WiFi around the house (inc garden)

mickevh

Distinguished Member
You might experiment deploying the first floor AP in the center bedroom instead of the landing. That will improve coverage in that room and might be "not much worse off" in the other bedrooms. Similarly, the second floor.

It depends a bit on where you need the best usage experience.

On the ground floor, the provision in the lounge looks like it could be bit scratchy, but if you are provisioning cabling so you could deploy an additional AP there if it doesn't work out, that gives you some flexibility.

jonnystuartUK

You might experiment deploying the first floor AP in the center bedroom instead of the landing. That will improve coverage in that room and might be "not much worse off" in the other bedrooms. Similarly, the second floor.

It depends a bit on where you need the best usage experience.

On the ground floor, the provision in the lounge looks like it could be bit scratchy, but if you are provisioning cabling so you could deploy an additional AP there if it doesn't work out, that gives you some flexibility.
Thanks Mick.

Totally agree with the ground floor, if I need to I’ll put an extra AP there but as I mentioned everything is hardwired.

jonnystuartUK

Question: broadband is being upgraded tomorrow to over 100mbps 🤞🏻 If I purchase a gigabit poe switch for the APs and have this direct into the modem can I still run my 100mbps switch for things like Heatmiser/Hue hubs?

sunlituplands

Outside in the garden? Do it cheap and effective with a mini router and a power bank.

Available off Amazon, works great and secure.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Question: broadband is being upgraded tomorrow to over 100mbps 🤞🏻 If I purchase a gigabit poe switch for the APs and have this direct into the modem can I still run my 100mbps switch for things like Heatmiser/Hue hubs?

If that's not a typo, then no you can't just plug things into a modem - you need a router/NAT/Firewall somewhere between the modem and the rest of the network. (Well, you can, but it won't work properly.)

jonnystuartUK

If that's not a typo, then no you can't just plug things into a modem - you need a router/NAT/Firewall somewhere between the modem and the rest of the network. (Well, you can, but it won't work properly.)
Sorry I have a Sky hub where I’ll be turning off the WiFi.

jonnystuartUK

Thanks for everyone’s input so far. So definitely going down the unifi route! I used the design Center this morning to see how the in wall units would perform.

Think I’m quite happy to be honest, I moved them round a little to accommodate the usage. For example on the ground floor lounge everything is wired direct from the switch already and I have a couple of spare cable runs in case I want to put another unit in there.

Attached are the exports, comments welcome 🤗

AP’s arrived. Is the only way to set them up through the controller software installed on a laptop/pc?

jonnystuartUK

You can use the Phone app, it uses BT to talk to the APs to set them up
Thanks very much, had to turn all WiFi off on the Sky hub.

Got the first AP hooked up mainly as a test and seems to work good, going to run a cable on the first floor for the second AP tomorrow.

Done a speed test and it fluctuates so much between 70mbps - 140mbps?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom