1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen to the uninitiated

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mrprelude, Mar 9, 2002.

1. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently rent a very nice 32" Panny widescreen and love it. I have had widescreen for nearly three years now and would recommend it to everyone. But some peoples attitudes toward the format, really do my head in.
    A friend was recently in the market for a new telly. He had seen mine and was quite impressed. I explained to him all the benefits of w/s and I thought I had convinced him.
    Next time I go round to see him, what is standing in the corner?
    A bloody new 4:3.
    "Oh, widescreens don't look right to me", was his reply upon questioning.
    My mothers partner promised to buy her a new w/s for her birthday. They went looking in the local shops and Mother ended up coming home with a new 4:3.
    "Oh, widescreens don't look right to me", was her reply too.
    What upset me most about my mothers statement was that she had been round to see me a few times and was obviously so impressed that she didn't even notice it was a w/s until I pointed it out to her.
    I regularly frequent my local Currys & Dixons et al, and it amazes me how often I overhear couples discussing their views on the w/s tellys and they all seem to say roughly the same sort of things.
    "Oh, widescreens don't look right to me".
    The thing is, most of us go to the cinema these days or have at least been to a cinema in their lifetimes solely for the experience of watching the entertainment on a "large wide screen". But you never hear people complain about that, do you? In fact, I would suspect that people would complain if it wasn't presented on a wide screen. Imagine going to the cinema and seeing a movie on a virtually square screen. You'd be gutted.
    I must admit that when I first took possesion of my w/s it did take a couple of days to get used to watching the wider image, but now I could never go back to 4:3.
    What's the matter with people?
    You can all see what part of the country I live and I was just wondering if the problem occurs elsewhere on our small (minded) island?

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the biggest problem is that when they go into Dixons etc, the feeds are all analogue 4:3/14:9 pictures stretched and cropped to fit the screen and this doesn't look right.

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Problem is with retailers (Currys, Dixons etc...) who never display these TV correctly.

How many time have you walked into one of these stores to see a horid 4:3 image scretched to fit a 16:9 screen?

Why don't they either pump a widescreen image from Digital TV or a DVD through them? That way people can really see the quality of a widescreen over a normal 4:3 set.

Funny thing is, once more and more output is shown in widescreen the people who are buying 4:3 TV just now are going to be left behind with squashed images on their TV's and all us telling them "I told you to get a widescreen set!"

4. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. I agree.
    I was going to mention that in my original script but couldn't be arsed to write anymore at the time.
    The other thing is that I don't think they set the tellys to the right aspect ratios, so most of the time it's like watching a programme through a fish bowl.
    If the pay was right, I'd really plug for a job in a shop like those mentioned because I feel I could bring their sales right up just by knowing what the f*%k I was talking about. Unlike most of the assistants in shops who seem to automatically presume that everyone has zero knowledge of the products the want. Don't they know that some people do read all those Home Cinema mags in the shops these days. They're not there just to fill the shelves.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,514
    Had a W/S 7years now, always into W/S versions of films.
    Daft thing is people still go out and buy new 4:3 TV even today then complain that they are being gypped when a W/S program/film is on.
    We see the world in a widescreen mode not box shaped, 4:3 is more what a person with one eye would view.

6. hellogr1

hellogr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm going to buy a w/s and I'm very excited with the idea.But I know that this suites me because I'm a film freak and I want the viewing of a film in the home to be perfect.Other people they just want a 4:3 old style tv to fit their little minds in it as the have been taught(kidding!).On the other hand all the new w/d tv sets have the option to sqeeze the picture of 16:9 to 4:3.I want to ask how is the viewing of this change?Is like a normal 4:3 tv with grey bars right and left or is paramorphed and it seems wrong?I don't like either to see normal tv channels in 16:9 size.I know that it's something that you can used to but I know that it's not the way intend it to be so I prefer the normal size of any viewing product.So ...how is the change?
    Thank you very much

7. SlimBoyFat

SlimBoyFat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think by reading 99% of the threads on this forum, it is enough to put most people off buying a widescreen televison. I am perfectly happy with my 29 inch Sony NON-widescreen television and I have a reasonable idea of what is what.

Think of Mr & Mrs average who go along to purchase a television. If they goto Curry's/Dixons they are not going to be too knowledgable about Home Cinema. I doubt they give a toss about Anamorphic Widescreen, component inputs etc... They want a television that is easy to use, has a good picture and can let little Johnny rig up his Playstation. Most widescreen televisions have a nightmare amount of options which turns the average punter off. Just look at some of the messages in this thread.

I came to this forum as I was thinking of upgrading my television, but I think I will stick with what I have got.

8. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not much choice now in large 4:3 tv's, mainly 21" or less. Most top of the range brands have stopped making 4:3 sets altogether. If you read the instruction manual with your new widescreen tv and use a digital input with auto widescreen switching you should seldom need to use the manual control. The best way to watch widescreen is to view 4:3 programmes as 4:3 and widescreen in either 16:9 (default anamorhic mode) or 'cinema' mode. 'Cinema' is best selected for non-anamorphic widescreen programming usually found on analogue broadcasts.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,514
    There is a letter on the Teletext TV letter page today, some woman is complaining on these lines "Why do they keep putting widescreen films on, I have a large screen but the size of it is so small they giving me an headache."

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My parents have a W/S tv, my mother-in-law has one as well, all 3 in 60s

I've solved the source problem - IDTV!

11. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I believe Curry's are starting to use their own advertising channel in superstores for all the t.v's. This makes it easier to compare models, although it seems to be the same adverts being repeated!

12. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When I told my parents that I had got a new WS set the response was 'but they make everyone look fat'. This was because my cousin had gone out and brought a WS when they first came out and insists on running everything wide, even though he has NO digital source!
    When he saw my set showing a 4:3 dvd, his responce was 'your tellys crap, it can't fill the screen'. A quick showwing of Shrek and BBC1 from Sky soon shut him up.:D

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    A colleague of mine says he'll never buy a WS TV because "everyone looks fat and the picture stretched" !!

sigh :(

14. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheer up. Despite public resistance and broadcasters' (Sky) stubborness, one day all analogue broadcasts will cease and everything will be broadcast in widescreen. If by this time we're all still alive (50/50 on this one I reckon), we can be all smarmy with our 'Told you so...' attitude.

15. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please, please don't be put off by w/s. They're not that complex, really.
    The only thing they have different to new 4:3 tv's is that they have an aspect ratio button as well as all the usual ones.
    Now, that's not to difficult to get your head round is it?