1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen or 3CCD?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gogow, Aug 2, 2004.

1. gogow

gogow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've looking for a camcorder and have pretty much settled on either the Panasonic NV-GS120 or the Sony DCR-HC40.

They're both pretty much the same price and got within 1% of each other in the reviews in What Camcorder magazine, so there doesn't seem to be much to choose between the two.

The only major differences I can see are:

- The Panasonic has 3 CCDs.
    - The Sony has true widescreen.

So. my question is - does having 3 CCDs make a big difference to the image quality? I have a widescreen TV and like the thought of filiming in widescreen, but image quality is very important to me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

gogow

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Gogow, having 3 ccds makes a huge difference to the picture quality. The colours are far more vivid and the images are deeper and more life-like. The newer single chip CCDs however are getting a lot better and your point about widescreen is starting to become a major issue for many people. There is a long and passionate thread that raged a week or so ago about what is 'true widescreen' which may or may not help your decision. If it's any consolation, there are a large number of semi-professional users out there waiting for a true widescreen 3ccd camcorder at a reasonable price. The Canon XL2 has just been announced and is supposedly aimed at those people, the price however is going to be around £4K. If you decide you must have 3ccds and true widescreen the cheapest option is to go for a Panasonic DVX100 with the LA7200 anamorphic adapter, (or a second hand Canon XL1 or XL1s which will also accept an LA7200). Neither of these options are very cheap however, so I guess I haven't been much help... :suicide:

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The difference in PQ with a 3CCD camcorder can be very noticeable, but by how much depends on how you output the video footage. If you copy the footage to a VCR then the chances are the difference will be minamal, if at all noticeable. If you create good quality DVD's then the difference will stand out. Also the size of screen used for replay will affect the amount you notice the PQ differnces. If replay is on a PC monitor or an 8ft PJ screen for example.

Mark.

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If image quality is important, go for the panasonic, there are workrounds for widescreen footage (crap on cam 16:9 mode, adjust ratio in post, i.e keep shots wider than you usually might to allow 15% area loss top and bottom of screen, or optex converter, a budget version of which should be available soon).

Asides from the imporved colour quality of 3ccd the panasonic also gives you gain control, unwanted gain can ruin an otherwise great picture, and it isn't always obvious on a small LCD screen, but is really obvious on a big screen.