1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wife/Kid friendly solution for my cinema...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tim Cooper, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Chaps,
    Being a hardcore HCPC user i've never saw the need for a seperate scaling solution for my needs, however, the Mrs & kids are now venturing into the cinema when i'm not there & the HCPC to be honest, is really not for them, i've tried to automate as much as i can, but press a button out of turn & the whole thing ends up a right old dogs dinner (ok for me being the inveterate tweaker). So my question is, what are my choices for a wife/kid friendly solution with a minimum of setting up (pref none by them).
    Signal will be going to a Barco ~Graphics 808s via the port 3 input( i don't think this port does component).
    Also something that will do 720p would be great.
    Any help guidance etc greatly app'd.
    Tim.

2. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how abount a portoble 14ich tv for them to use :D

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    :boring:
    You have a singular wit Hal ;)

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    From my (very limited) experience of video processors once they are set up they are all wife/kid friendly. I have the Lumagen VisionHDP and assume that most of them would work the same as this. You put all video sources though the HDP and then to view you just select the correct input. All you really need is a pronto or similar with a few macros set up to do all the switching and then it is just a single button to turn it all on or off.
    Of course with the above you have a good few hours to get it all set up to be that wife/kid friendly in the first place, but if you are like me then that is half the fun.

Mark.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello Tim

MarkE19 has hit the nail on the head - its not the Video Processors job to simplify or control your system its a 'control' issue; once installed a video processor will be virtually 'invisible' to the end user; though selecting 4:3 or 16:9 is usually a manual affair (see below about programming your system).

With the correct Video Processor you can have automatic detection of PAL, NTSC. Interlaced, Progressive etc sources and automatic selection of preferred output settings for various inputs to your projector.

With some units you can set Priority Input selection - so switching on the Digibox can be set to always have the Digibox on screen; so a degree of automation is built in but this on its own cant override someone selecting the wrong input on the projector.

Your big choice is how to control the set up - RS232 is more full proof than IR (less options to hit the wrong buttons) but more costly; though Crestron, AMX and Aurora Multimedia are now delivering lower cost 'one box' solutions.

A decent programmable remote (programmed by someone with some experience of system integration) and every other remote hidden away is a good start.

Lumagen and DVDO are great options to consider for your video processor and if you've not installed one before we can quote you including an on site installation/set-up and ISF calibration of your projector.

Any questions please shout.

Joe

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Sorry lads....i missed this one

I could have phrased my question better.
    Yes i could go the dvd>scaler route but i wanted (a) something simple & (b) something cheap.My mrs wouldn't know a good picture from a cucumber :devil:
    The problem i have is the automation side, i have complex macro's to set the pj set resolution fire TT etc etc, one false move with the finger & you have to start again, now this is the problem, my mrs hasn't got a PC bone in her body, i try to explain to her, even made a special macro based on Q & A ,all to no avail'.
    PJ on, processor on, dvd player on, drawer open, disc in, play, this is the plan.
    I've been reading about these scaleable dvd players Momitsu & yamadoodah :D are they any good.
    Thanks for the answers lads.
    Tim.

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Tim,

Dont give up on that PC just yet !

If the wife and kids just want to watch DVD's without your help ( not playing ripped stuff off hard drives etc), then the cheap option is to buy a cheapish standalone DVD player, (good ones for under £100 new these days) , use a capture card in the PC ( I remember you had a KBK modified card once - I think I still have that here somewhere ;) ) Then use dscaler to scale the output of the DVD player.

dscaler is great these days !

If you put a shortcut to dscaler in the startup group, dscaler starts with the PC and it remembers the last used settings etc, so the only button on the PC that needs touching is the power button to switch PC on and then off after the movie finishes. Simple as that. No mouse or keyboard needs to be touched at all.

When you are at home you can watch using theatertek or whatever software player you are using for better quality.

Or maybe consider front end software such as xlobby or one of the many others- might be easy for someone to screw that up though - as requires on screen buttons to be pressed.

Hope that helps a little bit !

Mark.

8. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i wouldn't have thought any solution that involves starting a PC is going to be friendly, my girlfriend has enough problem working out how to select the correct audio input on the amp, let alone launching something like dscaler.

I would have thought , a DVD player , scaler (or the upscaling in the DVD), and a pronto (or other programmeable remote) with appropriate macros programmed would be simple.