1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen TV help !!!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by marra, Jul 15, 2003.

1. marra

marra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi hope you can help ...... I'm looking for a 28" widescreen TV, does anybody have any suggestions on a make, model and supplier. Don't really want to spend too much dosh.

Hope someone can help ....... Kirst :p

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A lot depends on how little you want to spend. I think the cheapest prices you will find tend to be in places like Asda. They stock 28" widescreen tv's from brands such as Sharp, and charge very low prices.

If you want to spend a bit more, and want better quality, you can get 28" sets from Toshiba, JVC and Philips in the sub £350 bracket from various dealers online (try here).

At the more expensive end of the lower cost 28" sets, is the Sony kv28LS36. It costs in the region of £400-£450 (depending on which dealer you try) but is a really good tv within it's class.

Once you've narrowed down your selection, post again with your choices, and I'll let you know what I think your best options are.

Hope this helps (a bit),

Bob.

3. marra

marra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I am still looking, but have narrowed it down to a few selections :-

JVC AV28GT1B
    JVC AV28T25S
    TOSHIBA 28Z23B
    PHILIPS 28PW6006C
    PHILIPS 28PW6517C
    SHARP 28JW73H

Any idea which would be would be best value ?

Regards

Kirst :)

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Of the tv's that you mention, I would have said that the JVC's were well worth looking at. I have often seen these in my local John Lewis, and been quite impressed with them.

However, there's been some postings on this forum recently regarding some problems regarding a slight tilt in the picture, and also the picture seems too dark when viewed through RGB (click here).

I'm not too familiar with the Philips and Toshiba sets, although from what I've seen of them, they seem quite evenly matched, and I would rate them both higher than the Sharp.

If you have a look around this forum, you'll probably be quite shocked at how common faults have become on modern tv's (I know I was when I first started looking at this forum).

Ironically, the problems seem to be most common on the more expensive sets, probably due to the amount of picture processing (pixel plus, DRC, DIST, etc.) that most top range tv's feature, but the simpler, cheaper tv's can also have their share of problems.

If you intend to buy from the internet, it would be best if you could find some of the tv's on your shortlist in a local store, where you could get a better idea of whether or not a particular set still appeals to you when you can see it first hand.

Also, make sure that you end up buying from a dealer who will have no problem letting you change any set you are unhappy with, as it can often be the case that problems you don't initially notice can look quite obvious when you have the set in your living room.

Good luck,

Bob.