1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Worries

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by PanMan, Jan 17, 2002.

1. PanMan

PanMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear All,

I am considering the purchase of my first camcorder, probably the Panasonic NV-DS28, with a view to editing the results on a PC. I have a widescreen telly with which I will view the footage, so I would really like a camcorder that is best suited for that. I know the DS38 has a 'widescreen' option on it, but does the DS28? Does it just record two big black strips at top and bottom, and will I therefore be loosing quality when my telly effectively magnifies the picture?

I would also like to output the footage to VCD, and eventually DVD when the hardware is a little cheaper. Is it possible to film in 4:3, and then reformat it to 16:9 on the computer software. Would Pinnacle 7 or Ulead 4/5 do this?

So many questions....can anyone help?:confused:

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony camcorder of about 4 years has a 4:3 mode, letterbox mode and an anamorphic 16:9 mode.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an anamorphic mode on many of them nowadays.