Wife's netbook problem

ollymoran

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi,

My wife has a toshiba NB200-10G and has a problem with it. When I boot windows 7 it seems to load ok, but if you double click an icon to start a program, be it Advanced System Care Pro or even Internet Explorer it loads the program and then immediately Crashes. You cant do nothing with it except turn it off. I have Tried everything I can think of to find the cure. I have booted it in safe mode and then tried Internet Explorer and running programs and in works in safe mode just crashes in normal. I have ran Kaspersky internet security to search for viruses and also cleaned the junk etc off using Advanced System Care Pro but it still persists to crash. I have also tried going back to a restore point and restoring but there isn't one.

Is there any program (Free) or any setting changes or anything I can do to stop it crashing as I am out of ideas!

Thanks for replies in advance!

do you have any backup software with it? if yes then boot into safe mode, grab any files off it to a usb stick and reinstall windows
there's either something malicious running in windows or something missing, both can be awkward to find and a fresh install can often be the best/quickest solution

we do have an upgrade copy of windows 7 (cds ) will re-installing this wipe the hard drive of programs? ( we have an external cd drive ) Is there any significance in using USB sticks to disks or if you boot in safe mode will the external cd drive work?

Last edited:
See if you can start it in safe mode.

we do have an upgrade copy of windows 7 (cds ) will re-installing this wipe the hard drive of programs? ( we have an external cd drive ) Is there any significance in using USB sticks to disks or if you boot in safe mode will the external cd drive work?

whereas re-installing windows might be the ultimate fix, it's somewhat draconian so we can try some less drastic alternatives first.

spyder, he's been in safe mode and it all works fine
reinstalling isnt the necessarily the best solution but itll save time, sine this thread started i would have had win7 reinstalled and up and running ;)

ollymoran, yes it will wipe it clean, thats why i suggested backing up what you can, be it external hdd or usb stick, whichever works best for you. regardless of which route you take, i'd still do some backing up first just in case

If it runs ok in safe mode then I would take a look at what programs are running at startup as there is a good chance one of these is causing the problem when booting normally

UPDATE : I have now tried my cd drive in safe mode and it does work. I have also Gone into the startup options and deleted/disabled as much as I can and that has not made a difference as it still crashes in normal mode.

Shall I now back up all my programs/files to an usb external drive and just re-install windows 7? or is there anything else i can try?

olly, here we are another day and still having issues :/
IF you know what your doing regarding a fresh install then why not, it would have been done by now and be up and running (providing its nothing hardware related). I know there are those that love to trouble shoot till there 6 feet under but i prefer the quick and easy method and theres nothing better than a fresh install anyways, im a fan of one every now and again regardless.
but as ive said, REGARDLESS of what you choose to do, please back up anything you cant afford to lose before you start anything else

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom