Wife friendly 5.1 to replace B&W CM series...

mike79

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I sold my KEF T305 speakers and bought the B&W CM series CM5 front, CM1 rear, CM centre and a REL T7 sub. I later also sold the T301 speakers form the family room in place of a sound bar.

We are about to redecorate the lounge and the CM series are going to go - looking to change to something less obtrusive. Wishing I’d never sold the KEF setup.

I think my REL sub will remain, so only require the 5 satellites. KEF are a contender again (given the price I let mine go for I’m loath to pay full price for a set!), as are B&W M1. Seeing Focal Dome getting good reviews, as are Anthony Galo.

Really, these are for tv and movies. It’s not a music room.

The room is a terrible layout (attached). Tv mounted on the wall shown roughly in red. Sofa is directly in front of it back up against the chimney breast, so approx 3m to the screen.

Any thoughts / suggestions / recommendations?

A22B8F07-93DE-4D7C-A9DB-0336BC239CEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Shame to hear you have to downsize/downgrade. I guess in-wall speakers are out too. There isn`t anything as ultrathin as T-serie from Kef. Below is few options that comes to mind. You didn´t mention budget so..

M1s, Kef Eggs 2nd hand, i think the table stand turns and works as wall bracket:

MA Radius 90 + 200 or 3x 225 (LCR). For "rears" the 90 model.

Q Acoustics 7000i:

Monitor Audio Soundframe:

M&K M70 (x3 for LCR) + M50 for surround channels.

Dali Oberon On-Wall (not sure if they sell you third one as single though):

Dali Opticon LCR (x3 for LCR), you can use cheaper models for effect channels. This would be similar level to B&Ws and now on sale cause mk2 model just came out.

ATC HTS7 and HTS7C:

Arendal 1961 Monitor + Centre + bookshelf for surrounds (15cm depth and keyholes at rear for wall mounting):

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks - that’s a really thorough answer. Lots of options to look into 👍

Thanks for info provided... I’ve gone with the B&W M1 Mk2. I tend to overthink these things so just pulled the trigger.

Thanks for info provided... I’ve gone with the B&W M1 Mk2. I tend to overthink these things so just pulled the trigger.
How do you get on with the M1’s?

Picking mine up next week to go in the bedroom, think they look “Wife friendly” enough 🤠

Not sure of your budget but the Rubicon LCR should be an upgrade .You can get them for around £700 each. Finish off with a pair of Oberon on wall at £425 or less for the pair. If you buy all the speakers from the same dealer its worth asking if they do any package deals for the set of speakers. I must say the grilles are impressive and the material used wouldn't look out of place in an expensive designer clothing shop.

Hi, I'm in a similar position where discrete or slim is the in word with the missus. Looking for flat speakers for front three and then discrete or flat for side and rear surrounds. Have a budget if about £4500 but that needs to include a subwoofer (or two) and the avr (need 7.1.4) so all in all a very tight budget... room about 4m x 5m options?

Hi, I'm in a similar position where discrete or slim is the in word with the missus. Looking for flat speakers for front three and then discrete or flat for side and rear surrounds. Have a budget if about £4500 but that needs to include a subwoofer (or two) and the avr (need 7.1.4) so all in all a very tight budget... room about 4m x 5m options?
Does the subwoofer need to be wife friendly?

If so, then a bk mono plus in a wood finish might be a nice piece of furniture.

Let`s throw example. Dali Opticon LCR for front three. And Dali Oberon On-Wall for surround channels as they are cheaper and will suit fine for effect channels.

For receiver Denon X4700H or Marantz SR7015 and if you need to go 7.2.4 then you will just add 2ch poweramp later as both have 11.2 processing (9 internal amps so can do 5.2.4/7.2.2 out of box).

3796£ total list prices without discounts (5.0 + receiver).

You would need to first go listen Dali Opticon mk2s to any local store to get idea of the Dali sound. If warming up then you could send email or better yet call to Peter Tyson and ask "bundle deal" including 5-7 speakers and av-receiver. You will get better price than you see these list prices.

Depending how much that leaves you i would look subwoofer. You should at least have 500£, but preferably more depending of few things. No mention of room size, big or small sub (ported/sealed) etc. You should make your own new thread with more information.

Not sure if slim enough? Here is the earlier gen Opticon LCR which has same dimensions. You can use third identical as center channel, the dual tweeter will turned then if you keep the speaker horizontally.

img-0035_868635.jpg

img-0047_868636.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom