Wife hates SkyQ;help please

RTJ

Novice Member
Reaction score
Newbie here. In our 2nd room we did have, up to a few days ago, a Humax pvr connected to an old but workable Sky HD box in the main room with a compatible Sky dish.

We now have a SkyQ box in the main room serving, via wireless, a Sky mini box in room2. The receiver attached to the Sky dish was changed as well.

My wife hates the Sky Q interface and wishes to revert to the Humax, and, although all cables are attached no signal is being received by the Humax.

Is there an easy solution or are the two systems incompatible? I have delved into the Humax menu but can't find the answer there.

Thanks,

Richard

Your post is a bit confusing.
Is your Humax a satellite or terrestrial (Freeview) PVR? (Hint: the model no will help us to help you).
You stated it was connected to a Sky HD box…then you mention it was also connected to a Sky dish…it can't be both, it's either been connected to the Sky HD box via the Sky box RF out in which case it's a terrestrial PVR (with a terrestrial aerial plugged in to the Sky box) or it was connected to the dish in which case it's a satellite PVR. When Sky subscribers update from Sky HD to Sky Q the installers replace the LNB on the dish with a Wideband type, if your Humax is a satellite PVR that's why you've got no signal, what you need is a Hybrid LNB which will work with Sky Q and your Humax.
Let's clear that up first then we can go on to give some advice.

Last edited:
Apologies; (in bed at present so can't get the model no). The Humax does not have an aerial input but 2 cables that ran around the house, presumably to the old Sky HD box. These cables are now attached to the old Humax and the new SkyQ box. I assume it's a satellite pvr.

Thanks for the early reply.

No, those two cables ran to the dish, not the Sky HD box.
See my edited reply.
You need a Hybrid LNB fitted to the dish or the old LNB refitted if you’re getting rid of Sky Q.
Like anything new it takes a few days to get used to the new interface, your wife will probably like the Sky Q once she finds her way around it.

I suspect Jaycee is quite correct, Sky have probably fitted a new dish with the newer type LNB which does not work with older sat receivers, a hybrid type LNB will need to be fitted to be able to use it with both the sky Q box and Humax.
I also do not like the Sky Q system coming from my Humax 1000s but once you get used to it works quite well.

Thanks JayCee and Kapkirk. Much appreciated.

The Humax is a "Foxsat-HDR". This is not my area of expertise as you can see!
I see Amazon have various models of Hybrid LNBs. Are there any specific models you would recommend? Are they easy to fit (I suspect 'yes')? Do they need specific alignment
tools?

I seem to have various options:

1. To keep things as they are
2. To ask Sky to fit a HLNB - if they will
3. I'll fit a HLNB and hope

If we don't need the mini box slave then we can do away with the multiroom package and perhaps save money. If that isn't on the cards then to keep the minibox and use it if and when it's needed.

Thanks again,

RTJ

As it’s only been “a few days” why don’t you wait and see if your wife gets used to Sky Q. She’s new to it and it’ll probably take a little while to adjust to.

Give it a week and you probably won’t be able to prise the remote off her!

I've just gone up a ladder to look at the Sky dish. The LNB has only 2 cables attached to it, with 2 cables detached -that I assume went to the Humax box in room 2. These 2 detached cables are a tantalising 9 inches short of being able to be attached to a hybrid LNR that has (I assume) 4 female sockets. (That doesn't make much sense I know....how were they originally attached?).

I'll need to phone Sky I think.

Thanks again.

Ok, so Sky WON'T come and swap the LNB, so I may need to do it myself although the two short leads is a bit of a mystery. Can one buy one foot extensions I wonder?

Any recommendations for a good, easy-to-fit Hybrid LNB?

Thanks again!

Not something you can easily do yourself plus if you mess up the alignment sky will charge you another £60-£80 to put it right, the alignment is very critical so best to contact an independant TV/SAT aerial installer to carry out the work.
If it were me (I have fitted my own dishes in the past) and you are sure the two short leads were the old ones going to the humax box, I would just stick another old type dish and lnb (available for about £25) up beside the new dish and keep it independant of sky's system. Alignment is tricky though without a signal meter.

Thanks Kapkirk; understood- but that's Bad News - (I thought it would be easier than that). Presumably the old style dish + LNB is an EBay Jobbie (?).

Edit: or this: Amazon product ASIN B077DNH1D4

I'll do some more research. Thanks again.

If you do intend to do it yourself I would buy a zone 2 dish with a mark 4 quad LNB hopefully with included bracket/bolts etc, however it is not that easy as their are other satellites transmitting (13 deg E & 19 deg E, and unless you know you are locked onto Astra 2 @28.2 deg E your meter could give you false readings for those, this is why I would recommend a professional installer, they may even be able to do the hybrid LNB with the dish and cables already provided or advise what is the best way.

Thanks Kapkirk; all understood. I'm still hoping my wife's dislike for Sky will abate somewhat!

Thanks Kapkirk; all understood. I'm still hoping my wife's dislike for Sky will abate somewhat!
I’m an ex- Sky customer and have a Sky Q hybrid LNB that I do not need. If you are comfortable swapping out the existing Sky LNB I can post it to you. PM me with your details if so and I’ll send it tomorrow or Tuesday.

HB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom