Wife friendly lounge home cinema.

jimmy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

like a lot of people on here i have been lurking in the back ground trying to soak up information and ideas from you knowledgeable bunch.

we have decided to re decorate the lounge so I have been given the go ahead by the boss to create a home cinema install as long as its discrete and tasteful. I have previously been running a 7.2 set up with B&W 603 s3 as the fronts with the B&W CC6 for centre and in ceiling speakers for the surrounds and rears, i have a BK XXLs 400 and a rel stampede for the Subs.

I have sold the fronts and centre as the wife wasn't happy with these and plan on going with in walls (more wife friendly).

From this forum I already know there are a few things that are not ideal, in wall/ in ceiling speakers seem a bit of a compromise and different make of subs is a no no.

So i will be putting some pictures up in the next few days and as the build progresses, i will have plenty of questions so any help/advise will be much appreciated. unfortunately this will be a very budget conscious build as i just don't have the funds to chuck at this, even though every fibre of me wants to go big.

1st question, while i have the lounge in pieces should i wire for atmos speakers, i'm thinking of going for a 7.2.4 layout, but this causes issues with the budget already due to the cost of a receiver that will power the 7.2.4 speakers.

2nd question, the surround Left and Right are still going to be in the ceiling, as i can't get them on the walls, i am going to put the rears in walls, but was wondering if there would be enough distinction from the atmos speakers and surrounds due to them all being in the ceiling. I have never listened to an atmos set up apart from at the cinema, so any feed back would be great.

Well i think that's enough waffle from me for the minute.

Thanks in advance

2nd question, the surround Left and Right are still going to be in the ceiling, as i can't get them on the walls, i am going to put the rears in walls, but was wondering if there would be enough distinction from the atmos speakers and surrounds due to them all being in the ceiling.

Short answer no, if your going to compromise and put your L/R surrounds in the ceiling (which will just about work and is probably better than no surrounds, but still a compromise) I'd stick to a 5.1 setup, I wouldn't even go 7.1, let alone Atmos.

Your effectively trying to merge a incorrectly positioned base 7.1 layer with overhead/atmos object channels, which will never sound right. Just cramming in more speaker in (esp. if incorrectly placed) won't improve things and will likely make thing sounds worse, not better.

How much Atmos content are you likely to watch? I understand the thoughts around future proofing (and if perfect placement was possible that would-be a wise move). But apart from new studio blockbusters the majority of BluRays (particularly older films) are still only mastered for 5.1

If budget is a concern, concentrate on your front LCR channels/speakers, that's where 80% of the audio is coming from. Worry about getting the clearest/cleanest dialog from your fronts, before you worry about adding additional ceiling channels for the occasional overhead helicopter effect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, its a lounge first and foremost, that i'm trying to shoe horn a cinema into so there are compromises.

What you are saying makes perfect sense and I think I was just scared of not future proofing (and missing out on the new technology) while i'm carrying out the work, but like you have said in reality how much content that I will watch will have the Atmos soundtrack.

I might have another look at the surrounds and see if there is anything i can do to get them on the walls rather than in the ceiling ( it may cost me a new handbag).

The other issue is i have no choice, but the centre is going to be above the screen, this is due to the screen will be coming down in front of a set of internal Bi-fold doors, so again this is all adding up to not an overly ideal speaker layout.

Jamieu is correct, in that if you put any of your base layer speakers up at height, you will end up with a very much compromised Atmos setup.

I would very much try to keep your LCR in-line, or as close to it as possible. To this end, have you considered a Centre on a discreet stand that you could place underneath your screen at movie time. Depending on what speakers you go for, this could be quite portable and easily moved into position when needed, and equally, hidden away when not in use.

It may sound like a spot of hassle, but would yield better panning across the front soundstage. Again, placing just your centre above the screen would preclude any future move to Atmos.

It should be noted, that while many of your movie collection may not be Atmos, all Atmos receivers have Dolby Surround, which 'upmixes' a non Atmos track and utilises your overhead speakers - the same for DTS Neural X. So, IMO, if you can achieve an Atmos setup, or at least pre-wire for one, the results are worth it.

Have you got a room plan? A picture always helps with brainstorming these issues.

I previously had the centre on a stand that i placed under the screen when we watched a movie on the screen, it wasn't a big hassle, but it just felt a bit half hearted having to move the centre speaker back and forth and seemed to take the edge off using the big screen.

The idea is to go in wall with the LCR so its a a cleaner look ( wife friendly ). i'm thinking of toeing the centre down slightly and possibly the L&R inwards, to hit the main listening position, this would just mean some complicated plaster boarding, getting all the angles to meet nicely.

I will add a simple room layout later if i get chance.

It still wouldn't be the ideal placement for your L/R surrounds (too high), but if you did have to mount your L&R surround channels in the ceiling, a compromise might be to used motorised angled speakers at either side of the ceiling, something like this.
Ci200.3QT

As for the front LCR, could you mount them in-wall and then have an recessed/in-ceiling, acoustic transparent screen drop-down in-front of them? Obv. depends on how high your ceiling is, but that would allow you to mount the speaker right above the door, as opposed to above the screen-casing. Just some more food for though!

The angle on these is probably too step/sharp for your seating position, but a long, thin and angled in-wall like this could disappear into the wall above the door quite nicely. If your seating is further back, then depending on how high up the wall they are you could probably get away with a standard non-angled/flush-mounted, in-wall speaker.
Ci3-80QT

The surrounds i have in the ceiling are Speakercraft Aim8 five's and the rears are Speakercraft Aim8 one's, also in ceiling, so the cone can be aimed towards the seating position but the speaker/grille are still flat in the ceiling. the kefs you have suggested look great though.
PROFILE AIM8 FIVE | Speakercraft | Bold performance. In-ceiling, in-wall and outdoor speakers.

