Widescreen Woes.....

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Adele, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be really grateful for some advice please.

I've been looking for a compact Nicam, 32" widescreen for ages now and had thought about getting on the Tosh32ZP18, but my other half hates the look of it (plus I really don't need the surround sound), so that's off the list now.

Are there any compact alternatives to the Tosh? The 32" Panasonic PG30 (77.7cm wide) would have been ideal, but I just can't seem to find them in the shops now - I don't think the new Panasonics are as small.

My main requirements are:

32" CRT
    Compact (less than 80cm wide)
    Nicam Stereo - not surround.
    2 RGB Scarts (or one RGB plus component)

Please help - I'm really getting ready to chuck in the whole idea of buying a widescreen TV.

Apologies for repeating my question, but my last thread died a death - maybe I'm just looking for a product that doesn't exist?

Cheers,
    Adele.

2. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I believe sadly this may be the case, shameful I know that there isnt a choice of sets that meet this criteria ... sub 80cm wide 32" is only found on the 32zp18, the next best I found is the panasonic 32pl10(or 1, 4, pg50). You're also stuck RGB wise, only toshiba carry the component inputs on a scart (so its zp or titanic sized), and none of the other reasonably sized units have 2 rgb scarts, at best 1 rgb and 1 s-vid only (this, i'm sure, is old news to you :( ). The pg30, as you say, is discontinued and had terrible display problems too from memory (try searching the forum since the year dot :) ).

sorry ... no use :( 28" land it is (booo hoo)

Duncan

3. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Duncan,

Sadly I suspected as much, so will now start my search for a widescreen TV all over again, but for a 28" this time!

It's a real shame that more manufacturers haven't cottoned on to the fact that compact CRT TV's are an attractive purchase and that we don't all have massive rooms in which to put monster TV's.

Oh well......time to look at some 28" models.

Adele.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be wary that 28" do look very small once you get them in the home. If you don't like the stretch and crop mode, then 4:3 can be quite a bit smaller than the set you possibly already have.

5. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only got a 21" Sony 4:3 just now (5 years old, but stunning picture on RGB!), so hopefully 28" widescreen won't look TOO small (though I would have loved to get 32" - just not enough space!)

I'm having to put up with a really tiny widecreen picture at the moment, so I think anything bigger's going to be a bonus!

Any great 28" Nicams out there around the £800 mark with 2 RGB sockets (or 1 RGB & 1 component input)? Sound doesn't have to be great, but looking for excellent picture quality.

Has to be a good looking model too as my other half's already discounted the 32ZP18 as he thinks it looks ugly! He liked the look of the Panny PB50 (but it has surround which ain't needed!)

Cheers.
    Adele.