1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen TV advice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by timculverhouse, Dec 1, 2004.

1. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

At last! The wife has finally agreed that we should replace our existing TV with a widescreen one and we have now set a budget which we are both happy with. Ahh! now the hard bit, what TV do we actually get.

We cannot afford a Plasma or LCD television and frankly I don't think we watch enough sports or films to make it worthwhile.

We have historically bought Sony products, I trust the brand name and as most of our equipment is Sony we tend to guarantee that it'll all link together (even if most of the time we don't realise that!). However, we are both open to suggestion to other brand names as long as they are reputable.

Ideally we would be happy to spend around £600 to £650 and would ideally like a VCR in the package as the hamsters are getting near retirement in our existing one and it needs sending to the scrapheap in the sky. We don't require a DVD player or system as we bought a surround sound system recently which links to the TV via a normal scart lead. However, if the best package included a DVD player I'm sure we could give this to someone.

I think we'd ideally like a 32" screen and I heard someone saying something regarding 100Hz being better than 50Hz but when I asked him he didn't have any answers for me. I don't know what other information you guys need to know about the requirements but I'll do my best to answer any questions asap.

Again, I think AV Forums is a brilliant site and I love the fact that people are willing to take time out of their day to help others. Hope everyone has a great chrismas and a happy new year.

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards
    Tim

2. ventoboy1000

ventoboy1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and welcome to the forums.
    I too tend to buy Sony products.
    The KV32CS70 is a 32 " 100hz widescreen tv at a reasonable price and unbeatable are selling it as part of a package deal.
    Just follow this link
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_20481.html
    Hope this helps

3. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a look at the TV on the unbeatable website and like the look of it a lot. Have you ever purchased anything from unbeatable, are they reliable for delivery?

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have used them a couple of times. I have found them excellent - and flexible on deals, ie if you want to buy more than the tv put together your own package and suggest a price to them. If you live near to Crawley you can pick the goods up and save on P&P. Regards, yt.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I personally found Unbeatables customer service to be poor when I bought some items from them.

As I was mail ordering from them for the first time they did the usual extra checks against my credit card - ie that the delivery address was indeed where I lived but as I had only just moved to the property the checks failed.

I contacted them when they still hadn't given me a delivery date and was told of the problems, I queried why they hadnt bothered to contact me and was told "I can see we emailed you on 2 occasions to tell you". Knowing I hadn't given them my email address (I had ordered by phone) I challenged this again and they then claimed to have phoned me twice instead - though on different dates to what they said they had emailed me on.

I spoke to my credit card company - which also happen to supply the address verification solution that unbeatable use - and they advised that no request had been received from Unbeatable.

Going back to Unbeatable for a second time I spoke to a manager and finally got to the bottom of the problem - they had missed a digit off my card number (though they originally claimed they had deleted my card number off their system for my security).

Finally got the order to go through correctly and was given a number of delivery date options which were fairly short and the item turned up exactly when they said it would.

Thankfully nothing has gone wrong with the items I have had from them and so I havent had to test their post-sales customer service levels.

Whilst there are exceptions, if you are paying a very low price for an item you will generally get poor customer service in my experience - it comes down to which do you consider most important, price or service