1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mac_111, Jul 23, 2004.

1. mac_111

mac_111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Lodos 28 inch TV from Sainsbury's for the amazing price of £159. It almost seemed too good to be true!

All was well until just after the 1 month refund/exchange warranty ran out.
    Then the picture on occasion would rapididy deteriorate, with a strong overall greenish hue, as if the reds have been 'bleached' out. It is particularly strong (almost unwatchable) on the full widescreen setting of (16:9), less so on 14:9 and barely noticible on 4:3. Its not a scart related matter as the fault is evident when the TV ariel alone is connected.

I contacted their service department, who although sceptical agreed to send out an engineer, but stated that if he couldn't find a problem I would be liable for the callout fee. As the fault is intermittent there is a fair chance of this happening!

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the fault, or been unfortunate to have had a similar experience?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

2. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    12 month warranty m8, take it back to sainsburys and either exchange or refund.
    i would go for the refund as i bought a 'bargain' tv from mackro and it lasted for 362 days, i exchanged it for the next model up and that went after 368 days. naiko or some such tosh.

needless to say i then went out and spent abit more on a tv and it lasted for 5 years until last week when she went to the big tv shop in the sky.
    i now have spent more money on another decent tv ( sony 32fx68) as it pays to get the best you can afford ( within reason). if money is still tight and £160 is the most you can afford at the moment try some of these

goodmans 28 inch wide screen £199.99
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/453_119636.html

MATSUI 28" Nicam Stereo Widescreen TV £189.99
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...egory_oid=-20094&fm=4&sm=0&tm=2&show_all=true

BEKO 284248WNS *NICAM £199.99
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=&vp=6&bg=166&bp=284248s&bi=0&ird=1405

or a 24 inch wide screen but better make
    Philips 24PW6006C + Stand £199.99 plus £19.99 delivery.
    http://ws1.pricerunner.electricalworld.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PHIL-24PW6006C

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Have you got a camcorder? If yes - next time it misbehaves, take a videotape of it. Then you have evidence to show either an engineer or the store. In any case, just because it's outside the no quibble period, doesn't mean you aren't legally entitled to a refund, replacement or repair at YOUR option - you are!

4. mac_111

mac_111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The service company insisted I couldn't get a refund.
    Think I'll try Sainsbury's and see if they will play ball........

Thanks for the advice guys, especially the use of the camcorder, but this has convinced me that you pay for what you get!
    What would you suggest in the £350-500 price range, thats about as far as I can stretch (30 inch max)?

5. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    do you want it for normal tv use? i only ask because it depends how many scart leads you want, and if you intend to plug an amplifier or such like in for external sound. there are some decent tv's out there for that price but they dont usualy have many extras so to speak ( 100mhz, 3 scarts, rgb scarts,).

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    When a company tells you that it is not their policy to give refunds, tell them (politely but firmly) that it's not YOUR policy to accept an exchange, and that the customer's policy takes legal precedent.

Not sure if this is strictly true, but it's always worked for me! :thumbsup:

7. mac_111

mac_111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't need external amp etc, just the usual Video/Sky/PS2 inputs.

Cheers

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    There's a big difference between

buying something inexpensive and having an expectation that it WILL work, but perhaps not to the same standard as something costing more

........and buying something inexpensive and finding that it's broken/defective.

I see no reason at all why this model of TV (properly working) won't do a fair, but properly-behaved job. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean you should expect it not work correctly, and failure to display a primary colour is a fault rather than a design/costcutting weakness.

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Absolutely!

Thanks to this Forum, I recently bought my son a 28" Goodmans W/S TV from SkyBuy for the rediculous sum of £110! :clap:

It's obviously not up to the standard of my Panny 36PD30, but it does what's required and now he doesn't think his Dad is a Tight Git after all! :laugh: