1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wierd print effects after xp installation?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by danny-p, Jun 22, 2004.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I've just installed my authentic windows XP home and now when i print any pictures/photo's then i get these strange washed out verticle stripes roughly a third of the way across the a4 print.
    When i print A4 text then all is printed fine and crystal clear but when i return to print a jpeg/picture then it will print a fifth fine then it has a verticle washed out (as if its low on ink) error then it prints a third of it perfect then another washed out blurry verticle stripe then the rest of the pic is printed fine.
    I've installed the printer correctly, i've went to the printers properties and installed the xp driver correctly and its just as bad? :confused:
    I've been through the very unhelpful troubleshooter with no luck.
    I've even searched the net via google for xp driver updates and i've been informed that no such driver exists for my printer....
    It must be a fault/conflict with xp as it worked 100% perfect an hour earlier on win 98...

My printer is a HP Deskjet 880c and my xp home is the most up to date version out.
    Thanks for any help in advance

Danny

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Did you install XP over the top of 98 or did you wipe the HDD and do a fresh install?
    I have heard of loads of driver conflicts and problems with XP upgrades. In my experience you are far better just formatting the HDD (to NTFS instead of 98's FAT32) and doing a clean install of XP with no old 98 drivers being left behind to complicate things.

Mark.

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    give this a try, as the 'correct' drivers aren't usually required, and often cause problems..

If you've got an 880C, try either the 550C, 660C, or 850C drivers and see if any of them give you good results..

One of then should work OK, I Run 550C drivers on nearly all deskjets at work, as it's a much simpler driver and less prone to nasties..

I use LaserJet4 for all HP lasers for the same reason..

4. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea i did a full Fdisk and deleated primary partitians and fault still present.

5. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Lebowski,
    I've tried all the drivers you mentionrd and none of them made any difference which is even more wierd??
    Its as if someone has poured a cup of water over a third of the newly printed photo.... :confused:

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    starting to sound more like a hardware problem... could just be a coincedence that it cropped up at the same time as installing XP (stranger things have happened).

If you've got a few pennies spare, a new printer cable might be worth a try..
    Should only cost a couple of quid.

7. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of chance i installed the printer on my other win 98 pc and it worked fine...Printed pictures perfect :confused:
    Was thinking of Epsom stylus colour 640 on my main computer instead...So it looks like its definately not liking the xp home for some reason?

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Wierd... I've definitely seen 880's running on XP..

I'm out of ideas !! :rolleyes:

9. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks anyway