Widescreen WMV Playback

L

Larkin78

Has anyone noticed that playing back wmv files in a letterbox format doesn't work in widescreen? The xbox 360 treats the source as standard 4:3 and centers it (so there are black bars at the top and bottom and each side!).

This is for a dvd backup, playing the dvd it of course use the entire width. Is this a bug that will need a dash update or is it just being ripped wrong?

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
yep i converted a vid into 16:9 it took like 2hours then when i tried it on the 360 i had it with a black box around it so i reconverted it to 4:3

L

Larkin78

Actually two hours is pretty quick if this is a full movie! So it worked when you converted to 4:3 (i.e. played back okay on a widescreen plasma with being 'boxed' in)?

cyberheater

You have to remember that the 360 can only decode square pixels. It does not understand wide pixels.

So to convert PAL DVD movies which are 720 x 576, you need set the target resolution to 1024 x 576 which is square pixel format.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom