Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Widescreen Settings

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scoobysti, Mar 22, 2005.

1. scoobysti

scoobysti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ive got an infocus screenplay 4800 running with an Arcam dv89, (componant out)

ive always had my arcam set to 16.9 but after twiddling around (as you do), set it to 4.3 letterbox , then turned my infocus to native
    (pixel to pixel) which then turned the picture into widescreen , after doing this the picture was improved quite alot, better colour and more fine.all my dvds, widescreen and not look the correct aspect

not sure why this happened, can only think that my 4800 isnt a true 16.9 projector so it has to process a 16.9 picture whereas 4.3 is its natural state

if i set the arcam to 16.9 then the 4800 to native 4.3 ratio the picture size is all wrong with widescreen movies obviously

anyone else notice this????

it seems everyone says set your dvd player to 16.9 for best results....not in this case tho

it baffles me :rolleyes:

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    According to projector central, the 4800 is an 800 x 600 4:3 pj:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus_Home-ScreenPlay_4800.htm

Setting the DVD player to 16:9 means it is sending an anamorphic image to the projector, so it is getting the full amount of info from the DVD (720 x 576 for a 16:9 DVD) - people will look tall and skinny. You then have to use one of the aspect controls on the projector to squash and scale the image to the correct ratio. This method means you should get the best possible image.

If you set the dvd player to 4:3, it will send an image that is the correct aspect ratio (equivalent of 720 x 405 for the same 16:9 DVD) which will have less resolution, and the projector will scale up or zoom the image to fit the display which will result in an inferior image.

It sounds like you are using the wrong aspect control when in 4:3 mode. Pixel to pixel will probably work better from a PC sending 800 x 600.

HTH

Gary.

3. scoobysti

scoobysti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ahh i see, thanks for the reply