Widows 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

D

Deleted member 795353

I wasn't particularly interested in watching this film before. Unfortunately it looks like you have added another onto the pile of films I want to watch.

Thanks.......I think ;)

encaser

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review, Cas.
Taken at face value it is good. But for me a little long on certain aspects like the romanticized dream sequences and light on others like building the women's friendships and The Wire type political angle.
I don't think you can compare the TV version with the movie in any kind of fair manner. Although, to the TV version's credit, I found Dolly far more imposing and convincing than movie counterpart Veronica.

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas, i have this film to look forward to, tonight.

Monkey303

I found this way too drawn out in places. It started off well and had good potential, but it lost my interest about 45 minutes in. Dull.

TarPot

Thanks for the review. I totally agree, a solid 8.

MacrosTheBlack

I think Windows 10 is terrible. 4/10 for me ;):D

Should of gone to specsavers....

Last edited:

IGC

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the excellent review.

Loved the film from a director who can do no wrong. Fantastic cast too.

Not sure what Amazon are smoking as it was listed @ £39.99 until this morning where it's now £24.99.

I'm in when it's £14 so will be looking out for a US copy.

4uuLpae.jpg

yMH3DIA.jpg

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The US Blu-ray is Region A locked

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
I've just finished watching it and enjoyed it. :thumbsup:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
What is the blu ray audio soundtrack? Contemplating whether to go UHD or blu on this one.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
What is the blu ray audio soundtrack? Contemplating whether to go UHD or blu on this one.

DTS MA 7.1 on the blu.

I watched the UHD and the Atmos is very good but I don’t think it’s worth the extra £10 over the standard release.

simonlewis

Distinguished Member

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Oscar-winning indie filmmaker Steve McQueen's most commercial project is a superior remake of the 80s Lynda La Plante TV series.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one Cas.

The TV series was original, groundbreaking even, with a strong, original plot and a great cast.
The film is a charmless yawnfest. Plenty of good actors in it but they're absolutely wasted in this.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Thought this was ok, made me want The Town though. Definitely not up to that standard. 6.5/10 for me.

t bone

For me also found it dull can't help comparing it to the tv version which way better for me had to much of that hollywood gloss should have kept it all british like the original which was much more believable. 5/10

derekhansen

I love McQueens filmmaking. Although I do concede some scenes were a little drawn out. Great performances all round. Loved the soundtrack.
7/10

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Finally got round to watching this, not sure why I took so long as I love Steve’s previous 3 films.
I went in with slightly lower expectations, not sure why, had a feeling this was going to let me down - it didn’t.

Cast are fantastic, moving performances helped with a great script. No one lets the team down, but what can you say about Viola Davis, amazing, what an on screen presence.

I was really impressed with his direction and his cinematographer deserves a lot of credit. Some beautiful tracking crane dolly shots, reminds me of earlier De Palma films, some inventive of centre shots, a certain bonnet cam ignoring the actors and then kicking in as if the camera was never fixed to the bonnet brought a big smile to may face. Like Hunger, gorgeous colour pallet, focus on facial emotions.
Yes, I maybe enjoyed the technical production as much/more than the film.

Hans creates a lovely score, I didn’t realise he worked on this project but afterward when I saw his credit it all made sense as it felt like a friend all along. Beautiful end credits song by Sade too.

Solid 8/10 for me, maybe more, will give it another watch later this week

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Finally got round to watching this, not sure why I took so long as I love Steve’s previous 3 films.
I went in with slightly lower expectations, not sure why, had a feeling this was going to let me down - it didn’t.

Cast are fantastic, moving performances helped with a great script. No one lets the team down, but what can you say about Viola Davis, amazing, what an on screen presence.

I was really impressed with his direction and his cinematographer deserves a lot of credit. Some beautiful tracking crane dolly shots, reminds me of earlier De Palma films, some inventive of centre shots, a certain bonnet cam ignoring the actors and then kicking in as if the camera was never fixed to the bonnet brought a big smile to may face. Like Hunger, gorgeous colour pallet, focus on facial emotions.
Yes, I maybe enjoyed the technical production as much/more than the film.

Hans creates a lovely score, I didn’t realise he worked on this project but afterward when I saw his credit it all made sense as it felt like a friend all along. Beautiful end credits song by Sade too.

Solid 8/10 for me, maybe more, will give it another watch later this week

Ta for the review - maybe post it (and others!) in the review thread on the Blu-ray page though? More reviews the better!

D

Deleted member 795353

Lynda La Plante couldn't have done it better herself. Excellent story. Very nice filmic picture quality and the sound track explodes in to action when it needs to.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom