Wife wants DVD/miniDV, I want HD/Flash - typical!

OldHooky

Having posed a question about mini DV last week she's rather taken with recording to DVD.

I'd rather have HD if budget will stretch that far and work out the best copying method later.

Any recommendations, sub-£500 for either miniDV or HD that would keep us both happy?

The HDC-SC5 at £349 seems to be a good choice and compromise. The HD1000 is also tempting, but £130 more. Finger is poised over the Buy button for the Pan.

Any words of wisdom before I buy (about the cameras, not marriage!)?

Cheers

rhubarbe

Banned
Well, I wouldn't buy a DVD camcorder, SD or HD. Buy a solid state cam that takes SDHC cards. This is the future (and a lot more reliable than DVDs which often refuse to finalise).

I expect I am too late, though.

OldHooky

Fortunately you're not too late.

Which models would you recommend? Budget isn't that flush remember. :(

Cheers

daggad

Novice Member
The Panasonic SD5 is a good deal for £350. And it is really easy and quick to make standard SD DVD discs of your footage via the PC. :thumbsup:

rhubarbe

Banned
I'd second that choice, if it's a budget that you're on.

Bit higher budget I might say HF100.

I don't think you'd go wrong with an SD5.

imageworks

Standard Member
I had a similar dilemma,

I know there are many who do not like DVD cams, but in the end i opted for a panasonic sx5, which is solid state writing to SDHC cards with outstanding quality, it is High Def with 3 CCD's.

This is, as i see anyway, no different to the SD5, but the SX5 is also hybrid which writes to mini DVD when and if you want to.

I will use the SDHC Card most of the time, but when my friends want a 'quick snap - and -go' i can use a DVD in either SD or HD.

Couldn't personally fault it yet, its smallest dvd cam ive seen also, and has the added benefit of a viewfinder, which i was keen on.

Anyway, each to their own, so just some advice on my Cam. The SX5 is around £440 on amazon.

OldHooky

Just ordered one off Amazon. Thanks to everyone for their advice, and redsoxmark on another thread.

OldHooky

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom