Wierd Dscaler type question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by andyatkins, Aug 11, 2004.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Panny TH-42PHD6 am awaiting for installation.

At this stage my only reservation is the oblong pixels (1024x768 native resolution). Clearly it's ok for wathcing tv / dvd but as I;ve seen on other panels at work, deiplaying a PC desktop will result in a stretched image - the PC is expecting squae pixels & a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Is there any way I could look at using Dscaler or even an external scaler to effectively 'compress 'the 4:3 1024x768 PC image look correct at the plasma's 1024x768 16:9 format?

Oram I talking b*******s?

Thanks for your help

2. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert, but have you tried Powerstrip? This allows you to set up custom resolutions and rerfesh rates on your PC. You should easily be able to set up the require resolution using this.

Nick

3. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Played with Powerstrip on my laptop to see if it may have the answer but it seems to only work entirely on the assumption the display has square pixels. If I enter a custoemr display rez of 1024x768 & click on 16:9 aspecpt ratio it changes the rez to 1366x768.

Any one else offer any help please?

4. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I use a 16:9 ratio with Powerstrip, but I just define the res. I don't touch the 16:9 button. Try just setting the res. you want and the refresh rate you want and savign the custome resolution as a shortcut on your Desktop. If you have powerstrip set to start when you boot the PC the resolution you defined will automatically be set (even without a desktop short cut). It's a while since I played with PS but as far as I know you can define any resolution as long as your display device can accept it.

I think the 16:9 button is just there if you have a display that has a 16:9 ratio but you don't have to use it. I also think Dscaler will let you change resolutions using powerstrip, not sure where the menu for doign this is though, btu I have definately seen it.

Just thought, the 16:9 button just works out the Horizontal resolution for a given Vertical, just don't click it and things should work ok.

Nick