Wife Swap

Originally posted by sparkster
I saw it last night, how on earth is that guy with the shaven head still married. His idleness made Jim Royle look like a perfect husband. It was cringing just to look at the way he called out to his poor wife and the woman who swapped with her.

it takes two to tango, so she has to take some of the blame if things aren`t right. but then again, by the end of the programme, you wondered if she was actually quite happy in her situation.
anyway, enough of the serious stuff, i agree with juboy, he was one of the most charismatic reality characters in a long time. whether you liked or disliked him, he was great to watch.

Theres an old phrase about how it take all sorts. Last nights show proves that there are some that it shouldn't.

Barry, what a "charactor". Still if he has a partner who will quite happily indulge his mysoginy, so be it. Professional gambler. I'll try professional alcohol taster and see if my wife goes along with it.

His wife seemed okay until she burst out with "if you don't do house work your not a proper woman" . Yep, millions of years of evolution and the most that women can hope to acheive in their life is house work :rolleyes: Good girl, set the womens movement back a century or to.

As for carol. Total mutton. But again, she has a partner that indulges her life style (if you can call it that). I'm sure they'll be punters queing on broadway to check out her play, based on her experiences.

The world seems to be universally populated by nutters and mentalists, but it certainly makes good viewing (or what I call car crash viewing. You don't want to and you know you shouldn't, but you can't help yourself).

Originally posted by Xusia Of Delos
Still if he has a partner who will quite happily indulge his mysoginy, so be it.

I do not think for one minute Barry is/was a misogynist.

Do I think he was taking advantage of someone who, for whatever reasons, didn't mind (and in fact enjoyed) the treatment? Yes.

Do I think he was selfish? Yes.

Do I think he wouldn't last five minutes married to the majority of women? Yes.

But do I think he hates, or displayed a hatred of, women? Most categorically, NO.

I also think it is hugely hypocritical for males to critisise Barry's wife's view of life. If she loves him and is happy to carry out the role within their relationship, how dare people feel sorry for her or sneer at her 'old fashioned' views?

And anyway, in a fist fight I'd put money on her over Barry!

it was a laugh

Barry was ace 'carol CAROL CAROL CAROL, Jesus tonight, a cup of tea is a simple operation'

True partridge

They were made for each other........ barry was funny as hell, actually seemed the nicer out of the two, he was quite different with Carole. His normal wife was a miserable cow, rude and obnoxious, I felt sorry for her briefly until the end when she was really rude to the other woman.

couldn't agree more

did you see how happy she got when he finally told her he loved her, she has issues

and then she was awful to the other woman, I thought she was going to, and she should have done, slap her.

Originally posted by bobbles
did you see how happy she got when he finally told her he loved her, she has issues

Her and about 95% of the female population then?

I don't think it's an 'issue' to be told by the person you love that they love you.

And, personally, I'd say Barry loved his wife a WHOLE lot more than Carol loved her husband...

Originally posted by juboy

And, personally, I'd say Barry loved his wife a WHOLE lot more than Carol loved her husband...

You may be right, but its still very sad what she has accepted as a live for herself.

Xusia, TBH it is most probably better off she stays in and does housework, after her rendition of I will survive, I am a big supporter of her never leaving the house again!!!

Originally posted by Sinzer
Xusia, TBH it is most probably better off she stays in and does housework, after her rendition of I will survive, I am a big supporter of her never leaving the house again!!!

i quite enjoyed it actually:D

Originally posted by Geezer
but its still very sad what she has accepted as a live for herself.

Based on your value system and frame of reference, maybe.

She might look at your life and feel sorry for you though. That's why it's best not to be too condescending about other people's lifestyle choices.

She might look at your life and feel sorry for you though. That's why it's best not to be too condescending about other people's lifestyle choices.

hate to keep agreeing with juboy but... i agree with juboy.

A good point well made.

That sort of argument is nothing but gain saying .

People will always judge others by their own yardstick. It is human nature. It is also the whole point of the program. Humans like to think that there is someone worse of than themselves, or further down in societies pecking order.

Also, although Barry was a self proclaimed professional gambler, there was no evidence that he was the one that put a roof over anyones head. All you saw was him handing over a wad of notes in a betting shop. There was no evidence to show he regularly bringing cash home. But his wife worked 50 hours a week (and probably on minimum wage). In my books that makes him a ponce.

So lets reviews the facts. He claims that it was his right to pursue a life of pleasure. He did no legitimate work, therefore contributed nothing to society and the establishment. Did nothing within the home at all. Was driven around and waited on hand and foot. Didn't even buy an anniversary card himself. When asked whether he specifically loved his partner, he danced around the issue and tried to hide behind clever words, which his wife only chose to listen to the parts she wanted to hear. Yes I sure he had a high opinion of her and the rest of the world. Still think he ain't a misogynist?

As for the other couple, they lived specific roles and certainly one was more dominant in some respects than the other, to claim that they did not love each other as much as Barry and his wife is imcomprehensible. They had to daughters tht seemed to be happy with their parents. Barrys step son did his best to avoid him.

The key factor here is living a lifestyle that works in your favour at somebody elses expense. The fact that the individual being exploited is blind to it, doesn't make it right.

The key factor here is living a lifestyle that works in your favour at somebody elses expense. The fact that the individual being exploited is blind to it, doesn't make it right.

But you are STILL looking at this through your eyes and not the eyes of the lady involved. Maybe she feels that the lifestyle of her husband works in her favour? After all, she runs his life, he basically cannot function without her... therefore she knows it's highly unlikely he'll ever leave her, so maybe she wins in the end?

Exploitation is different things to different people. For example, some women who don't choose to do Page 3 think that the women that do are being exploited. The same Page 3 girls think that some pretty girls with good figures who go to work as receptionists for £4 an hour are being exploited. It's all down to personal frame of reference and I think it's incredibly patronising for someone tell someone else that they're being exploited when that person doesn't feel they are and has made their choice of their own free will.

The key factor here is living a lifestyle that works in your favour at somebody elses expense. The fact that the individual being exploited is blind to it, doesn't make it right. [/B]

i could have swore i saw her reading the lyrics to i will survive off the karioke machine;)

You should change your name to 'Top' Geezer.

Nice, civil post. Fair play.

Why thankyou.

I do try to be civil.

Her and about 95% of the female population then?

I don't think it's an 'issue' to be told by the person you love that they love you.

the point I meant was that they seemed to have been together for ages judging by the tea in 15 years comment

yet from her reaction, and saying after all these years you've finally said you love me

seemed odd to me

If she obviously needs effection and does all this work to win his love

which i just think is sad

I don't see where your other comment came from there didn't seem to be anything to indicate that

I don't see where your other comment came from there didn't seem to be anything to indicate that

I was trying to indicate that I thought her reaction to Barry's declaration was actually quite touching. It was, to me, clear that he loved her and she loved him but he had trouble expressing it.

There did not, however, seem to be much love within the other marriage and I don't recall either of them saying they loved the other during the show.

People may well think Barry and his wife are both 'sad' but compared to a lot of relationships you hear about, they both seemed pretty content and happy to me and they've managed to bring up what seemed like a pleasant and well balanced son (remember, he isn't actually Barry's biological son either, which I think people who critisise Barry might do well to remember).

Yes Juboy, I was NOT looking throught there I eyes. This serves no purpose. If you adopt that approach you then automaticly mitigate your own point of view.

I don't think either loved each other. Rather they had a dependence on each other to counter act their own disfunction, which they perceived as love. However, I sure you'll disagree on this point.

Barry's relationship with his step son was hardly outstanding. The son clearly stated that he did his utmost to avoid him.

Why do think Barry was picked by the producers of this show? Hardly becomes he was the embodiment of "Joe Public". No because he was controversial and definately a talking point (as demonstrated).

Rather they had a dependence on each other to counter act their own disfunction, which they perceived as love. However, I sure you'll disagree on this point.

Not at all, you could very well be right. But as we semi-discussed on another thread, 'love' can be many different things to different people.

To each their own and God help the person that genuinely believes their way is 100% correct or superior.

They picked Barry because he was most amusing, I would have loved to see the interview with the producers of the show.........

Yes I think your programme will be a simple operation, a quick drill for me. Do I have to do any work for it?

and does all this work to win his love

which i just think is sad

You know that is what I thought of the bloke in the other relationship, he did all of the work in the house as well as the management of their company to win Carols love.

It was like he felt he had to do all this to keep her, I don't think he thought a lot of himself.

The makers of this programme would love it if they could see this thread. The show is unmitigated pap but look at the high-brow response.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom