Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

widescreen monitor for pc use?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by m_j_wheeler, Jun 24, 2003.

1. m_j_wheeler

m_j_wheeler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any exprience with the samsung 172w widescreen pc monitor or any wide screen monitor for pc use? Will having a widescreen monitor make the pc display look streched out? I know it would work well for watching dvd's, but if i wanted to watch say, a divx film that wasnt in widescreen format, would it distort the picture and make it look strected out? Any help or advise would be greatly appriciated.

thanks

2. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This thread might be more suited to the HCPC forum.

The graphics card should be set to a widescreen resolution (either using its normal drivers or third-party software like Powerstrip). Also software DVD/divx players usually have settings to control the picture shape, just like the modes on a widescreen TV. This means that you get to choose whether it's distorted or not!

If you've got the space then I can recommend the Sont FW900 24" widescreen CRT. It's not a nice thin LCD screen but the picture is superb and it goes up to resoultions well beyond 1900x1200 (which is as small as I can watch). I have a corner desk, so the fact that it's deep (and bloody heavy) doesn't really matter because it's only taking up space that would otherwise be hidden behind a flat screen.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I've had a Sony FW900 for a while too, and can say it's probably the best CRT monitor available -- and it's 24" widescreen too.

As IanM says you need to use widescreen modes to get non stretched graphics, but most video cards support these.

This monitor is a 16:10 ratio (16/10 = 1.6), and it's easy to work out which modes will not look stretched by using same ratio.
    e.g. 1024x768 = 1.3333 so is a square picture and will be stretched, whereas 1920x1200 = 1.6 and is same 16:10 ratio as screen so no square pixels.

If you are going to get a widescreen monitor, check that your graphics card supports widescreen modes. (e.g. 1920x1200, 1360x768)

StooMonster

4. m_j_wheeler

m_j_wheeler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advise. have had a look at the resolution of the screen that i was interested in at has a max/native resolution of 1280 x 768, does that seem correct? If my maths is still any good i work that out as being a 1.6 ratio which is correct for widescreen isnt it? The graphics card i will be using is either going to be the nvidia geforce 4 fx5200 or the nvidia geforce4 ti4200,but i think most modern graphics cards will support 1280 x 768 resoultion settings. Does all this sound right?

matt
    I would consider getting the crt instead but as space is an issue for me i would have to have an lcd screen or a smaller crt, even though crt is better quality.