Wife Wants a PC NOW!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chaz, Mar 1, 2014.

1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Hi Hoping for some advice I have just fished my first PC Computer build and I relly enjoyed doing it with some help along the way from you guys. Now my wife ( we do have our uses then) wants me to build her one and it needs be build as cheaply as possible. If I tell you what she will use if for that might cut the cost. She will use it for e mail Face book watching videos playing face book games and the grandchildren games as well Also talking to my brother in Kazakhstan>the grandchildrens game are not all that graphic hungry So I do not know if it will need a graphic card. But This is what I need Motherboard, CPU, PSU Memory already have everything else Case Hard drive etc. I have looked on Scan computers and i have motherboards as cheap as £50! and the same for CPU Would they be any good?. There is one thing to add the PSU has to modular the CPU Intel and the motherboard full size As the case is quite large tower one. Thanks for any help given

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Why? A Modular PSU and an ATX motherboard will just add to the cost and won't make any difference to the case - the power cables are the same length and a standard MicroATX board uses the same mountings as a full sized ATX board, it just comes with four expansion slots instead of seven.

Do you have any bits aside from the case?

You don't need anything in the way of performance, so a £30 Intel Celeron G1820 and £35 motherboard are perfectly reasonable, as is using the CPU's built in graphics.

3. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Hello again Endless right I have a old computer which is the one I am using at the moment. It is fairly old about 6 years old the info i have about it is as follows ACPI X86- based PC with AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Processor and 6.23 of total Ram plus a Corsair PSU. Is this up to date enough for my wifes use or is the things that need replacing / Updating like Motherboard CPU Memory etc the items that i do not need a Hard drive i have a spare 1TB Hard Drive also will give her my a 64GB SSD Hard Drive. I am OK for keyboard /mouse & monitor & DVD Drive

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    That'll be fine for your wife's use performance-wise and the only thing I'd consider possibly replacing is things like fans if they're a bit noisy.

5. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Thanks Once again Endless