1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WideScreen Switching a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gixer750, May 16, 2002.

1. Gixer750

Gixer750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st post, so here goes.

I have recently purchased a Toshiba 50WH18B Rear projection televesion and have a quick question about Widescreen Switching.

The Set has a menu item called Automatic Format (Widescreen). I think this is the Line 23 Switching. I currently have my Sky Digibox on Scart 1 (RGB), 2 DVD Players (Scart to S-video) into my Yamaha 3090 Amp, Amp to TV (Scart 2 S-Video), etc...

When playing Anamorphic R2 DVD's the TV will switch to Widescreen, and when playing Non-Anamorphic DVD's switch to 4:3. Does anyone know how to override the TV's default Non-Anamorphic pictures from 4:3 to SuperLive (The Picture Stretch one).

The main reason for the Override is not so much for DVD's but more for games consoles. (Just easier to explain in DVD terms) I am trying to find the best way to connect up a PS2 and XBOX.

Since I only have one RBG Socket :mad: , I have been thinking of connecting the Two Consoles up to my amp Via S-Video. Due to some games having different modes for thing like Cut Scenes, it's a real pain to keep manually setting the TV mode back to Superlive. :(
    (e.g. Non anamorphic Game, manually set to Superlive,
    cut scene appears, set goes into Wide,
    cut scene ends set goes into 4:3,
    have to reset to superlive)

I have also been considering connecting the Xbox up to the Component sockets but don't think I get any switching through that at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Swap the cables round!! Green comes before Blue!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

3. Gixer750

Gixer750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Yeah!
    Just noticed that myself but you got there before I could edit it.

Oh well 1st post,
    maybee I shood ave prooof reed it butter first ;)

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Why on earth do you need to use 'Super Live' mode.
    I have a Tosh WS RP TV, like you, use it for DVDs, Digi TV & Games console.

The only settings I have eveber needed are....

Widescreen (anamorphic TV, DVD)
    4:3 (4:3 TV, games)
    Cinema (for non-anamorphic TV, DVD LB material)

You don't need 'Super Live' at all.

Is it really necessary to put the TV into some kind of stretched mode just for a few letter boxed cut scenes on a game :confused:

Surely 50" is more than enough to watch these scenes in 4:3.

5. Gixer750

Gixer750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am probably being a bit overcautious, but I read somewhere about possible burn in, when watching a lot of 4:3 program material on a widescreen TV. The Bars down the Left and Right sides, 'can' cause problems.

Since I am not too bothered about games apearing a little stretched, I would prefer to use the "Super Live" mode.

Due you watch a lot of Sky TV? If so then the majority of Sky Channels are not Anamorphic Widescreen meaning the TV will be in a constant state of 4:3.

It would be nice to be able to set the TV's default non-anamorphic 4:3 mode to "SuperLive". This would be usefull for games as this will fill the entire screen. The only problem that I have is that when I manually select SuperLive, and then a widescreen part of the game happens(Cut Scene etc...), the TV will switch to "Wide" ;) , then when the game come back the TV will revert back to 4:3.:mad:

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I wouldn't worry too much.
    Do you watch ws DVDS?

Games in themselves should give you just as much concern regarding image burn, whether they are filling the screen or not.

No, I don't watch a lot of Sky TV.
    My viewing habits are varied but I would say more often than not, I am watching something in anamorphic ws.

7. Gixer750

Gixer750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kevo for you replys

I do watch ws DVD's, the Majority of my DVD's ARE anamorphic ws and am very happy with the 50WH18B's quality, from my Pioneer 717. :D

I don't worry about the Games themselves, as I NEVER leave a paused image on the screen, and the in-game image is constantly changing. The same cannot be said for the Bars to the Sides.

I also have the Colour/Brightness/Contrast set to good levels.

-------
    Anyway does anyone have any answers to my original questions.
    Please! Please! Please!

Thanks