1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wierd plasma phenomenon

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr.D, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Just fired up my nearly new panny 37PW5.
    Running it through my HTPC. (856x480 at 60Hz)

Seems to be 1:1 with a bit of positional adjustment using test pattern.

Set the black and whitepoints via Avia: nice to see the RB high and low controls in the advanced menu for when I get me mitts on the works color analyser for greyscale.

I see a weird thing.
    Move my eyes over the picture and I see magenta and green streaks ( a lot like dlp rainbow but tertiary rather than primary colors).
    I also saw something very similar at the event II when watching the CRT projectors.

Now I 've been staring at a 22" CRT monitor doing film compositing all day so my eyes might be a bit tired but my question is...

Is this a known phenomenon ( I'll check the svideo input on the plasma for comparisson) or is it me?

...just checked the svideo : same deal ( and a lot softer than the PC as expected).

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Keith

No, it's not just you!

You will also notice a slight yellow(ish) trial after a white section pans etc.

This must be due to phosphur persistance on both the CRT PJs and Plasmas.

As you know, PC monitors use short persistance phosphur to allow high refresh rates etc.

I have posted about this in the past (crt forum), but some people seemed to think it doesn't exist!(and said so!!!)

Since it's only a very rare occurance, and seemed to lesson after the first couple of hundred hours. I haven't given it a second thought.

Are you sat very close to the screen?
    And have you got contrast set fairly high?

See how you go when you screen has settled in a little.

(plasma losing a 10-20% of brightness in first few hundred hours or something etc)

Paul;)

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Brightness and contrast were set using Avia . The contrast is tricky because the set doesn't threshold even with the contrast to to the max but its down somewhere around the 0 mark. ( I'll try the snell and wilcox zoneplate off VE its quite handyfor setting contrast)

I've never been all that impressed with plasma to be honest and this set still doesn't really cut it for me specifically with regard to posterisation. The deinterlacer is pretty ropey too. If it wan't going into a fairly restricted space I wouldn't have bought it to be honest.

Having also seen the 6 series in action I'd describe it as marginally better but only with regard to the deinterlacing. The posterisation is still a problem.

Glad I didn't pay full whack for this thing.
    I'd rather watch my AE100 to be honest

4. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this on my Pio 434 and my Barco CRT.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Keith,

There are better controls in the service menu for greyscale. They work on a per signal type and scan rate basis. The user control is an offset from the hidden service menu settings.

Email me for method to get in.

Gordon