Wifi Advice

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Ian Carter, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Looking to get a wifi enabled phone on my first ever contract.

Been into P4U today with the intention of getting the Nokia 5800 on Orange. They were kind of pusing me towards O2 with the same phone.

I was asking about Mobile internet packages etc and they said that as the phone is wifi compatible then you can connect free either using your home wifi or at hotspots around the town.

Is this correct?

I have trawlled the net but its confusing. Is the O2 Cloud free to use? O2's website isn't very clear but it seems to suggest you pay for access.

Could I use either the Orange or O2 phone in Starbucks for free for example or will only one or the other connect?

Thanks

2. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    They have misled you slightly.

You don't pay to use WiFi per-se, but some WiFi hotspots charge for access.

Your home WiFi is free, as is any hotspots that don't charge. Some pubs and McDonalds are free for instance.

But the O2 Cloud, BT Openzone and other such hotspots are chargeable. So unless you get the phone on O2 and pay for the unlimited WiFi bundle, you'll have to pay for these.

To be honest, if data on the move is important to you, get a mobile data bundle / Bolt-On as this is a much more flexible way of connecting. You can then use free hotspots or your home WiFi when available.

3. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thnaks for that. I thought that might be the case.

Just to clarify wifi is wifi, and even if I were on a payg tarrif on any network I could connect to any hotspot that was free, without incurring network charges.

4. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    That's correct. WiFi is free, you don't pay anything for WiFi. But it is sold as a 'service' in hotspots such as BT Openzone and the Cloud and you pay for this service.

But WiFi as a connectivity option is free regardless :)