Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Widescreen Worries

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by PanMan, Jan 17, 2002.

1. PanMan

PanMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear All,

I am considering the purchase of my first camcorder, probably the Panasonic NV-DS28, with a view to editing the results on a PC. I have a widescreen telly with which I will view the footage, so I would really like a camcorder that is best suited for that. I know the DS38 has a 'widescreen' option on it, but does the DS28? Does it just record two big black strips at top and bottom, and will I therefore be loosing quality when my telly effectively magnifies the picture?

I would also like to output the footage to VCD, and eventually DVD when the hardware is a little cheaper. Is it possible to film in 4:3, and then reformat it to 16:9 on the computer software. Would Pinnacle 7 or Ulead 4/5 do this?

So many questions....can anyone help?:confused:

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony camcorder of about 4 years has a 4:3 mode, letterbox mode and an anamorphic 16:9 mode.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an anamorphic mode on many of them nowadays.