1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wife friendly pw6?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GCDB, Nov 18, 2004.

1. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a question for you pw6 owners. If i bought a pw6 would it be easy to set up through amp for er to switch on and watch Tv easily. What is the best way as she does not seem to take well to technology.
    I have the dsp 750 amp and basic sky box. In other words at present if i want sound running through the amp i have to turn amp on.....set program(even on auto mode)......turn on tv....turn on sky.....
    With existing tv she turns it on from standby and watches analogue channels.With a pw6 obviously this is not the same.
    This might seem silly questions but is it possible to turn on amp and the pw6 will come on and sky?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I guess you'd need to invest in a programmable remote control and set various task macros such as watch DVD & watch Sky which would set the amp, plasma, Sky and DVD player accordingly.

Cheers, Lee

3. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had the problem of getting my PWD6 husband and son friendly, and even for myself as I easily forget which input, source, channel etc.

My solution was a programmable remote control, the Pronto RU950. It takes quite a bit of work to programme, but you can configure it to be as idiot proof as possible. You could even setup a wife friendly set of devices on it with just the basics and also have a more advanced set of devices for yourself. You can even put in a set of help screens if necessary. The beauty of a programmable remote is that you can programme a single button press to do many things. For example, you could have an ON button that turned on the plasma, sky and amp and set everything to the right inputs and sources for Sky. Another button could just change all the inputs and sources for DVD.

I find my home cinema quite difficult to use without my Pronto. I don't have to remember anything about how things are connected, because my Pronto is already programmed for it. I even have macro buttons for each channel on my Telewest cable. I never have to try to remember what three digit channel number to press for Hallmark or BBCNews 24.

If you don't like touch screen remotes, there are plenty of programmable remotes that are hard button only.

4. PeterJay

PeterJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PW6 and the Sony 750 amp as you are considering. Its connected to a Sky+, DVD recorder, Xbox and PS2. Everything is connected with SVideo into the amp, then output as component to the plasma with optical connections for all audio.

I was concerned that turning the amp on to watch TV and select inputs would be a pain all the time for my family but it really isnt, one thing that helps is that the Sony remote supplied is a good univeral remote which can easily control the Amp, DVD, Xbox media player (and Sky-, though I normally stick with the Sky remote for that, as its so good) with the lower buttons on the remote taking on the control functions of the device you select to listen to and watch. In practice its mainly Sky we watch so you often dont need to reselect inputs on the amp, you just turn on the PW6 and the amp and you are away.

I have tried the pronto route and hate it, frankly (an 890, and before that a £300 Harman Kardon/ Microsoft remote). I always found the touchscreen far less intuitive and satisfying to use than a remote with proper buttons

(Incidentally newer standard Sky+ remotes can also be programmed to control the volume on the Sony amp easily, that is a good usability feature for when you have the Sky remote in your hand rather than the amp)

Peter

5. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for replying all,
    My amp by the way is yamaha dsp750se(already have )which is programmable and has a learn function but i guess i cant program it to do three things at once,ie turn tv on and sky and amp?
    What is this pronto? And how much is it???

6. PeterJay

PeterJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry- braindead when I wrote "Sony" there, I did mean the Yamaha 750 the same as you have

We may be able to get the plasma power controlled from the Yamaha remote though (so you just press system power to turn the amp on, then one of the two lower power buttons for the plasma) I already control the aspect ratio on the plasma from a spare button when its in Sky mode.

I'll take a look when I get home

Peter

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    www.pronto.philips.com is where to look. The 950 is the B?W model, it's a bastard to program with Yamaha stuff, it doesn't like the codes. Be persistent, it works eventually. A black sugar paper tunnel helps when learning code, and Yamaha codes look completely different to everyone else's. You will need a charging station unless you are MD of duracell. I'm making it sound hard, it's not so bad really, but the colour ones are a heck of a lot easier. You buy them from a forum member, who runs www.letsautomate.com a very very efficient operation indeed. There's another site you will need, www.remotecentral.com where you will find separate on/off codes for your stuff, and some configs people have already done to give you some ideas. It's actually a hobby to some. Just another day's work for me.

8. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My Pronto 950 controlled my Yamaha DSP A2 without any problems, though I did import all the codes from my previous Pronto 890, which had learned all of the codes successfully.

RemoteCentral is the place to find out all you ever need to know about the Pronto and Philips support staff occasionaly post on the forums. There is a very detalied FAQ there as well.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Importing is the secret of your success. The latest firmware has much improved the 950, well worth doing. Still horrendous to learn Yamaha code though.

10. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Again thanks for info.
    Used the yam remote to program most of my equipment last night so introducing it slowly to Wife...By the way sorry tt,i was not being sexist or anything on my original post.
    Another question relating to this subject...If i got pw6, and component board,if sky to vga etc then does vga have priority when switching on or does this have to be selected over component etc.

11. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's alright, I'm used to it. I'm quite unusual with such a big interest in home cinema and computers. Most women just don't want to know and just worry what it will look like and how much it will cost. Although most of my female friends are using computers for word processing etc. I'm the one they call when things go wrong.

With regard to input switching on the PW6, I'm not sure if there is any auto switching as it is normally triggered by a pin on a scart lead. However, there is a single button code to go straight through to the VGA input, whereas the other inputs have to be toggled through to on a single button. Therefore if you have Sky connected to VGA it will be easier to set up a macro for it.

12. MillionDollar

MillionDollar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the question of Remote Controls, you know with the Sky control you can program it to operate the TV. If I am getting a PW6, will Sky+ control be able to turn on the Plasma?