1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Switching for PW6/7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by TangentKid, Nov 28, 2004.

1. TangentKid

TangentKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Having read many of the threads in this forum on widescreen switching I have got myself more confused than ever!

I plan to upgrade from a Panasonic widescreen CRT to a PW6/7. One feature that I can't bear to be without is the automatic widescreen switching on SCART pin 8. Presumably the only way to activate this on the plasma is to use the SCART board however I've seen posts that imply that the quality of the SCART input is not that great. I presume that SCART is the only way to get RGB from my Sky+ into the screen so I'll be stuck with using it anyway.

The other thing I read was that the Auto setting on the screen is not remembered between turning the screen off and on again. Is this true?

Any suggestions/clarification will be greatly appreciated!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    JS technology RGB>VGA box is another way to get RGBfrom sky into plasma

3. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On my PWD6 scart, I found that the auto setting was lost when I put the screen into standby and it was in its 16:9 auto setting. The screen would power up in 16:9 setting and not auto switch until I selected auto again. However, if it was in 4:3 auto, then it would come back in auto. I didn't pursue this problem because I wasn't entirely happy with the scart picture from my Telewest cable box via TiVo. I bought the RGB to VGA converter and noticed a significant improvement in the picture, though it wasn't a huge difference. Off course, I don't have auto aspect switching any more, but I use my Pronto remote which I have programmed with codes to go to each aspect ratio directly. This means that I can go to 4:3 with a single button press, or 16:9 with a single button press. This is a lot easier than pressing a single button lots of times to get to the desired aspect. However, there is a gadget available that plugs in between the RGB converter and screen and uses the plasma's serial port to change aspect, but this is another £100.

4. TangentKid

TangentKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragin:
    I guess that's a way forward but it still wouldn't give me the WSS.

TeresaTT:
    It was actually your post on another thread that brought up the idea that the SCART input isn't that great. Did you ever find out if it's anything to do with the Tivo/PW6 interaction at fault or just the PW6 SCART being rubbish?
    Manually switching aspect is a no-go for me. My girlfriend flicks from channel to channel and it would infuriate her and me if one of us was constantly manually adjusting the aspect. Do you know if the 'gadget' you mention somehow detects the aspect ratio of the signal or if it uses either SCART Pin 8 or Line 23 WSS.
    I guess my ideal would be to use an RGB > VGA converter but somehow still listen to SCART pin 8. Hmmmm.

5. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The scart picture is acceptable and not what I'd call rubbish, but after reading all of the comments on this forum I just had to try the RGB to VGA converter to see if I could improve on the picture. I had already upgraded the drives on my TiVo and installed TiVoWeb so that I could increase TiVo's bitrate and resolution. I know that I'm getting the best that I can out of TiVo and any degradation in picture quality due to TiVo should be minimal. The picture quality difference between the scart and converter isn't staggering and you may not think it's worth the £100 odd quid. I found the improvement most noticable on a picture that I was already very used to which was the TiVo menu. With the converter, the text was clearer and the colours were better. I can't get two RGB outputs from my TiVo, so I can't do a side by side comparison using PIP.

You can find information about the aspect switcher here:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108539

I too thought that manually setting aspect ratio would drive me bonkers, but with TiVo I don't channel hop so much and watch little live TV. However, my husband and son don't always spot an incorrect aspect and get fed up with me telling them to change it. I still may invest in the aspect switcher, but it is a lot more money on top of the loads I've just spent.

You might be best not bothering with the scart and getting the RGB to VGA converter and an aspect switcher. This will probably cost about £100 more than the scart route, but should keep your girlfriend happier. However, I'm no expert, so make sure you search this forum for as much information as you can about the RGB to VGA converter. I was surprised at how many people are quite happy to spend thousands of pounds on a home cinema set up and then set the aspect permanently to 16:9 and not be bothered by a distorted picture of fat people.