry about the less than perfect signal strength (2 out of 4 bars). Personally, I'd be inclined to keep things simple and to ditch the Wi-fi booster if it's not giving you any overall improvement in performance.
As an aside you could always try fiddling with the orientation of the Wi-fi antennae on back of the Pioneer to see if that improves the signal strength but even if it does it's unlikely to give you any sonic gains.

kit1cat

If the streamer is working fine with no dropouts I wouldn't worry about the less than perfect signal strength (2 out of 4 bars). Personally, I'd be inclined to keep things simple and to ditch the Wi-fi booster if it's not giving you any overall improvement in performance.
As an aside you could always try fiddling with the orientation of the Wi-fi antennae on back of the Pioneer to see if that improves the signal strength but even if it does it's unlikely to give you any sonic gains.
Good point, if it's working OK why change it. Unfortunately, in my setup I had terrible stuttering/dropouts direct from the router, so had no choice.

Ron100

The Pioneers perfomace is flawless. Just thought for £20 I would give a booster a try.
I don't understand why when the streamer has been reset I get full signal strength with a question mark. When you see this you have Log on to your iPad, select the streamer and it works. But then it only shows two bars. Probably go back to using it from the router.

Thanks for your input

Ron100

Yes I know it's not an indication of signal strength. It's just that when you reset it to factory default and the ? is showing at the side of the bars. Before you can use it you have log into the ipod and then select the Pioneer. When you do this it works,. Not not clear where the streamer gets it signal from. There are other ways to set it up by putting the password in for the router, but for some reason I can't get this to work.

kit1cat

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Pioneer, or it's set up with the iPad, it's difficult to follow in the manual without the items in front of you, but it's looking like you are connected to the iPad? You could try connecting directly to the router, but if you are happy with the way it's working, why bother.

mseve1

Are you sure that both the NP01 and iPad are connected to WiFi Booster network rather than that of the router? Sounds like the Pioneer may still be connected to the latter.

Ron100

Are you sure that both the NP01 and iPad are connected to WiFi Booster network rather than that of the router? Sounds like the Pioneer may still be connected to the latter.

Good question, no I'm not sure and I think it is. There are a couple of way to connect, but when you reset the Pioneer it seems to find the router rarther than the extender.

Ron100

Ok,just had another play, when you reset the Pioneer, is only gives you the option of the router. It doesn't see the extender.the iPad see it and you can choose any one of the four options. Either way it sounds the same and works fine.

Do all streamers have a signal strength meter?

mseve1

Setting up the networking of your NP01 has to be done via your iPad as per pages 21-4 of the manual. Any available 2.4 GHz network should be visible and selectable in this process.
n.b. the iPad has to be connected to a 2.4GHz network rather than a 5GHz one for the setup process to work correctly.

Do all streamers have a signal strength meter?
Most do but you can also test the signal strength independently by means of an app on your smartphone/tablet

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom