WiFi Adapter & Wiinja Question!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by martwho, Sep 19, 2007.

1. martwho

martwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hey guys looking to connect my Wii to the internet , do i have to use the official Nintendo DS one or will any USB WiFi adapter work?(preferably cheaper - any links would be useful)
    Also does anyone know if you can still connect and update versions with a Wiinja chip installed , i read it has a stealth mode! True or not?
    Thanks in advance!

2. daven1986

daven1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    dont think you can use any old usb-ethernet adaptor as they usually need drivers. think it is only the DS one that works at the moment.

and yes im pretty sure you can still download updates with the wiinja - but wait until someone confirms it.

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,025
    I think there is a little confusion here.

The Wii is already WiFi enabled - only need an adaptor if you want wired ethernet.

I think the OP is talking about adaptors on his PC so he can share the internet connection to his Wii (I assuming his modem\router doesn't support WiFi). If I correct then, any USB WiFi adaptor that works with the PC will be fine to establish a peer to peer connection between PC and Wii.

Can't see any reason why you can't connect and update with Winja connected. However, on the last update I got a message warning that the update may cause modded Wiiis to stop working. Whether this is just Nintendo playing safe or scare tactics I don't know - my machine is not modded so it didn't apply.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. martwho

martwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    nheather you are correct i want to connect the wii to my pc wirelessly as i only have a wired DSL modem on my PC. If its o.k to use a generic of the shelf jobby that is great as the nintendo one is around £30.

5. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,025
    Yep, you will be fine - once the signal is in the air is conforms to standards so will talk to any WiFi connection.

Cheers,

Nigel