Question Wife friendly floor standing speakers.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by andybond, Jun 20, 2015.

1. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi all,

I currently have a rather decent amp ( a Yamaha AX3030 ) paired with 5 B&W M1 speakers and a velodyne sub. My TV is a wife friendly Samsung 55uh8500.

I want some new floorstands and center for the front. I think I should be able to get away with using two M1 for the rear.

I am having trouble getting past the wife aesthetic approval board. My favourite speaker the b&w 803 series speaker was dismissed instantly.

Anyone able to recommend anything that might get past the aesthetic approval board ?

Currently tried :
    Dali Sensor Series
    B&W 803 series

I have since thrown my arms up in the air and decided to ask if anyone has any suggestions.

Divorce isnt an option as I would be living in a shoe box with the settlement costs.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Talking of shoe box's keep in mind that other than getting approval from 'the Boss' the Loudspeaker/Room interaction will have a big impact on what you hear in your room.

Many floor standing speakers require a bit of space between the rear of the speaker and your wall or they simply 'boom' whenever any bass is sent to them.

Also remember that Movies are mixed for limited range speakers plus a Sub for LFE so for Movies you set your Speakers to 'small' no matter what physical size or bass extension they are capable of.

In many 'domestic' settings a better option may be a higher quality wall mounted speaker to replace the M1's with the likes of Artcoustic usually keeping the Interior Design Dept happy too!

Joe

3. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Interesting points Joe, thanks for the feedback.

I can afford space behind a wall , the room is fairly large and can accommodate this.

The wall mounting might be an issue , as I am about to have a "feature" wall papered and its that wall that the speaker would need to be mounted to. Visual wires are a big no no.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Get cables into the wall before you decorate!

Ideally we ask clients to delay decorating until everything else is finalised and first fix cables and (where required) loudspeaker mounts (hidden support pads etc) are installed.

If you have the space then floor standing are an option - what would be the plan for the matching Centre?

Joe

5. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Joe.
    The decorators are coming Monday. The Wife mentioned about the move around and I was going to utilise the space ..

Center : I was thinking the HTM1 for the center. Retaining just 2 of the B&W m1 ( pre 2012 ) for the rear.

6. AVUSERANON

AVUSERANON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    B&W CM8 S2 - they do 2 sizes on the center speaker. Heard that they are big on the wife friendly factor.

7. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Interesting ! I shall investigate !

8. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have read a little about the CM8S2 .

Are they going to be a real step up from the M1 ?

9. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    A step up in what regard? A lot depends on why you want to upgrade to floor standing speakers.

For listening to stereo music without the subwoofer then yes I'd say you'd see an improvement.

For movies, as Joe has already said they are generally mixed for a sub/sat system and if you are utilising the subwoofer the advice is usually to set the FL & FR speakers as small so you may not see as massive an improvement as you expect as the LFE will not be directed to the floorstanders anyhow.

10. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Interesting.

I wanted a bigger sound from the speakers to see if I could get any more quality. I must admit I quite like the sound as is , but a bit of me always thinks - can it be better.

I will mostly be listening to films from BlueRay or stuff from Netflix ( sigh , that quality really isnt all that on netflix )

11. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    The B&W M1's are a cracking sub/sat system and I'll readily admit that I am a fan of B&W (I have the MM-1 PC Speakers and they are awesome.

I can understand the desire to upgrade but will it sound massively better I honestly don't know.

As Joe often points out room layout and how the equipment is set up can have as much influence of the sound as the kit that you have.

Are you on good enough terms with your local AV shop to have them arrange an in-home demo of the CM8S2's - these are not cheap speakers after all.

If they will it will let you experiment with positioning and get a feel for if they give enough improvement to justify the ££££'s they cost. Also this will let SHMBO see them in the home environment - this could be a positive or negative thing of course but better to find out before you buy them than after.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  12. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Excellent point on the try before I buy. I will have to ask around to see if I can have some loan ones.

13. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The B&W C8 S2 ( thats quite a mouthful ! ) have passed muster ! :)

Just need someone to say yes , the SQ will be much better , or no - save your cash.

I am quite fortunate that the room is not quite square in shape ( http://assets.barratthomes.co.uk/webimage/celum/BAR_FloorPlan/7187.jpg ) I have made it into a square by using a corner sofa.

Please see my Davinci like remodelling.
    CS is for corner sofa.

davinci.JPG

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    You'll want to frame that diagram!

Like others have suggested I'd be wanting to try out (at least) the Front LR in your room.

Which Velodyne do you have?

Joe

15. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi Joe,

I will have to start talking nicely to the local AV vendors.

Its a Velodyne CRT-10 sub. Old one , but I quite like it. Rumbles for England.

16. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Floors ganders to please the wife... Um don't think I know if such thing exists. I've installed some gorgeous floor standees, canton reference, MAs, the list is long. The wife, and husband either connects with that or doesn't. It's a taste thing.
    Monitor Audio soundframes can be cool if you have them printed. They do an inwall version too. Depends upon the sound/compromise which is acceptable too.

17. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I will only upgrade my current setup , not really looking for compromise really. I need to audition.

18. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    You'll be choosing between floor stands or stand mounts then. Aesthetics becomes the secondary concern... Or you need to compromise. You can't change the physical characteristic of design just find a solution your happy with. I would challenge anyone to offer a solution which sounds like a product of very different physical design.

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Sub - you could consider an upgrade, though it's a pretty decent unit.

Spks - as per previous posts Floor stand speakers are not the only option, there are plenty of high quality On-wall to consider.

Joe

20. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Indeed there are Joe but would you concede you'll struggle to get the sound for pound of a cabinet speaker, purely because of the nature of its design. It's such a subjective thing only the posters ears in the posters lounge can decide what's going to work. They have been looking at some very competent cabinet speakers after all. I once fitted some Canton references in a lounge, they became the focal point that everyone was transfixed with. Truly lovely speakers, certainly weren't for hiding.

21. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Floorstanding - as you say you can make them a focal point rather than something which jars visually with the room decor.

On-wall - aesthetics and room layout has meant manufacturers have had to get creative, we have put together systems using Artcoustic, Anthony Gallo, M&K... which don't lack for anything but have stuck with On-wall.

Joe

22. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have always been quite happy with the sub. It appears to rumble for England ! Any suggestions however ? I am always open to suggestion for new Hifi kit !

Do you have any suggestions Joe ? I know the brands to look for in floor stands , but have zero experience of on the the wall options.

23. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I can. Its the aesthetic council that I married that wont :)

Valid points though - thank you.

24. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Joe, granted on walls have become astonishingly good since I used to retail, however the do have a different dynamic. Not had experience of the M&K but artcoustic do sound well, how do they sound when compared to a more conventional design for the price.
    There is quite a list of speakers aimed at this market,
    Artcoustic
    Monitor Audio
    DLS to name a few but most manufacturers try to take a piece of that market.
    Invisible speakers are cool also but you pay a big premium for the fact you cannot see them and they can be rather a strange experience especially in a home theatre. Personally I find it very disconcerting having such a dispersive sound from something you cannot see. A similarly priced pair of floor stands would destroy them sound wise, however when you take into account they are invisible and if that's what you need, it's hard not to be impressed by them.

25. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    How does one go about requesting a demo set of speakers ?

26. shortyav

shortyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Depends what your after but in most cases it requires a visit to a vendor. Or a trip out with your designated installer. Installers if they don't have demo units will normally only set up demos of dearer product as its hard to justify the time investment. They usually give very sound advice too. To hear a selection a shop is your best bet.

27. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hmm. I wonder how like for like a demo might be though ?

I guess I could visit a vendor , with my amp and L/R speakers with my speaker cable and say can I test the X Y or Z please ..

28. Mr X

Mr X
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,640
    I'll just pitch in with a recommendation not to dismiss modern wall mounts without a demo.

Long story but I was in a very similar situ with The Mrs a few years ago, ended up demoing some artcoustics. In short Mrs fell in love with them not just the looks but the sound too. She still keeps going on at me about getting some in the lounge!

Granted they are in a dedicated cinema room (link is in my sig if you want to view) but sound is amazing. I use for both music and movies.

Prior to that I was a B&W floor stander fan. I did crave some PMCs but would never have go the go ahead for those!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    A Demo/Comparison is always tricky - as it can be with any Speaker knowing how they work in one space will differ to how they work in another space.

Artcoustic do have a very high quality demo room if you can travel!

In terms of a home trial that does get tricky with 'installed' systems.

Joe

30. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,096
    Similar to MrX above as I previously owned PMC TB2+ speakers, but I couldn't locate them ideally to get the bet from them (especially the centre which was too close to the floor and boomed). I had a two week home demo of MK MP150 on wall speakers (after a long demo at Gecko HQ before that).

While they don't give the bass of the PMCs that is largely irrelevant in my set up since I have 2 x 15" DIY subs (one tastefully disguised as an oak table). Together with the subs I get a fantastic sound with great imaging (I had to run with a phantom centre while I saved up another grand for the third MP150 for the centre position and nearly didn't bother as it sounded so good).

Difference with the OP is that it was me that wanted the change (the OH was fine with it as it was); I just don't like seeing any AV gear on show, especially obvious Oak boxes like my old PMCs. The black on walls look near invisible on a dark brown wall, but next year I'm going further and every speaker (7.4.4 Atmos set up) will be hidden. The AV rack is already out of the room and under the stairs (bonus is no LEDs to light up my projector screen during fades).