Widows Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,487
      • Thanks Thanks x 6
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +967
      Thanks for the review, Cas. Widows was quite a thing in it's original form and Ann Mitchel suited the lead all to well; as a frighteningly driven woman that would do whatever she felt necessary, but all too often left the viewer thinking, that was unnecessary!
      I've only seen the testing Shame and have no intention of watching the other two but this I'll definitely give a go. I've liked Viola Davis since first seeing her in the Tom Selleck Jesse Stone TV Movies.
      This should at least be a strong female outing not just for the sake of it, as some material has felt of late, and in McQueen's hands should be something genuinely special and real feeling.

3. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,759
      Really liked Shame so will definitely give this a go, especially after this review.

4. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +384
      Saw Widows last night, some great performances.. but in particular I really liked Daniel Kaluuya. He was menacing but believable, he has all of a sudden popped up as a very good actor in the last year or so.

Movie itself dragged in places and there are some obvious absolute nods towards how the director obviously feels about the current state of America. Which was a bit of an eye roll moment.

There was also some great twists throughout which I won't spoil here but overall an okay movie, those twists in particular making the movie better.

7/10.

5. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,495
      Thanks Cas,
      Added to the list.
      McQueen is a fantastic director / artist
      Hungar whilst disturbing is really worth a watch although it’s certainly his most artistic work.
      The Town (great film) equivalent with McQueen in charge sounds right up my street.

6. jock1

jock1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      Seen yesterday really enjoyed , i take in comments thought this was a better movie than Oceans 8. Did drag a bit but some great performance's from cast
      Def 8/10

7. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +384
      The Town is a great movie, and one that I feel is a bit underrated. Although I wouldn't compare Widows to that movie as Widows is a lot slower and doesn't have the action that The Town does in parts.

I would say to anyone thinking about seeing Widows do not go in expecting The Town, as personally I feel they are very different movies, with only a "heist" in common, even those moments are completely different in their respective films. Not exactly saying that the Widows one is weaker, just different to match its tone of film.

8. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,495
      Agree, The Town is underrated (I had actually drafted that in my above response and then removed it :) ). Both Affleck and Clooney are impressive behind the camera. I hope we see more of their work after a few box office bombs.

9. dowzer

dowzer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +241
      If this is better than Oceans 8 I think I'll pass on the latter. Really couldn't give this better than a 6 maybe even a 5. Mostly average performances and just couldn't get into it. Didn't see the twist coming tbh but it didn't elevate the movie in any way for me. But clearly others will enjoy it much more than I did.