WIFI booster for wired connection

Gaza67

Novice Member
Hi, was hoping for some advice. I have recently upgraded from fibre to ultrafast fibre. Before the upgrade I had a PS3, PS4 and NOW TV box connected by ethernet directly to the router. However due to where the ultrafast comes in to the house a wired connection is not practical and I have connected these devices via wifi. The router is around 10 feet from these devices, with a direct line of sight. I am only getting speed of 16 mbps on the PS3 and 40 mbps on the NOW box and the PS4. Other devices around the house are getting around 100 mbps so I assume that the problem is with the wifi tech in these older devices.

To get round this I was thinking of using a wifi booster (Netgear N300) connected to an ethernet splitter (TP-Link TL-SG1005D) and then the three devices connected to the splitter.

Any opinions on whether or not this would significantly improve speeds and if so are the booster and splitter I have mentioned good choices. Thanks

Gaza67

Novice Member
10 feet diagonally across a living room floor, running it around the wall would mean running the ethernet around two door frames.

MaryWhitehouse

10 feet diagonally across a living room floor, running it around the wall would mean running the ethernet around two door frames.

Do that. It's unlikely you'll see much improvement with your first plan.

oneman

Flat ethernet cable can be tucked under carpet, thresholds and on top of skirting. Honestly it is the best solution.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
An ethernet splitter isn't what you want here, but the switch that your model number refers to will do the job.

The functionality you're after on the wi-fi side is referred to as a wireless bridge. Many 'boosters'/range extenders that have an ethernet port can be configured to work that way but not all of them.

You don't say which N300 rated Netgear model you're referring to so I can't check for sure but I'm doing this with a newer TP-link RE330 and it works fine.

Although cheap range extenders are often not fitted with gigabit ethernet ports so max out at just under 100Mbps for devices connected via ethernet.

Albi Dock

If you're averse to cable runs around a room, get a couple of quality Home Plugs or better still a mesh network enabled Home Plugs.

Gaza67

Novice Member
For the information of those who took the time to reply and anyone reading who may be in a similar position.

I decided to give my idea a try and ordered TP-Link RE505X AX1500 extender. The PS3 download speed has gone from 16 to 28 mbps and rhe NOW box from 40 to 78 mbps. Haven’t used a splitter/switch yet but I am happy with the improvement.

MahaRaja

Hi guys,
I'm in a similar position wanted some advice.

Recently bought my son a LG C1 TV for mainly for his PS5 online gaming in his bedroom upstairs in our hose. We have a BT router in our lounge connected to our smart TV by ethernet cable.

For the past few days, he's been having problem with slow wifi speed. I am wondering if we purchase a wifi extender like TP Link AC750 to boost the wifi.
Would have preferred ethernet cable to his TV but the thought of connecting with long ethernet cable up the stairs, is challenging. Also my router is placed in a cabinet shelf, not sure if that would impact the signal strength.

Has anyone used these extenders and how stable or good is the signal via wifi, as I won't be connecting the extender to my router by ethernet cable.

Gaza67

Novice Member
Hi, as I've said above I am happy with the improvement but I assumed the problem I was having was becaue of old wifi technology in the console which I was trying to bypass by connecting the PS3 to the extender via ethernet. My son has a PS5 up the stairs and is getting very fast speeds via wifi. Your problem might have a different cause.

dion 6

Hi guys,
I'm in a similar position wanted some advice.

Recently bought my son a LG C1 TV for mainly for his PS5 online gaming in his bedroom upstairs in our hose. We have a BT router in our lounge connected to our smart TV by ethernet cable.

For the past few days, he's been having problem with slow wifi speed. I am wondering if we purchase a wifi extender like TP Link AC750 to boost the wifi.
Would have preferred ethernet cable to his TV but the thought of connecting with long ethernet cable up the stairs, is challenging. Also my router is placed in a cabinet shelf, not sure if that would impact the signal strength.

Has anyone used these extenders and how stable or good is the signal via wifi, as I won't be connecting the extender to my router by ethernet cable.
I've got a desktop PC in an upstairs room and my WiFi router is downstairs so I've used a set of homeplugs that uses your electricity ring main to send your ethernet signal, the new ones have wifi as well as hard wired so if I were you I'd get something like this should work a treat

Amazon product

MahaRaja

I've got a desktop PC in an upstairs room and my WiFi router is downstairs so I've used a set of homeplugs that uses your electricity ring main to send your ethernet signal, the new ones have wifi as well as hard wired so if I were you I'd get something like this should work a treat

Amazon product

That might be better than TP-Link Extender as you'd have to configure. Is it easy to install and why do you need two, I wonder.
Edit. I looked into the Amazon page. One is connected by ethernet cable near to the router, and the other, can be placed in the bedroom.

Albi Dock

That might be better than TP-Link Extender as you'd have to configure. Is it easy to install and why do you need two, I wonder.
Edit. I looked into the Amazon page. One is connected by ethernet cable near to the router, and the other, can be placed in the bedroom.

Home plugs are easy to configure especially for people who find routers and all things internet a bit of a challenge. They are literally plug and play.

You need a minimum of 2 HPs because one has to be plugged into the mains near your router then, using the supplied cable, connected to one of your router ports, preferably a gigabit one.

The other is plugged into the mains in whichever room you want and connected to the pc, laptop or games console depending whether the HP is LAN or wifi connection.

Some HPs come with a function that tells you which is the better plug socket to use as modern house wiring is often on split circuits. Ergo, the circuit used by your router HP may be different to one of 2 sockets your other HP may use.

Andrew777

If I was doing this again I would definitely go for the home plugs.

I previously used the TP Link AC750 and then 'upgraded' to the AC1750 (both are in their boxes in a cupboard somewhere).

At first they were great, giving speeds of low 20's which was fine for us. Then the AC1750 frequently dropped the signal for no apparent reason. I checked everything but nothing seemed to be wrong. You either had to re-set the router or wait 15 - 20 minutes for it to start working again. This happened at various times during the day for no discernible reason. On the TP Link forums this seemed to be a problem for a lot of people and at that time no-one had a fix. TP link denied it was a problem!

When my partner started working from home a stable connection became more important. I decided to go for the over the top solution of the Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi Next AC Whole Home Mesh Kit. I'm sure it's more expensive than what I actually needed but it was worth it to get rid of the frustration of having the internet randomly stop working. Speed over the whole house has increased to the mid 50's. The only downside is that the units I have are quite big but if socket numbers are a problem they do have a socket for plugging things in (table lamp etc). They also have two ethernet ports at the top if you want to hard wire whatever you're using.

We've been using this for just over six weeks It has been faultless and was a doddle to set up.

These things are dependent on the electrical wiring of your home so a good returns policy is essential.

Thornhill5

Standard Member
For the information of those who took the time to reply and anyone reading who may be in a similar position.

I decided to give my idea a try and ordered TP-Link RE505X AX1500 extender. The PS3 download speed has gone from 16 to 28 mbps and rhe NOW box from 40 to 78 mbps. Haven’t used a splitter/switch yet but I am happy with the improvement.

What speed is the incoming Ultrafast broadband?

If you need a speed of up to around 150Mbps, then you could use a Powerline Mesh extender. It's not the "best" way to get a connection around the house, but you plug in Node 1 into a power socket, and the other second Node in a power socket near your devices. You can then see what the Wifi speed you get, or else Ethernet cable from the second node into your devices.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom