1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wife says PW7BX has got to go!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr Eddy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    10 days ago I sprang a happy surprise on the other half. What more could she want.

Yes I bought a PW7BX and a scart board and a component board and a tilt wall stand and a desk stand.

She was not happy. I presumed that this would soon pass once she saw the picture. It seems spending that sort of money while several rooms need decorating is too much and the wrath has not subsided.

How can I off load this lot? Hard to believe but I seem to want the marriage more than the screen. I am in the Leicester area.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    hmmm...are you sure your priorities are correct? :) Assuming you have warranty and bought from reputable supplier I'm sure you will sell it easily enough through the classified section here

3. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

..try an ad in the Lonely Hearts section of the local paper - someone will take her

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:

Your best bet would be to try and take it back to the retailer given that you've only had it ten days. If you have all the original packaging you can package it up.

One rather naughty course you could try would be to tell the retailer that the panel has a fault - it keeps turning off after about an hour - for example - and insist you want a refund rather than a replacement. The sale of goods act would entitle you to a replacement / refund in the event of a fault where the goods are not fit for purpose.

However, since your panel is presumably ok, take this at your own risk.

Selling it second hand you will incur a loss.

I sympathise. My other half has the same sort of attitude. I usually get around it by telling her I've paid less for things than I actually have and hiding the expense somewhere else. A plasma screen is a bit big to hide though - I remember one time buying a real bargain and then hiding it in the garage for a few months until I talked her round... :)

5. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I felt a bit guilty when I bought mine, especially with another sprog on the way and me having promised ages ago to ged rid of my motorcycle that I never use.

My wife's attitude was "ah well, you deserve to treat yourself."

If she's the bread winner and paid for it, or you went into debt for it, then fair enough. If it came from the fruits of your hard labour, then you should fight to keep it IMO.

I justified it to myself on the basis that I drive around in a seven year old Volvo Estate when a lot of guys earning the same as me have nicer cars. What I save in a year in depreciation on the car by not replacing it with something newer probably paid for my screen. Look at the whole lifestyle, not the screen. If your not a selfish guy then point out all the other sacrifices you make in your life. My wife spends more on clothes in one year than the screen cost me. And the screen will last 5-10 years.

I'm selling the bike now by the way :(

6. jiml

jiml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Assuming you paid around £1500 for this (from say 123 electrical). Selling 2nd hand you are likely to lose at least £300. You could sell one of the stands and an input board for about £200. That would either pay to get 1 room decorated or buy enough clothes to make the wife happy :thumbsup: OK, from the wifes point of view you are still £1k down, but at least she gets some benefit too. What happened to the old tv? Oh yeah, and remember to point out the space saving from having the plasma and it makes more sense to have that wall mounted prior to decorating. :smashin:

7. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get her to look at the 'get your plasma out for the lads' thread and show here the results once people have finished decorating etc

as a last resort - get a new wife, much easier to comeby than a decent plasma :devil:

Gary

8. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if you are forced into selling then let me know if you dont mind?

Cheers

dave in Notts

9. SteveBradley

SteveBradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This could form an extremely useful thread "how we persuaded our other halves that purchasing extremely expensive kit is better than the holiday in the Bahamas"

I have just managed to persuade my wife that we need a plasma tv above all else and she has OK'd the budget. I am now in a quandry as to how I sneak to new (hdmi output) DVD player and the additional cables in without her knowing!

Any suggestions?

Steve

10. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This thread has made me see how lucky I am. my wife never moans about how much I spend as then I cant moan at her for spending and when ever I moan about her smoking she can throw all my toys and gadgets back in my face.

11. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i take it that there's more plasma screens than women in leicester? hence the "i am in the leicester" quote ?

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    keep plasma, decorate other rooms yourself immediately.

13. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats an easy one. all you do is tell her that it was all on a manufacturers promotion . :thumbsup:

14. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    you're posts make me laugh. I can't understand why "the other half" has such a problem with plasma screens. . I have to say in the time ive had my panny everybody has commented on how great it looks, and how much less room it takes up over the room eating CRT's. I can understand why if the person can't afford it and would be in debt in order to get one, but i see no other reason to not want one of these. Personally my girlfriend (granted not wife) was well excited about getting my 1st plasma screen. Maybe i should count myself lucky.

That sucks, having to send it back, personally i'd keep it!

blue :rolleyes:

15. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a great idea :rolleyes: why dont you post a pic of your wife and a pic of your plasma on the forum then we could all vote and decide which one you should keep that way you dont make any decisions

16. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    be like me and get rid of the wife/girlfriend and get a black labrador

BUT

remember a dog is for life not just friday night :D :D

17. JeffLaws1

JeffLaws1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a lucky day with my wife, she had just had her eyes checked and found she had to have glasses, she hates the idea, brain wave, get a big screen, less eye strain, wont have to wear the glasses.

Next day.................. Plasma :clap:

18. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, I had to persuade my husband that we could afford a plasma and new amp, especially as I don't work and he earns all the money.

Now we've got it we're really pleased with it and have started saving for our next one.

19. itsonlyaname

itsonlyaname
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The plasma was ok'd pretty easy but the problem I have just now is as follows,

1.The plasma makes playing the PS2 so much better
    2.Gran Turismo 4 is great
    3.Have sneaked in a fancy steering wheel force feedback thing (she did raise her eybrows but I told her it was only £20 )
    4.Now I want one of these http://www.gameracer.co.uk/index.shtml.

She said " no $%*^&%$£^ way "

I'am sure I'll persaude her as whilst walking round IKEA I started looking at chairs that I said I could convert just to annoy her, although she did just walk away.

20. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

21. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

22. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    itsonlyaname, Argos do something silialr for £100 that folds away, I had one but I am crap at driving games and so took it back

Cheers

23. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Blimey guys and girls never thought this would generate such interest. Just got back from work and thought I might have got one reply.

I must confess I have already sneak bought a sound system with it claiming this was on special offer hence no speakers with the screen. I hope she doesn't read this newsgroup.

I have already tried the 'you smoke and I don't anymore' routine. Got to confess I do miss cigarettes though. My fatal error was when the kids started sticking up for me, (they like the xbox) it just went downhill after that.

Still if it all ends in tears it is heartening to know that there are ladies out there who like plasmas and save up for upgrades.

24. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Just out of interest - what is her problem with it?
    I thought everyone likes telly?
    :confused:

lisa

Saves up :nono: Credit Cards :smashin:

25. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Women need to understand, boys and toys work hand in hand :)

26. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Agreed. :devil:

27. GiZZeRR

GiZZeRR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about yor problem....I'm really lucky and my wife usually goes along with what I decide. We both work, no kids so I'm always buying gadgets :D Just before the plasma last week, I bought a microlight a few months earlier :clap: , it was no surprise to her though as I have been taking flying lessons for the past year and she knew it was on the cards.

As I say she is very understanding and although she had never seen a plasma before I got it, she loves it now that it is mounted on the wall. Now waiting on the chipped xbox to arrive to play some games on the big screen. :clap:

Think I'll keep her, not worth trading in for a younger model just incase the new ones a bitch :laugh: :laugh:

28. sheety

sheety
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer is so simple just take her flexible rabbit friend away for a while and see how she likes it :D seriously my wife moaned like hell on earth when I got mine got a big problem now she is glued to the thing now and I don't geta look in :mad:

29. rizingdamp

rizingdamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys and gals!..im a gal and I love the plamsa..Rizing damps fiancee...incase ur confused ive sneaked on ere whilst him indoors is tweaking with certain remotes..AGAIN!..so hands up to plasma!...hey im the other way...if he gets rid of the screen..he also follows!..Rizing-damps gf!

30. ajc347

ajc347

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay here's my plan to solve your dilemma Mr Eddy

1) Arrange for the kids and yourself to undertake the decorating together and entice her to watch the plasma uniterrupted whilst this takes place until such time as she realises that life will not be the same without it.

This can be achieved by:

a) promising them an xbox game each (or something similar) upon the finishing of each room.

b) tell your wife that this will enable you to bond with the kids and teach them valuable life skills such as teamwork, practical DIY, organization etc.

c) suggest that she put her feet up and watch the plasma +++ whilst you and the kids do the decorating.

d) purchase other kit (such as upscaling dvd etc) to enable c) above to take place as efficiently and as well as possible - whilst ensuring that cost of extra kit is reduced by 50 to 75% when you tell her how much it cost.

e) once she has watched the plasma screen for at least 50 hours take it down to clean or decorate behind and replace it temporarily with the oldest poorest quality tv in the house linked up to a rickety old vcr via composite feed and mono sound - by then she is bound to notice some difference and demand the plasma be returned forthwith!!!

2) get seperate bank accounts (if you haven't already done so).

3) let her know of any future purchases in advance (again downscaling cost to 50 to 75% of actual cost).

4) actively encourage her to join a local women's group so that she can ventilate her anger in a supportive group setting and realise that your actions in purchasing a plasma screen are due entirely to

a) social conditioning caused by your being brought up in a patriarchically-oriented oppressive society and

b) a lack of ability to express emotion and request that one's psychological needs be met appropriately in line with the rest of the male population.

This would enable her realise that the plasma purchase was not your fault but was purely predicated by the biological nature of maleness and that you could not have done anything other than purchase the plasma because such behaviour is purely dertermined by what it means to be male in contemporary society. :D

5) If steps 1) to 4) above have not worked then the last resort would be to bribe her with flowers, chocolates and a big present (preferably fluffy in nature, with floppy ears and adorned with the words 'I love you' etc) and ensure that you tell her that it cost 50 to 75% more than you paid for it. :devil:

Hope this plan helps - if not I'll take the plasma off of your hands for a tenner!!!