1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen switching signal on plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cybersoga, Mar 31, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Do widescreen switching signals work with plasma/lcd screens that don't have scart inputs, such as an NEC LCD3000 and the JS rgb scart to D-Sub box? Or will I have to use the remote control to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic every five mins when watching digital television?

2. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Something i'd like to know too, i like my pin 8 switching...

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Unfortunatley, VGA inputs in plasma screens don't support widescreen switching. As such, widescreen switching isn't support by the RGB to Plasma VGA unit :(

To be honest, it's not something that you really want with such a screen. Mostly you want the picture to fill the entire screen, so you use various zoom mode to get a 4:3 image to fill the entire screen. If you were to use an auto aspect switcher, it would give you large bars down the sides, not ideal.

I'm using a combination of zoom modes on my screen, but never 4:3.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    wide screen switching is one of those things you get terribly worked up about before you get a plasma, coming from a nice cosy sky / scart / crt auto switching environment. But, take my word, it really isn't an issue once you get a plasma.. the size and impact of the picture more than compensates. if you watch the main sky channels anyway, most of the decent stuff is 16.9 and even sky has belately got round to transferring its box office, movie channels and sky one to 16.9. I'm sure in time more and more channels will become 16.9, and if one programme really bothers you, switch it manually

5. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Euuuu, what is this, Currys? ;)

6. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you want WSS, the Pioneer HDE supports it. You can also set which screen mode to automaticaly switch a 4:3 picture to.

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No, I speak from experience!

Of the people that I know personally, those with widescreen TVs prefer to watch 4:3 filling the 16:9 screen. Even if they're a bit distorted! Very rarely is the TV in 4:3 mode. Hence my previous post.

Pin 8 switching will go from 4:3 to 16:9, but you really want to have the 4:3 filling more of the screen than what Pin 8 switching would allow. So for some material, you may want a zoom mode which crops top and bottom - some material on TV has black bands here anyway. Other times you want the full effect, so use the "just" type of mode where the centre is slightly zoomed, but the sides pulled to fill the screen. Pin 8 isn't able to switch to these options.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What about Line 23 WSS ? Could that be made to work with the either your Scart to VGA box or Component output box? and I was wondering, do plasma's/big LCDs use Line 23 WSS with their composite/s-video/component inputs?

9. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Don't most modern 16:9 sets switch between "chosen 4:3/zoom mode" and the 16:9 wide mode (via pin 8 SCART or line 23 WSS or both)?

My Toshiba 16:9 switches back to the chosen 4:3 mode (4:3 SuperLive, Cinema or Subtitle) when it pops out of Wide. Sort of happens automatically, but sometimes gets stuck!

Don't plasmas work this way then?

regards,
    Rob.

10. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Line 23 wss is fantastic idea and will become the standard for all video systems in the future. It's still an emerging standard at the moment, so not all systems will have support for it yet. Disadvantage is that it's also got copyright flags. Like Macrovision, it has parts which are designed to stop people making copies. At the moment, there are no plans to add this to any of my products.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

11. MrNoisy

MrNoisy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry John, but I have a 32" widescreen CRT and I watch all 4:3 material in 4:3 mode! I cannot understand why people watch distorted pictures!

This is my main worry with getting a panny plasma - grey sidebars look so ugly, but I do not want a distorted picture.....

Relating to pin8/WSS signalling:

One solution I may follow is to use a 'control box' to send the appropriate serial commands to the plasma based on Pin 8, so I will at least get 4:3 or 16:9 anamorphic displayed the way I want without having to press anything!

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    MrNoisy,
    once you've got a big screen, you want everything to be just as big! 4:3 images are just too small....

My point is that although you could watch in 4:3 mode, it's not the best for getting the most out of your screen area. You can opt for a zoomed image or one which has the sides pulled out. These really do work well on a plasma screen, but even if it could auto switch it would pick 4:3 rather than one of these special modes. So you're back to switching the picture manually.

All the best,

John.

13. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Personally, I've never felt the need to fill the screen for the sake of it.
    I have a Panny 42 & the 'just' mode is 'just' horrible.
    Do you 'zoom-out' scope films to get rid of black bars as well?

14. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's films on SciFi and programs on UK Horizons which have black bars top and bottom. SciFi is effectively widescreen on a 4:3 image, and that's best watched on "Zoom" otherwise I think it would become a true "letterbox" - an image with black bars top, bottom, left and right! Same too with some music videos. UK Horizons is usually a tad less top and bottom so you're not gaining as much.

As for zooming just for the sake of it, well, I you've got 25% of your screen not used when you've got 4:3. On average, that's a grands worth of plasma doing nothing! My *personal* preference is to fill the whole screen up. DVDs are in widescreen, which is when I really want to take advantage of the screen, so that doesn't bother me.

This thread is about widescreen switching, and I think we should keep on topic. There's several ways that you can switch widescreen:

SCART Pin 8, very common in the UK but not supported by some of the best plasma on the market.

Line 23, an emerging standard which I predict will become the de facto standard for widescreen indication. At the moment some sources will output this, but I'm not aware of any displays that do - that's not to say none do it.

S1/S2 (offset on S-Video), common in Japan I believe. Difficult to say how many sources would output such, my US DVD player does but my UK one doesn't - and they're both from the same manufacturer. Indication does work with the better screens, but is also stripped off by A/V amps etc.

So the one that seems to work best with plasma screens is one which get removed when you connect multiple sources via an A/V amp - as many would do with S-Video.

All the best,

John.

All the best,

John.

15. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My Sony TV can auto switch aspect ratios (anamorphic 16:9, letterbox zoom, 4:3 and even non anamorphic 14:9) using just the s-video mini-din or composite RCA input from my Pace set top box and DVD player, so both must be outputting the appropriate code and the TV must be understanding it, same as when they are connected via scart (I think my TV ignores pin 8 when line23 is present because pin8 can't do 14:9).

Interestingly, Channel 4 on anologue terrestrial transmit the code to make my TV enter Zoom mode when there's a "letterbox" film on, but both the BBC and ITV fail to transmit the 14:9 switching code with 14:9 broadcasts.

I do kinda agree with you tho, most TV that I actually watch is in 16:9 these days, as are most of my DVDs, and it isn't that much hassle to manually change the aspect if I really feel the need... It certainly wouldn't be the factor putting me off buying a big flat screen, but think it still would be nice if it could do it.

16. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic plasmas allow you to choose, via the menu, various shades of grey from very pale through to solid black for the sidebars. I use the darkest grey which looks good. I agree too, I prefer 4:3 pictures with the sidebars.