1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen screen distortion

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by simonwa, Nov 20, 2001.

1. simonwa

simonwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am fairly new to the world of widescreen and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. I own a Philips 28pw6615. In all modes i.e tv, DVD, playstation I am getting a slightly distorted display shape. The screen on the left hooks off and down at the edge of the screen and the left hand edge is slightly concave, whilst the right hand side is perfectly aligned. This is most noticeable when using a playstation due to the black border around the display area and various game menus which are symmetrically presented - highlighting the "bent" display area, though the problem is with any form of display. I was wondering if a bit of screen warping like this is fairly normal/acceptable, or whether I should have a clearly symmetrical presentation? The tv got fantastic reviews and I would have thought by now this problem wouldn't really exist. Also, when using 50/50 teletext and tv mode ( ie vertical split) the teletext is so out of focus at the edge of the screen that it is barely ledgible. Are these normal problems or should I have it looked at? Any feedback would be geatly appreciated.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Ahhh....the joys of Cathode Ray Tubes.

You should be able to get this adjusted; presumably it's under warranty. Most TVs have adjustments of this sort in an engineer's menu, although the extent to which the problems you describe can be electronically adjusted out will depend on the mechanical contruction of the tube - if it's too far out, it may not be possible to get it close to perfect. You can only get an engineer to try for you (or do it yourself if you are brave and know the access code for the menu).

Why is it that PC monitor manufacturers nearly always offer a comprehensive range of geometry adjustments, yet leave these controls off the user menus in TVs?

3. warryor

warryor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because monitor customers are a lot more likely to care about quality, noone would accept a totally distorted Excel spreadsheet, but a fast moving episode of "Xena" is not likely to show defects much. =)
    Also I would think monitor buyers are more technical than TV buyers, in general.....

Yeah, that's probably how the manufacturers think, or something along those lines. =)

(I don't really know, but still I think it sucks bigtime... but what can you do? Buy a plasma.... yeah right!)