I'm planning on building the wall out where the bi-fold doors are, to hide an electric blackout blind, to cover the doors (They are fully glazed) then have the screen in the false wall that drops in front off the blind with the centre as close to the top off the doors as possible and L&R housed in the wall either side of the screen. This will evolve as i start building the false wall i'm sure.

Then I was planning to move the rears to in-wall as well, using the Speakercraft Aim8 one's as Atmos with a new pair.

hope this makes sense, it obviously does to me as I've been planning it for a while, it will when i get round to uploading a few pictures and room layouts.

thanks again.

Please see attached sketch, i know it's very crude so don't all laugh too much.

The red circles are the existing Speakercraft Aim series speakers and the Green dahses are the proposed new speaker locations, I have labeled them as they would be in the new set up.

The TV is/will be used for general viewing and the screen/speakers for big sporting events and films only. The TV is on a full motion bracket and has worked well so i can't see me changing from this, it folds flat against the wall when not in use and pulls out to whatever angle suits best for viewing. I am going to build a bit of a false wall for the TV to be recessed into though, iv'e seen some great builds/ideas on this forum.

any comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_7070[1].JPG
    IMG_7070[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 264
My immediate thought would be to switch the room around by 180 degrees.

I don't know what your seating arrangements are though - and yes, it'd involve moving the TV too, to the other side of the fireplace.

Stick a bench seat filling the bay, and you've got somewhere to hide your LCR speakers (underneath the seat). Drop down screen in front of the window.

It'd then just be a case of finding a seating arrangement to go with the layout.

This would allow all base level speakers to be in-wall, and allow good separation from the overhead Atmos speakers.

contemporary-living-room.jpg

That's exactly what i wanted to do, I had it all planned out that way when we first bought the house, there is even a un used chord HDMI cable ran from the where the projector was going to the bay window, it wasn't cheap and has never been used ,not even tested, just sat there waiting. I have already built the widow seat with storage for our little ones toys. As you have said it would be perfect for the AV kit and the centre speaker, but the wife is dead against it as she doesn't want to be looking on to the road even though it's very quiet, and she feels like people would be looking in the house if they walk past while she's watching tv etc, I know everyone is screaming " well close the curtains then",but we generally only close the curtains if we are watching a film.

The window seat i built which would have been perfect for the AV Kit and centre.

Attachments

• IMG_7075[1].JPG
    IMG_7075[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_7076[1].JPG
    IMG_7076[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_7077[1].JPG
    IMG_7077[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 253
That's exactly what i wanted to do, I had it all planned out that way when we first bought the house, there is even a un used chord HDMI cable ran from the where the projector was going to the bay window, it wasn't cheap and has never been used ,not even tested, just sat there waiting. I have already built the widow seat with storage for our little ones toys.

Brilliant! :smashin:

As you have said it would be perfect for the AV kit and the centre speaker, but the wife is dead against it as she doesn't want to be looking on to the road even though it's very quiet, and she feels like people would be looking in the house if they walk past while she's watching tv etc,

:facepalm: Err... Does she not realise that whether people are looking in or not has nothing to do with which way you're facing? In fact, with the TV where you currently have it, the light spill is directed more towards the street and, IMO, is more likely to attract attention!

Personally, I'd like to know if someone is taking an interest in the property - and not have my back to them!

I know everyone is screaming " well close the curtains then",but we generally only close the curtains if we are watching a film.
Café nets then? I used to have these in the kitchen in my ground floor flat. Half-height net curtains - gives you privacy from people looking in at street level, but you can look over them for the street view.

Or vertical/horizontal/combination blinds?

I don't want to be too harsh on your good lady, but she needs to realise what this means, both to you as your passion/hobby, and to the betterment of your living room. We could give her a stern talking to if you like?! Though, if she's anything like my good lady, she'll just fight back!

I've usually found the best approach is begging!:blush::D

cafe net.jpg

Blinds.jpg

Oh she definitely needs a good talking to, but its like banging my head against a brick-wall at times. I might wait until she's goes away for a weekend with the girls and just re arrange to whole lounge, as a surprise for her when she returns.:D It would be kind of like changing rooms, but without lLaurence Llewelyn-Bowen (if any of you can remember that).

I do remember that - and indeed, was going to be the next thing to suggest.

Just close off the room while you're working in it and present her with a fait-acompli!

Far easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! :D

Where do the bi-fold doors lead? Is there another room that could be utilised?

Far easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Too true:D

yeah the Bi-folds lead in to open plan kitchen diner / day room that we created in the extension we built. there is a lot of light that comes through the bi-folds as they are fully glazed and the extension we have 3no large velux roof windows and 2no sets of 9ft wide french windows. Which is why i was going to intsall an electric blackout roller blind to cover the doors.

Attachments

• IMG_3867.JPG
    IMG_3867.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2721.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2722.JPG
    IMG_2722.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2723.JPG
    IMG_2723.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2725.JPG
    IMG_2725.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2727.JPG
    IMG_2727.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 239
Hi,

One issue I am grappling with is my white ceiling, how to get it black. Makes a big difference to projected image, might be worth trying to get this slipped in to your plans. Currently I am looking at ceiling curtains as way of achieving this, but quite a lot of resistance as makes lounge rather gothic!

On getting past your good lady, quote from colleague "better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission"!

Kevin

I Know the white ceiling and light coloured walls are another big issue, I was trying to convince the Boss that a lovely dark grey ceiling would be nice, I don't think she was over joyed at the idea, but there's still time for me to work on her and make her see the error of her ways:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom