Wife friendly speaker replacements (Gallo?)

kempez

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Yamaha NSP280 with a Sony STR-DG820 in the lounge (my secondary setup funnily enough). I listen to music quite a lot in here when I'm on my todd, so I wanted to replace the front two speakers with something a little nicer sounding. The Yamaha's sound ok in 2.1, but I really want something better.

So far the wife has said I can have a similar sized set of speakers and it seems to me the best upgrade may be a set of Anthony Gallo Nucleaus Micro Ti.

Does anyone have any better recommendations, or experience with the Gallo's? Will they be worth my cash? Happy to demo and buy local if a dealer has them in stock

Any help/advice appreciated :)

PS: worth noting I may eventually replace them all at some point. Thinking maybe B&W M1's too?

Last edited:
Bump, anyone?

Thinking of waiting until B&W get the M1 replacements out. The misses is happy with the size/shape of them and I love the sound of the M1's.

Last edited:
Hi
First post here - I'm in a similar predicament! Currently got a Jamo set-up with their 200 Sub which my wife hates - "the great lumpy box".
We are just having the integral double garage converted into a new lounge and need 'wife friendly' / design style speakers to get the nod.
The only sub so far that seem to tick the right boxes is the KEF HTB2 SE - but is it style over function? Is the KEF KHT3005 series 'old hat' now?

Have decided on the Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver - that was the easy bit!!
Cheers
Graham

kef t series are very wife friendly

Wife thinks the Kef T series look "square and horrible". She actually quite liked the B&W M1's. She likes the Gallo's, but I'm not sure on them myself as they seem a little expensive for what they are?

Hi,

I just sold a number of Orbs on the classifieds here. The Gallo Micro's are almost identical but much more costly. Both are extremely WAF Friendly & for satellite speakers with small form factor, really extremely good indeed. They are extremely unobtrusive, are very flexible in terms of positioning & placement and can blend away with the surroundings or at least not be a visual eyesore.

For what they are, they offer really good performance - read the various reviews on the web. I would suggest, that carful consideration is given to a decent subwoofer as that can make all the difference! Hope that helps!

Suave!

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at those. Are they USA only? Ideally I'd like to listen.

My worry is that I don't want to compromise on good stereo sound whilst keep er indoors happy!

Hi,

The Orbs are mail order direct from the USA only & Gallo's readily available in the UK. Other options you can look at are the Cambridge Audio Minx & QAcoustics Q7000. Also, KEF has some very nice sub/sat packages. If you are on a tight budget, then look at some of the Jamo & Canton models.

Suave!

I might see if I can find some Gallo's to listen to. I've got a full sized setup in the spare room, so worried about compromising on sound quality in stereo. Also, I think if I'm getting speakers I may as well save up and get a set, the Yamaha sub with my NSP280 package won't cut it with decent sats I don't think.

Can't see the B&W set anywhere in stock, may have to wait until April for the refreshed line-up to take a listen.

I might see if I can find some Gallo's to listen to. I've got a full sized setup in the spare room, so worried about compromising on sound quality in stereo. Also, I think if I'm getting speakers I may as well save up and get a set, the Yamaha sub with my NSP280 package won't cut it with decent sats I don't think.

Can't see the B&W set anywhere in stock, may have to wait until April for the refreshed line-up to take a listen.

Hi,

I am running Orbs for Surround duties (Rears, Wides & Heights) = 6 in White & also have a set of 8 Black ones for the L/C/R Front End by way of Mod-2's for L&R and a Mod-4 for the Centre. I have just sold the excess ones I had on the classifieds here but depending on how things go, I might even let go of them in future - want to hold on to them for now as they are difficult to source here - feel free to get in touch in April when you are ready & I may be able to give you a clearer idea at the time if you are interested?

The Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro's & Orbs offer near identical performance & there really is not that much much in it between the Anthony Gallo A'Diva's & a Orb Mod-2 system. The problem with Gallo is that they cost really top money & I personally feel that are much better value propositions for the money. Either way, do not go for a Gallo or Orb subwoofer - better options can be had elsewhere as well. Try a REL, BK Electric & a smaller SVS etc.

Suave!

Unsure on the Orbs as I like having full UK warranty on my AV and like having somewhere I can demo and take stuff back to if I have an issue. Also, a lot of other speakers only have the one year.

Still thinking about this. Don't want to wait for the B&W's and think that they'll go over the top of my budget - I want a full 5.1 system to ensure integration for movies. Options are:

Anthony Gallo ADiva 5.1 package
Focal Dome 5.1 package
Kef 5005 SE 5.1 package

Any more feedback is appreciated, thanks to all who've contributed so far! :thumbsup:

Hi,

I think out of your list the Focal Domes & A'Diva sets-ups would be better than the KEF from what I have read but I believe that the supplied/matching subwoofers for each are deemed the weak point in each. It might be far better to consider a different subwoofer from one f the established brands but others in the know may be able to offer you more accurate info!

Suave!

Yeah I get what you're saying for sure. I've a BK XLS200DF and it's an awesome sub. It certainly matches my floorstanders very well.

I'm a bit worried that if I do opt for the 5.0 + setup though that any sub I choose would perhaps not integrate as well as those made for the sats. However, I'm willing to look into the options. The usual suspects as far as subs go don't always fulfil the missus 'pretty' requirement, aside from the B&W PV1, which is both expensive and eol!

The focal and the Gallo's (sats at least) certainly look like the front runners for me so far. I'm looking to buy in 1-2 weeks so the search and investigation continues!

Last edited:
Yeah I get what you're saying for sure. I've a BK XLS200DF and it's an awesome sub. It certainly matches my floorstanders very well.

I'm a bit worried that if I do opt for the 5.0 + setup though that any sub I choose would perhaps not integrate as well as those made for the sats. However, I'm willing to look into the options. The usual suspects as far as subs go don't always fulfil the missus 'pretty' requirement, aside from the B&W PV1, which is both expensive and eol!

The focal and the Gallo's (sats at least) certainly look like the front runners for me so far. I'm looking to buy in 1-2 weeks so the search and investigation continues!

Hi,

It is a problem that I am struggling to understand myself (always have!) - something about having a crossover control on the sub that allows one to set things at a higher frequency to avoid any "Holes" in the sound. I have learnt that the smaller the satellites, the more of a problem this becomes. The Domes & A'Diva's use much larger drivers so it may not be a problem at all with using them & a most subwoofers.

Ironically, last night, I did a whole bunch of googling on various subwoofers from around the world & most by far offer a crossover control that only goes up to around 120hz & some 140-150hz. Dedicated sub/sat systems have subs with very small satellites have subs that have a higher crossover upper limit of 200hz so as to match the satellites without that "hole" but then you are limited to using & buying that only!

A case in point, I have REL Q200E's & was considering using The Cambridge Audio Minx line of Satellites - problem is the REL sub (like most) only allows a crossover upper limit of 100hz but the CA Minx Subs have one of 200hz.

I am very unsure but I have been informed that one can bypass the sub controls & use the controls on the AV Receiver to set the Crossover settings to make everything perfectly match but am quite unsure!

Suave!

Yeah that's what's worrying me. Sure my AVR can balance it, but the larger subs literally aren't designed to do that sort of work, from my understanding. However, happy to be educated by someone who understands subs better than me :)

So really I'm kind of down to the Gallo's or the Dome's and I'm leaning towards the Gallo's still for the pure look (sad I know).

I'm a little unsure if I should drop down to the Micro's (+TR1), and get a new AVR to replace my STRDG820, or get the A'Diva + TR1 (or a n other sub). I'd happily get AVR + A'Diva's but that really is not going to get past the missus ;) I think there's about a ÂŁ300 difference which would leave me a bit of budget for a decent new AVR. Not that the Sony is bad though, so I'm not massively fussed if someone wants to tell me the Sony can do the job ;)

Yeah that's what's worrying me. Sure my AVR can balance it, but the larger subs literally aren't designed to do that sort of work, from my understanding. However, happy to be educated by someone who understands subs better than me :)

So really I'm kind of down to the Gallo's or the Dome's and I'm leaning towards the Gallo's still for the pure look (sad I know).

I'm a little unsure if I should drop down to the Micro's (+TR1), and get a new AVR to replace my STRDG820, or get the A'Diva + TR1 (or a n other sub). I'd happily get AVR + A'Diva's but that really is not going to get past the missus ;) I think there's about a ÂŁ300 difference which would leave me a bit of budget for a decent new AVR. Not that the Sony is bad though, so I'm not massively fussed if someone wants to tell me the Sony can do the job ;)

Hi,

If any possible way, I would audition both the A'Diva Ti's & the Domes before you commit - both of these carry a hefty premium so best to make sure! Remember, accessories my be expensive - I know the Gallo ones are & Focal should be no different!

I would totally avoid the Gallo sub -the BK would destroy it. Another system that has received very high praise is the Dali Fazon which you can look at but if I remember correctly, the sub was again the weak point.

Maybe best to consider the Satellites that best integrate with the BK Sub & discount the others - make a shortlist & eliminate based on preferences!

Suave!

I'm deffo going to audition the prospectives for sure! It seems the A'Diva Ti have extra extension that will allow better integration with another sub, so it may be a BK Gemini or an XLS200DF again as they represent ridiculous value and SQ. May take the missus into the showroom for a look at the speakers so she can approve too :)

Looking forward to having some decent longe speakers either way!

I'm deffo going to audition the prospectives for sure! It seems the A'Diva Ti have extra extension that will allow better integration with another sub, so it may be a BK Gemini or an XLS200DF again as they represent ridiculous value and SQ. May take the missus into the showroom for a look at the speakers so she can approve too :)

Looking forward to having some decent longe speakers either way!

Hi,

Just had a thought, if you can go somewhat bulkier, The Monitor Audio Apex are reputed to be absolutely excellent & the Paradigm Milenia One System won 2011 Product Of The Year in one of the US Home Theatre Magazines.

Suave!

Thanks again mate, really appreciate your feedback. I've looked at those and the MA's look good, as do the paradigms. I've heard the MA's and the sound is great. However after running about 15 options past the missus, she only liked the Gallo's and the Domes. I'm not hugely keen on the domes look so I've had a good think. I also spoke to Audio Affair who recommended the Domes and the Q Acoustics, as well as the Gallo's (but only said the TR-1 was "OK").

I had a thought and I've gone for:

3 x A'Diva Ti's (with bookshelf stands)
2 x Nucleus Micro (with wall mounts)
QED XTC speaker cable (really like the QED Bi-Wire I've got with my main set)

I'm looking at subs now and almost certainly going for the BK Gemini II DF in black. I'd love to stretch to another XLS200DF, but my budget is already stretched enough!

Audio Affair offer a 30 day money back guarantee and the missus has said she is happy to travel to Brum to take em back if I don't like them. Aft all, she's the one stopping me getting a set of Kef Q300's or B&W 683's or something as she thinks they're "ugly"! Women ey?! :nono::facepalm:

Thanks for all the input, if it's done anything it's made me think hard about what I want and need and given me some ideas to try out and get rejected by the 'better' half!

If you're interested, I'll post feedback and pics once it's all in, set up and burned in.

Hi Kempez!

Congrats!! I think you will be very happy & the good thing about buying quality & a highly respected brand is that the stuff will always command a high resale value!

Would love to read about your new speaker impressions so be sure to post!! By the way, if you need/want any, I have a couple of A'Diva & Micro Recessed Ceiling Mounts - let me know & I will place an ad in the classified section!

Suave!

Slight update. Saw the full set of the A'Diva Ti's (inc TR-1 sub, speaker cable and sub cable), for a ridiculously cheap price online and thought that I should deffo go for it. I emailed Audio Affair asking for a refund so I could buy the set on another site and they beat the price on the other site, as well as discounting the speaker wire I'd ordered (it was higher quality than that offered on the other site as a package). I think I'll try the TR-1 out and see how I get on with it. If it's not to my liking, I'll sell and buy the BK Gemini II.

Can't speak highly enough of Audio Affair, superb customer care and price-beating of another site. All going well with the delivery, I'll be using them again guaranteed! :thumbsup:

I'll get pics and review up when I've got em all sitting pretty at home :)

Last edited:
Some quick snaps :)

Big heavy box for the sub. The courier handed it to my misses with the warning "it's heavy". It's ridiculous and she's hurt her back!

All packaged up nicely and the A'Diva Ti's are superb quality out of the box. Very cold too (weird what you notice!). Would have liked the Alu finish, but what the misses says and all that. Quite surprised she's OK with the cost really. I expect the paid up holiday to the Maldives helped soften the blow :p

Got the bracket on the wall after some faffing around. Quite difficult to mount. Ignore the hole, will sort and fill later on. Lots of cobwebs, must have a word with the 'cleaner'!

The speaker cable is too think to fit through the hole for bare wire, so I'm grabbing some spade connectors tomorrow for 'em.

Will update on first play, then after a decent burn-in period

Attachments

• P1000014.jpg
    P1000014.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 365
  • P1000016.JPG
    P1000016.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 330
  • P1000017.jpg
    P1000017.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 283
  • P1000018.jpg
    P1000018.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 338
  • P1000019.JPG
    P1000019.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
All installed :)

I'm just running them in at the moment, not done any proper tuning and won't turn them up loud. I have already noticed they're more expressive in the top end than the yammy's 'cause a violin concerto came on AppleTV and it sounded pretty sweet. The mid-range sounds a bit tinny at the moment so I think I really need a proper run in time before I give them some beans and tune em up.

Missus likes the look, whilst still complaining about the fact I bought speakers for "no reason" ;) Gotta love women ey!?

P1000023.jpg

P1000024.jpg

P1000025.jpg

P1000026.jpg

P1000027.jpg

P1000029.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom