Wife handed in notice, boss being an ****

bobflunkit

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Long story short.

Wife has worked for x for 11 years and eventually she's had enough and handed in notice.:thumbsup: suddenly he's changed her working hours, asked for company car back as of tomorrow.(yes she is taxed on it as a perk)

For the past 11 years she's always done more than she should of, extra work at home, no lunch breaks, unpaid overtime every day.

Now instead of her normal hours (8-4) he's now insisting on 9-5

Does anyone know if he's allowed to behave in this way?

She wants to do the professional thing and try to pass on her experience and knowledge to someone who will take over her role, I say work to rule, if he's going to be a tool about it.

Sorry,I've got to vent. As I'm going to get it both barrels when she gets home.:D

I would probably just go with it and be 'happy' about it. Don't let him get a rise out of you, it won't be for much longer - you can count the days down :)

I would probably just go with it and be 'happy' about it. Don't let him get a rise out of you, it won't be for much longer - you can count the days down :)

I take the opposite view ; she's already resigned. He's being a tool.
Work to rule.

All well and good, but a bit tricky getting to work without a car. 22 miles and three bus journeys to get to work. No way to get home as public transport doesn't exist after 5pm in rural norfolk.

She won't even listen to what I want her to do. Well, no change there then.;)

I had to look up 'work-to-rule' :) I see what you're both on about now.. sure I can get on board with that

Work to rule.

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks it.

absolutely, work to rule. If he is being a tool then offer no flexibility what so ever with regards to starting and finishing times, if she has a work phone turn it off as of 5pm without fail.

Also, with regards to training up a replacement, is training covered in her job description? If not then why train someone? the company can look after training :)

What goes around comes around mr manager man.

I presume it would be an internal escalation initially, there are guidelines out there regarding things that have 'become' your job even though it's maybe outwith your contract. I.e. if she's done 8-4 for 10 years (or whatever) then that becomes the standard.

Is it CAB or ACAS that are a good starting point for this sort of thing? I think they would generally advise to raise a grievance within the workplace following standard guidelines. Although with your wife leaving the company they might advise a different route, not entirely sure basically lol.

ACAS were good help when I called them recently about some work issues so I'd be tempted to get her to call them and see what they say.

Just get her to go to the doctor, explain that the situation is making her stressed, unable to sleep etc, get signed off with work related stress for notice period.

Taking away a company car and expecting an employee to travel 22 rural miles is a total dick move.

I would dig out the contract of employment
What field does she work in? Is it a large/small company?
Has she always worked 8-4?
What are the terms of company car? Presume she pays bik tax?
Why is she leaving?

She is office manager and sales. She has to train everyone that works there and as far as mobile, that's to be handed in tomorrow, with laptop etc.

She leaving due to constant pressure from him about everything she does, not being correct even though she's actually done nothing wrong. Why no new contracts etc. Well, the dedicated salespeople and telesales haven't got any new contracts either.

No pay rise for 7 years. I told her,to tell him to swivel years ago.

She currently works in mobile industry but leaving to do something totally different.

The boss obviously owns the company, and she's worked for him from 6 months of him starting the business nearly twelve years ago. I've known him about twenty years and I used to have upmost respect for him,but over the last year or two,that's changed massively. If he was on fire, I wouldn't waste it on him.

Last edited:
Just get her to go to the doctor, explain that the situation is making her stressed, unable to sleep etc, get signed off with work related stress for notice period.

Taking away a company car and expecting an employee to travel 22 rural miles is a total dick move.

This. :smashin:

She is office manager and sales. She has to train everyone that works there and as far as mobile, that's to be handed in tomorrow, with laptop etc.

She leaving due to constant pressure from him about everything she does, not being correct even though she's actually done nothing wrong. Why no new contracts etc. Well, the dedicated salespeople and telesales haven't got any new contracts either.

No pay rise for 7 years. I told her,to tell him to swivel years ago.

The constant pressure and it being the reason for her resignation also strengthens a work related stress absence.

It's illegal for him to give her a bad reference. All he is obliged to do is confirm that she worked there and for how long so don't worry about him ruining her future employment opportunities.

No one needs that ****. Just tell her to walk away. She is willing to be professional and perform a hand over. He is making that option impossible. She tried to find middle ground, he refused. Nowhere else to go. Just leave.

Is it large company? Get her to talk to HR

I would get her to explain that she has company car as part of her overall package and that this should continue until termination date
I would get her to explain that 8-4 is her normal working day and has been for x years- would then point out the change would need to go through a consultation period
Would also say laptop and mobile are for work related activities which she will no longer be able to undertake once they have been returned

Would then get her to explain that her working life is being made very difficult and ask if the company would rather she took garden leave (paid) for her notice period

Find out what the original contract says in terms of hours etc..
Get all the facts then request HR meeting why the change and what they say regards the return of car hours and policy.

Also at the that meet say you will be seeking legal advice as the beahviour and demanding from the boss is a total u-turn.

even though 9-5 on your contract if she has been doing 8-4 and he had a problem with it he would have corrected it etc...

if hes being a tool about it hit em where it hurts. mention employment tribunal also if she feels that he is using unnessary verbal force, it can be seen as bullying etc..

business is business... she does not get up every morning to be treated like cr@p.!

get HR involved now!!! and kick it off. make the last month hell for him!

Is it large company? Get her to talk to HR

I would get her to explain that she has company car as part of her overall package and that this should continue until termination date
I would get her to explain that 8-4 is her normal working day and has been for x years- would then point out the change would need to go through a consultation period
Would also say laptop and mobile are for work related activities which she will no longer be able to undertake once they have been returned

Would then get her to explain that her working life is being made very difficult and ask if the company would rather she took garden leave (paid) for her notice period

I agree. Before attempting anything like getting signed off with stress, approach HR and try to find a solution. However if it's a small business and there isn't an HR dept, than just go see your doctor as I doubt you'll get anywhere based on the boss's previous behaviour.

Work to rule.
I don't disagree with this, but it would be a good idea to check what the rules are first.... it might not be in her favour. Does her contract state what hours she is expected to work (start/finish times I mean, not duration)? What are the contractual T&C regarding the company car?

Last edited:
Just read the additional post. even though he owns the company there is legal rights for your wife.

I must retract my original post :) and agree with the rest of the posters.. good luck!

Be careful with work to rule, that can be classified as industrial action and can get you into trouble of correct procedures not followed

small company no HR.

if no company lawyer on site... you just say can i have the details of your legal or would you prefer if mine along with the employment tribunal contact you direct??? if hes a complete helmet... then say can you have it in writing by end of business today that what is to be returned etc.. and then kick of the legal process

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Hours - If she has a contract which explicitly states working hours as 8-4 then the management cannot change that without renegotiating the contract.

If it is not explicitly defined but she has been working 8-4 for some time then she has a precedent but I believe the management can still change it to benefit the operation of the company.

If the contract states 9-5 then I suspect she has no come back at all.

Company Car - that remains with her for the notice period - he can't simply demand it back tomorrow. Of course if your wife has said she isn't working notice and the company has agreed then she has to return the car immediately.

If he has been mal-treating her then that is a seperate matter as she could claim constructive dismissal.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom